Martin Centennial Rollcall

Wow, I can't believe it! This dealer, Music123, had the nerve to re-sell this uke, after I returned it, telling them it was not a Centennial Style 1. Very unethical. What's even worse, I emailed Martin about this, they said they'd take care of it. After I returned it, I sent the same Martin customer service rep a followup email, telling him that Music123 had the uke back, and they should get it off the street. Obviously, that didn't happen. I wish I had Chris Martin's email, I'd love to clue him in on this situation, assuming that he would care, which he should.

Just got off the phone with Martin and they confirmed they were indeed made aware of it as the serial # is in their notes on their system with the notice of it being mislabeled in aOX Bamboo. The dealer was supposed to return it to the factory... They are now looking to see if they can find me a genuine "new" Style 1 Centennial from the factory.

I understand a factory error, it happens, but that dealer is bad news, reselling that bogus uke repeatedly can't be a coincidence. Hope you get one from Martin.

So here is the latest...

Martin says no more Style 1 Centennials...

As for the dealer, I worked out an amicable solution. Since I had been waiting for PeteyHoudini's review of his Bamboo uke with the idea that I would like to get one eventually, the result is being able to keep "The Mutant" Bamboo at a discounted price as a result of them "Making me an offer I couldn't refuse"...
So I agreed to that which ahead of schedule fulfills my Bamboo Ukulele purchase while getting a unique one, and now with some attached Ukulele Underground folklore...

Nice...a happy ending! You'll have better than 1 of 100, you'll have a one-off worth way more than your garden variety Centennial :D. Hope you'll post a review after you take it for a spin.

Last edited:
Yep, done deal. The guys at Music123 were really very good about the whole thing once the details were laid out. In fact, even the label on the Factory Box says "Style 1 Centennial- Natural", a real oddity indeed! So technically they really were going by the label on the box. They ended up having a conference call with the Martin Company headquarters in Nazareth and they all reviewed this thread. Martin at first wanted it returned to the factory, but it was decided and agreed that I could keep the ukulele and Music123 discounted it for a regular "open-box" 0X Bamboo model.

Now the better news... While awaiting for the confirmation from Music123 on the refund of the discounted difference back to my account, I found a proper Style 1 Brand New at another Martin Authorized dealer and purchased it. So all's well that ends well... :shaka:

So I'll now have two Style 1 Centennials in the Rollcall list at the top of the thread...

Thanks @ukuleleden for directing me back to this thread! What a story!!! You really follow up on things with Martin and the dealer. Quite impressive! I'm glad you've got the Bamboo and have an S1 Centennial on the way! Great news! Glad you got a discount on that Bamboo after all that rigmarole. Glad Martin allowed it to live!

I delayed my OX review because I started that silly "Completely Useless Ukulele Tips" series. I will record and upload two more useless tips this weekend at a friend's house for a different background: Tip #4 BLEEP BLEEP, and Tip #5 Debunk da Funk. LOL!!! I ended up using my OX Bamboo for the series. It just seemed right not to use my high-end new Martin ukes and just the Bamboo natural that is more affordable.

I will record for sure the OX review during the first weekend in June. It's just there are longer and more complex sound samples and I need to think up a few more jokes. LOL.

Thanks for this great thread!

PeteyHoudini

Hey Petey! Glad you found the comment to see this thread... And yes, I'm still looking forward to your review of your 0X Bamboo even more now. Having previously owned an 0XK Martin HPL soprano uke, I immediately found this build to feel lighter in weight and better balanced, likely as a result of that weight difference. Tone wise it seems slightly brighter with a more clear/crisp sound. Like you, I too prefer the Martin Flourocarbon strings, and they don't disappoint on the new 0X Bamboo. I also like the departure from the old gaudy stick-on greeting card style headstock lettering to this new silkscreen type script instead. Typical to my own Martin experience, this uke has a great feeling Neck, frets all properly dressed, and intonation spot-on up and down the neck on all four strings. I can easily see this one becoming one of my favorite Ukes .

Anyhow, looking forward to your next few videos, and of course your Bamboo review!

Ukuleleden

#15787 is in my "care and feeding"

Hello, here are images of mine:

IMG_2030.jpg
IMG_2031.jpg
IMG_2034.jpg
IMG_2033.jpg
IMG_2037.jpg

Since my grandmother also is celebrating her centennial this year, I am naming mine after her: "Little Inez" or "Little Lula Inez" or something like that in her honor.

Other ukes in my pack:

*Martin Iz Tenor
*KoAloha Naupaka Concert
*Kamaka Centennial Pineapple Soprano

Last edited:
Since my grandmother also is celebrating her centennial this year, I am naming mine after her: "Little Inez."

Other ukes in my pack:

*Martin Iz Tenor
*KoAloha Naupaka Concert
*Kamaka Centennial Pineapple Soprano

Congratulations to your Grandmother on her 100th! Nice little uke stable you have there. Welcome to the forum!

Welcome AlohaUkuleleman! Congratulations to your grandmother on her 100th birthday, as well as your new Martin Centennial Series 1! I'm sure Ukecaster will have your Centennial added to the roster soon.

The first time I seen this thread, I thought it said "recall" instead of "rollcall", I was thinking WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MARTINS?!

My order for the Martin Style 1 Centennial successfully arrived today. I am also happy to report it is an authentic Centennial Style 1, properly labeled and all...

Added to the registry along with some photos in the Martin Centennial Owner's Group here on UU...

Got my Style 3 today, setup great! (it better for that money) Plays like a dream and it's LOUD for a little guy. Serial number 2076847. I also have a Custom Shop Koa tenor that's one of my main players (one of too many). Rick

Got my Style 3 today, setup great! (it better for that money) Plays like a dream and it's LOUD for a little guy. Serial number 2076847. I also have a Custom Shop Koa tenor that's one of my main players (one of too many). Rick

Congrats Rick, I'll get your Centennial added to the owner's group list...

Top Bottom