What's on your pedal board?

Librainian,

I think the Trio+ will fulfill your desire for a "simple" solution. It takes a while to learn to use effectively.

At first, I thought the same thing. The only reason I even kept the Jamman when I bought the Trio+ was to have a pedal that could loop in stereo. In retrospect, I'm glad I kept both because they do different things.

The Trio+ is a fantastically simple arranging aid; however, it is inept at loop storage and recall. It has enough space (12 song slots, each with 5 separately loopable sections, expandable with memory cards), but it saves song sections automatically, which presents a major issue in a live setting. I think Digitech envisions the Trio+ as a home practice and "composition" aid (note also its lack of stereo).

Where the Trio+ falls short, the Jamman excels; simple loop recall and manipulation are its forte. It can store 400 song sections separately (with a memory card), and it will not save unless you tell it to. This summarizes why I arrange with the Trio+ and record the arrangements with the Jamman. I'm sure using a computer to save and recall the loops would render the Jamman redundant.

In theory, the Trio+ has the potential to rearrange songs on the fly, slowly evolving a song through its repeating sections in ways novel to solo musicians. I'm convinced that it's entirely possible to make the Trio+ work well in a live setting through deft manipulation of its features; however, this would require managing the Trio+'s myriad features while simultaneously playing the ukulele, a feat I have not yet managed to accomplish.

Thanks for the excellent reply. Very clear indeed. This will be invaluable as I decide how to best use this. My original thought was to to train the parts, work out my live bit and then patch the whole thing into my Zoom R16 mixer with a simultaneous microphone input on another track. I do see that the pedal adjusts the mix depending on how it's connected. If I use the Mixer out connection then speaker cabinet emulation is applied to the uke signal, which I'm not sure is ideal but it would be the simplest connection.

I also thought about using a slightly more complicated mixer + amp hookup shown in the manual. This way the uke passes through my mustang amp into the mixer and the backing tracks via the mixer output will give me separate tracks with appropriate emulation for each. I can mix this into stereo with the vocals on a third track, all recorded simultaneously as I record video. This will be feel substantially more like natural ensemble playing than my current method.

I've tried a few multi effect pedals. Although they all worked, I found them a faff to set up and the preset effects are nearly always over the top. So, for the time being I have gone back to single effect pedals and just string together those I want at any time. I don't have a pedal board as such as I just use them when recording.

I like an acoustic uke sound but I also like to experiment (play) so...

-----
The only pedal on my wishlist at the moment is an Electro-Harmonix POG.

As fate would have it a Micro POG popped up on Craig's List so I grabbed it. This thing is a lot of fun!

I have several BOSS pedals to play with, but for now I'm just using a BOSS Loop Station RC-3 for those solo kanikapila sessions.

Resurrecting this thread to say a big THANK YOU(!!!) to everyone who shares their expertise re: DI boxes. While sifting through old UU threads to learn more about some of the DIs mentioned in this thread, I found mention of another option, the Radial Tonebone PZ-Pre. After much hemming and hawing as I tried to decide between the Radial PZ-Pre and Headway EDB-2, I went with the PZ-Pre, and I have no regrets.

I'll post a proper review of it soon to the reviews section, but suffice to say I am tickled by its wonderful features and quality.

Having recently been infected with Pedal Acquisition Syndrome, I tell you Beware! Here be demons!

I have already outgrown my first pedalboard. I have a slightly larger one in the mail now. My criteria is: portable and battery powered.

Here is what I have now:
IMG_1414.jpg

Having recently been infected with Pedal Acquisition Syndrome, I tell you Beware! Here be demons!

I have already outgrown my first pedalboard. I have a slightly larger one in the mail now. My criteria is: portable and battery powered.

Here is what I have now:
View attachment 100833

Is that your usual setting for the OB.1? Daymn, son!!!....

Haha, No, the compression knob must have turned when I took it out of the case. I usually have it somewhere between 12 & 1PM. The output knob is usually set anywhere between 10AM-1PM.

PS. I use this train with a new Roland AC30 Amp every Saturday now playing at a local Farmers Market (no power available).

Last edited:
I thought I'd stumbled onto the wrong forum for a minute,lol

The rationale for getting into PAS goes something like this. I'm now part of the rhythm section of the group that I play with which includes a bass player (always amplified), a guy playing an electronic drum thingo (amplified of course) and me. I first started on the soft stuff, just a Yamaha THR 5A battery powered practice amp but then things got crazy and I added the Para DI. I though that would be enough but no, I had to go further. A looper, an Octaver ( for a bit of bass when the bass player couldn't make it). But by then I was out of control. Wouldn't that chorus/flanger sound great when we played Space Oddity? A bigger amp to cut through that electronic drum kit and how can I express myself without a compressor/boost pedal and a delay? I don't know where it's going to end...... Hello, my name's Hollis and I'm a pedal addict. Hello Hollis, the group chants.

Love it what a great post , i bought one of these hoping it would cure me Digitech RP 360 spend more time tweeking it than playing my Uke now.

Hollis, that post was hilarious. That litter of pedals is adorable! Before you know it, they'll be all grown up and having pedals of their own.

Frigiliana, a local music store has a used RP360XP for sale. I've demoed it a few times to explore some effects, and I've come to the conclusion that the road to distraction is paved with effects pedals.

As for where I stand in this process....instead of the big auction site buy 'n try cycle, I've been listening to and demoing pedals to find what I want. A year from now, I'll likely have put together a basic board.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I really ask for advice from a friends son in law who is a Nashville based musician. Most importantly he gave my a map of where to put what in the signal chain.

You're lucky that you can try before you buy. Not so here at the edge of the known universe.

I am lucky. I have to drive 25-60 miles to try stuff out, but it's worth the occasional trip if it helps me realize the sounds I'm seeking.

I've been trying to learn about signal chain placement as well. Is the delay really before the comp, or does it just not fit on the pedalboard? From what I've gathered from bandmates, the generally recommended order is: volume/tuner ---> drive/compression ---> pitch (octave, ring, random noise, etc.) ---> modulation (tremolo, vibrato, phaser) ---> delay/reverb (sometimes chorus in this area) ---> looper.

Last edited:
I am lucky. I have to drive 25-60 miles to try stuff out, but it's worth the occasional trip if it helps me realize the sounds I'm seeking.

I've been trying to learn about signal chain placement as well. Is the delay really before the comp, or does it just not fit on the pedalboard? From what I've gathered from bandmates, the generally recommended order is: volume/tuner ---> drive/compression ---> pitch (octave, ring, random noise, etc.) ---> modulation (tremolo, vibrato, phaser) ---> delay/reverb (sometimes chorus in this area) ---> looper.

That bucket delay just doesn't fit on that board. I have a larger pedaltrain in the mail as we speak.

Your signal chain is the same as was recommended to me with the DI at the end.

Your signal chain is the same as was recommended to me with the DI at the end.

I spoke with the electric guitarist in my acid jazz combo (the same guitarist who recommended that signal chain to me) about your signal chain, and she suggested a few other options....

Since you use a Para Acoustic DI, you could use the effects loop. Run the OB-1 and Sub Up into the DI's input, then place the chorus, brigadier (or brigadier, then chorus, your choice), and ditto in the effects loop of the DI. This way, the compressor in the amplifier before the effects loop won't be trying to compensate for the time-based effects, which both cleans up the time-based effects and allows you to blend the brigadier, chorus, and looper into the dry signal all at once. This idea sounds like an excellent suggestion to me.

Alternatively, run everything but the OB-1 into the input of the DI, then run the OB-1 in the effects loop. Then the compressor and boost applies to everything else in the signal chain. This will produce a different sound (I didn't understand why; I was still wrapping my mind around the rationale for her previous suggestion), but she says it's worth trying.

Trust me when I say she knows what she's talking about. Try these other options, then go with the one that tickles your fancy.

Last edited:
Really appreciate you taking the time to provide this advice. My Nashville friend also encouraged me to experiment. Making use of the effects loop was going to be my next investigation. My new pedaltrain is at the post office awaiting pick up. Now's the time to try those alternation signal paths.
Cheers!

Additionally, she said to use a good Y cable in the effects loop of that DI (I forgot to include this detail).

You're very much welcome--I'm glad to spread the aloha. I wouldn't have known this stuff either had my bandmate not shared her knowledge with me. Our collective willingness to share our knowledge and, within our rights, our resources is part of what makes this forum such a worthwhile place.

Which pedaltrain did you spring for? Should I choose to purchase a pedaltrain, I'm considering the classic 2 and novo 24. Once you've settled into the new board, I'd love to see a picture of your board layout and an outline of your pedal chain.

Last edited:
I like to always run into my preamp first. Period. It's built to talk directly to the pickup so I would never want to put anything between the two that might compromise impedance/buffering. That way the signal that hits the other effects is as polished as it's going to get.

That leads to the main question I have: are you using the XLR out or not? As far as I can tell, that would be the main/only reason to use the effects loop (I have the Baggs Venue, which does very similar things). If you're just running 1/4" out, I would put the DI first in line and stack everything after it. This is how I've got my board set up right now. I figure any gig I'm going to NEED an XLR out for will have a DI onstage already.

You might also try putting the octave before the comp. Might track a bit better with the uke pickup... (Probably not a lot better, but maybe a bit.)

I'll try to post pics tomorrow of my box.

Top Bottom