Sale or Trade (Preferable) : Mason Long Neck (17 inch scale) Spruce & Koa Concert Uke

rappsy

Reaction score
Sale or Trade (Preferable) : Mason Long Neck (17 inch scale) Spruce & Koa Concert Uke

******************************************************************************************************************************
I just found out from Kevin Mason, the builder of the Uke in this post, that he has built a baritone Uke for the legendary Kimo Hussey. If any of you are on the fence about Mason Guitars and Ukuleles, this should put your mind at ease. One of our most famous ambassadors plays one. ******************************************************************************************************************************

I like to buy and sell Ukes as it is the only way I can determine what I like and dislike. Videos & sound samples only go so far with me. I have to touch and play it to make these determinations. It is fun, enlightening, and has made me many friends here.

A couple of months ago, a Uke came up that I was extremely skeptical I was going to like, but it fit in with the perspective I have about trying and experimenting. I was lucky enough to pick up a 19 inch custom Kanile'a Uke that has literally and figuratively changed my thinking of what I like and how I play. Not only is the 19 inch tenor scale working out extremely well, it has given me the ability to more cleanly play barres and inverted chords in the higher frets.

I have also determined that the 1.5 nut width has made quite a difference in how I play. It also reopened my eyes to nylon strings, and I am surprised at this as well. I also like the fact that the action is not terribly low on this Uke and the strings are a bit thicker. Again, all things foreign to my way of thinking up till now. This was a lot for one Uke to do, but for me, and I really believe this, this appears to be my "THIS IS IT" uke.

I also know that I do not want to only have one scale to play on and have concluded the 1.5 inch is important to me. With that in mind, I have decided to part with some of my Ukes that I quite frankly didn't think I would consider moving on.

First up is the Mason LN Concert, hand made by Kevin Mason in Illinois. This is a 17 inch tenor scale on a concert body scale. Instead of repeating everything here, I will refer you to my NUD (New Uke Day) I did last year when I purchased it. Everything you would want to know is there. (I just recently gave this to my luthier who did a complete go over. Everything is good. While it was there, I had him give it a thorough cleaning, and it looks fantastic.) Case is included.

The condition is VG++. It is not new and when I bought it, the Uke had been travelling with the seller for a few festivals before it sold. There are a few marks and dings, but nothing worth mentioning except for the fact that I am an open book on my sales and want you to know about it. If you are looking for pristine, this isn't it. If you are looking for something special that sounds and looks great, this is for you.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...son-Long-Neck-Concert-Ukulele&highlight=mason

Here are the pictures.

https://goo.gl/photos/sajRPBwx444Z3Uub7 (LOOK AT THAT INLAY!!!.)

I would prefer to trade for a 1.5 17 inch tenor, such as the Kanile'a custom, the 17 inch version of the one I have now, or a K2 or K3 Tenor. I am open to suggestions so bring it on and don't be shy, but please don't offer a soprano or concert scale. (Cash can go in either direction for the right Uke.) I would also sell it, but prefer a trade. I'll also consider 1 3/8 necks but would prefer 1.5.

I have had numerous conversations with the usual suspects on UU and it seems that growth as a player makes these sorts of changes occur. It is still a shock to the system.

Those that know me, know I work with quality products. This is no exception. I have lots of references here so have confidence doing business with me.

If a trade isn't out there, I have over $1300 in it, so make a sales offer. I will not get insulted, but be reasonable. This is a quality Uke that stands among the best in it's price range.

WHATCHA GOT?.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Packaging, Packaging......we don't need no stinking Packaging. Oh sorry wrong movie.

I know you love this Mason uke Lenny so selling it really proves how much you like the Kanilea super tenor.

Thanks to all the happy Ukers that I have traded with and sold things to who have received their Ukes with no incidents. I do spend the time it takes to get it there safely and appreciate the plugs.

I would love the opportunity to send this to someone that will appreciate it. Anyone have something for me to consider?

What a lovely instrument, Lenny. That inlay is absolutely stunning! I have a long neck Kanilea super concert and love that scale, too.

So is the nut width on this less than 1.5, and that is why you are moving on?

It had a complete go over and I'm happy to say it looks great and sounds great.

Someone is going to be very happy. Why not make it you?

Last edited:
Kevin Mason, the luthier, is now in possession of the instrument and he will be bringing it to the Midwest Uke Camp which is on June 23-25 in Michigan.

http://www.midwestukecamp.com/

Please stop by, say hello to Kevin, check out the quality of his Ukuleles, and buy mine.

Enjoy the festival.

Top Bottom