Help with Video Posts on U U

resophonic

Reaction score
Hi there, I am having a problem when I post a video on U U. When others post a video they get a nice large still photo from the video, but when I post one I just get a small link to click on with no photo. Anyone have an idea or a tip how to do this correctly or an idea on what I am doing wrong?
Thank you in advance for your help on this.
James Clem
Portland OR

Sure James,

After clicking on Reply To Thread you will see the tabs just above. Find the film strip and place the url in the box and click ok and then post. Very simple once you get the hang of it.

Maybe I am missing something, but I still can get what I am after. I am talking about on the initial posting for a video (not a reply to thread) I get a still photo (thumbnail) from the video on You Tube instead of the URL. If you look at the video I posted a few days ago under Videos on the Forum of "Wonderful World" you will see what I mean. Not sure if after posting the video I can correct this but I hope I can get clued in so next time it will be better.
Thank you!

When you post a new thread, you can see a bunch of buttons below the box where you type in the title. Look for the button that looks like a couple of frames of a film strip. That's for inserting a video. Press it, then put the YouTube URL in that box, then press OK. Most times it works for me. If it doesn't work, then sorry, I don't know what the problem is.

By the way, you can go back to your "Wonderful World" post and edit it. Just replace the link with that film strip thingie. The playable picture of the video should appear in its place.

When you create a new thread, there are icons across the top above the white area, each icon is to insert an image, a video, etc. Just hover your mouse over the icon to see what it's for.

UU icons.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your response. I just used your advice and it worked! Your response was very clear and easy to follow. Thanks again!
Cheers,
James

Last edited:
So before I can post a video here, I first have to post it on uTube? That means I would have to sign up for Utube right?

The UU forum does not have any storage for videos within itself, your video needs to be first uploaded on some other site, whether it be YouTube. Vimeo, FaceBook, or your own web site (a domain that you control and can send files via FTP for example).

Video files consume a gigantic amount of hard drive space, and even with the fees collected from UU VIP and UU+, there is no way that this money would even make a dent in the cost for the petabytes of storage that would be required to hold the previous 10 yrs of UU videos that have been shared here.

OTOH, photos that are embedded in posts are TINY compared to the average (now 1080p HD) 3 mins of video.

Google (YouTube parent company) has literally billions+ of dollars in assets and revenue, which allows them to offer a 'free' (as in beer) video hosting service, and the only price to the user/uploader is that you have an account with them, which lets them insert 'cookies' into your browser so that they can track your internet habits and sell that information to 3rd parties unkown. The price is your privacy. It is up to each person to decide if this price is too high. Monetization of Google-platform-user habits is the principle source of income for Google, and yes Google owns YouTube since ~2007 (?IIRC?).

The UU forum uses a software called VBulletin, which is designed for the option to have videos HOSTED externally, but EMBEDDED into posts.

As described in the posts above, and that link that Kohanmike's picture is showing you which button to click that will insert/embed the video into the forum, but the video content itself is in fact hosted externally to UU and thus actually STREAMS from the external site and is rendered to YOUR computer via the embedded link in the forum post.

Hope this helps! :)

Booli, thank you for making me realize that I don't have to publish my videos to YouTube, but instead use my web hosting FTP server, luckily it's an unlimited storage and traffic account.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
Booli, thank you for making me realize that I don't have to publish my videos to YouTube, but instead use my web hosting FTP server, luckily it's an unlimited storage and traffic account.

If all goes well, you should see a self-hosted video from my own web site below. If not, then self-hosting is not enabled in the VBulletin config that UU is using:

[video]http://bd.entropyadept.com/pix/10secSilent.mp4[/video]

-

ok so just putting the link to the video via the filmstrip icon in the toolbar does not show the media like it does from YT, so I will investigate how this needs to be give to the UU forum and report back...

Last edited:
Top Bottom