New Bettah auction. The fun begins.

I really like the tone on this uke. The MBU's are well above my spend-levels, but I enjoy following the auctions and like to try to guess where each one will clear.

And, yes, I think a $2,400 jump on the second bid is a pretty strong signal. There is another bidder who has won several of last few auctions, so it will be interesting if he jumps in the mix.

Last edited:
Wow! That inlay! Since I was a mermaid in another life (Ha!), I want this one desperately. If only I had $12,001 laying around.

What workmanship and artistry! A breath-taking instrument.
Good luck, bidders! ^^

A work of art indeed! Love the design and use of the sound port.

Does it seem that more high-end (and even mid-range) ukuleles are being built with Spruce tops? The Adirondack spruce here looks stunning and I bet sounds great as well.

How beautiful… I wonder if the eventual winners actually play them or put them behind glass? The craftsmanship is so amazing they're like instant museum pieces.

Why oh why did they put a tuner over the mermaid's face in the video? Sacrilege! :p

Gorgeous. Seems like each uke he builds is more attractive and better sounding than the last. To have one of these ukes would be awesome, to say the least. I met a fellow last month who had two. I won't say how envious I was....but he couldn't play either of them very well. Interesting, the only person I've met who had one that could do it justice was our own Sukie.

How beautiful… I wonder if the eventual winners actually play them or put them behind glass? The craftsmanship is so amazing they're like instant museum pieces.

Why oh why did they put a tuner over the mermaid's face in the video? Sacrilege! :p

Well I play mine, and I know Sukie and WickedWahini11 both play theirs too. The tone is as amazing as the appearance. I still imagine some buy them as purely art but that isn't what Chuck would want. He builds them to be played and enjoyed, it's just a bonus that they are also beautiful to look at!

Last edited:
Gorgeous. Seems like each uke he builds is more attractive and better sounding than the last. To have one of these ukes would be awesome, to say the least. I met a fellow last month who had two. I won't say how envious I was....but he couldn't play either of them very well. Interesting, the only person I've met who had one that could do it justice was our own Sukie.

Reminds me of when people buy fast cars, but drive under the speed limit. Understandable in a way, but you gotta open it up sometimes an do what it was made for!

So if there are no more bids and if the person who bid $12,000 decides s/he can't pay that amount after all, the much lesser opening bid of $9600 becomes the winning bid? It seems to me this opens up the possibility of a situation where one person with two accounts can set himself up with a relatively low winning bid... just cap your low opening bid with another bid that no one will challenge using your other account, then the "winning bidder" mysteriously decides not to pay. I'm not saying this has happened. My conniving mind just thought of that possibility.

Perhaps there should be a limit as to how much you can outbid the previous bid in order to prevent that scenario from happening.

^^^^^
I think this thing did in fact happen previously.
Andrew re-listed the item and it was sorted out that way.

So if there are no more bids and if the person who bid $12,000 decides s/he can't pay that amount after all, the much lesser opening bid of $9600 becomes the winning bid? It seems to me this opens up the possibility of a situation where one person with two accounts can set himself up with a relatively low winning bid... just cap your low opening bid with another bid that no one will challenge using your other account, then the "winning bidder" mysteriously decides not to pay. I'm not saying this has happened. My conniving mind just thought of that possibility.

Perhaps there should be a limit as to how much you can outbid the previous bid in order to prevent that scenario from happening.

if you need an Answer to your question email Andrew at Andrew@theukulelesite
this happened before and he has worked it out....also I know Daisy Uke and she has the money to buy the MB...:) wish I did

Thanks, guys! Just wanted to reiterate that I wasn't suspicious of bidding shenanigans in this particular instance, and my apologies to Daisy and friends if it sounded like I was. The bidding pattern in this auction made me think "what if..." and that is all I was speaking to...

It still takes away the fun of watching people bid for this beautiful uke and waiting to see who is the winner. Last time I checked, no one is participating anymore!
I know what you mean but, from watching previous auctions, it may be that all the action will take place at the last minute.

I will be surprised if there isn't more bidding on this one, but it may not happen until the end. BTW you can't run out of time if you are truly interested, each bid extends the auction an additional minute, so all bidders have an opportunity to get in their best and final.

It still takes away the fun of watching people bid for this beautiful uke and waiting to see who is the winner. Last time I checked, no one is participating anymore!

the bidder is from Asia and she has a full time job....not sure what the time change but I know some have missed the bidding because they were sleeping...I think the bidder feels the MB is worth the bid she put in and will take her chances....sorry it takes the fun out for you....:) I am sure there will be a few more auctions in the future...

Top Bottom