Instrumental fingerstyle tabs, best books?

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm a mediocre singer, so instrumental playing is most appealing for my own playing.
My ear is only slightly better, so I tend to need sheet music in front of me.

What books do folks suggest for a good selection of uke tabs for intermediate solo playing?

I'm smitten with the HMS soundbites.
What is this achingly pretty little piece, and where can I get the tabs for it and others?
https://vimeo.com/191747042

I'm a mediocre singer, so instrumental playing is most appealing for my own playing.
My ear is only slightly better, so I tend to need sheet music in front of me.

Hey, that sounds just like me :)

The books that have held my interest the longest have been John King's classical books, Ukulelezaza's books of standards and originals, and Tony Mizen's classical books. It's taken a few years but I'm at the point where I can work out simple instrumentals from lead sheets as well; if you can read standard notation or are willing to learn I highly recommend this approach.

There are some decent instrumental tabs posted online as well - a few recommendations can be found in this thread.

If you ever play linear tuning, I would recommend Daniel Ho's Polani fingerstyle book (standard notation and tabs to the entire Polani album).

Written for standard re-entrant tuning, I would also recommend Fred Sokolow's Beatles for Fingerstyle Ukulele.

I love the Daniel Ho Polani book and CD.
If you are a beginner. Mike Lynch just re-packaged his chords and melody. Three books in one for only $20. No shipping cost. You get the download within a day. Here you can check out the songs on the book! If you buy individually is $25 each that was how I bought them. It's really hurt now that he is having this big sales! I have since moved to books ( with English songs) arranged by Japanese and Korean musicans. They have really pretty style!
https://youtu.be/JWuL-zM2PBU

Wilfried Welti has some lovely solo arrangements in his various books - see here. He gives lots of video examples and some of the pdfs are free. If you're not so keen on the early or classical stuff try his Keltische Musik containing traditional Irish tunes. Here is a free sample of one of them.

Also have a look at the Tabs and Chords section of the forum - lots of resources there.

I'll second this recommendation. And he's a great player, too.
Wilfried Welti has some lovely solo arrangements in his various books - see here. He gives lots of video examples and some of the pdfs are free. If you're not so keen on the early or classical stuff try his Keltische Musik containing traditional Irish tunes. Here is a free sample of one of them.

Also have a look at the Tabs and Chords section of the forum - lots of resources there.

Thanks so much everyone!
I'm interested in both reentrant and linear (got enough ukes for both, LOL) - classical and international, folk and pop.
I'll look at on-line stuff but really prefer hard copy.
Keep'em coming. :)

Ken Middleton has some great stuff available for download too.

By the way did you find out any more about the tune in the HMS video. I wouldn't mind a copy too.

Ken Middleton has some great stuff available for download too.

By the way did you find out any more about the tune in the HMS video. I wouldn't mind a copy too.

If you ever play linear tuning, I would recommend Daniel Ho's Polani fingerstyle book (standard notation and tabs to the entire Polani album).

Written for standard re-entrant tuning, I would also recommend Fred Sokolow's Beatles for Fingerstyle Ukulele.

+1 for these, especially the Daniel Ho book
And as also mentioned by others, the Tony Mizen books are great, too.

I'm fortunate enough to have both linear and reentrant available to me without string changes, but will sometimes rework something to be able to be played on either. It doesn't work for everything, but is fun to do, too.

Since you expressed an preference for a hard copy, would simply being able to print out a copy suffice for you? If so, there are lots of tabs here at UU, and all around the internet. If there is something specific you want tab for, it's always possible that someone might be able to point you to it, though I'm not sure if anyone has found tab for the specific HMS video you cited.

I have the Ukulele Mike Lynch arrangements, four volumes of chord melody arrangements that are accessible, arranged for the chord melody style, and easy to get started with. I highly recommend them. Googling his "All Things Ukulele" site will link you to them. They're suitable for beginners on the cusp of intermediate; advanced players will find them easy and enjoyable. He may also demonstrate some of them at YouTube.

I really like Fred Sokolow's Bluegrass book (also like his Beatles book).

I really like Fred Sokolow's Bluegrass book (also like his Beatles book).

The Beatles book is a good one - it's not super-challenging for intermediate-advanced players, but I'm finding it really satisfying to just open to an arrangement and be able to play it reasonably well in a short time.

Since it's new since this thread was started, I'll add the new James Hill "Duets for One" book for more of a challenge.

Top Bottom