where to buy Gcea strings for a baritone uke?

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I already bought a southcoast set that is listed as okay for linear c tuning of a 19" ( baritone). They are expensive, plus I go through a set of strings rather quickly. So I am looking for baritone linear Gcea (low G) at a lower price.

Aquila has a bari gcea set (reentry).

Q1-- what single string should I get to use for bari low G to use with the Aquila gcea set?

Q2-- does anyone know a source for a Gcea string set for a bari?

Q3-- if I wanted to assemble, string by string, a bari Gcea set from various commonly available string sets, what would you suggest?

In case you haven't already noticed, I am pretty much clueless about string "technicalities".Ergo, any help or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Just FYI, I'm pretty sure Ken does one as a custom set, just in case you want to try them next. I could be wrong but I kinda remember having a set, but then I changed strings a lot and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Don't feel like an orphan-- I sometimes have to look at my driver's licence in order to remember my name.

I have 2 sets of low G sets on order from Living Strings. I know what you mean, I am amazed that I am still allowed out by myself!

They do. Here is a link to my review- https://youtu.be/81SDPvpj0xA
I viewed the link. I was startled that the Gcea-strung bari sounded a lot like the tenor. Too much like a tenor IMO.

The southcoast set I ordered has a wound G. Hopefully that will give it a bit more fullness than LS's unwound #4. One of my other options is to use regular DGBE bari strings and tune it to EAC#F#. At those times when I want Gcea, I'll put a capo on fret #3. Or is that an altogether dumb idea?

Last edited:
Early on, I experimented with various gcea sets on my baris, in an effort to concentrate my chord learning to just one tuning (switching back and forth between ukes of different sizes). I quickly learned that I just don't like gcea on my baris and went back to dgbe. I just have, over time, learned to sort the different chord names in my mind.

One of my other options is to use regular DGBE bari strings and tune it to EAC#F#. At those times when I want Gcea, I'll put a capo on fret #3. Or is that an altogether dumb idea?

Not a dumb idea. You may want a "specialized" string for the A (or could go up to Bb) tuning if the tension is too much with your standard G tuning strings. I had A tuning on a 19" scale bari and it worked well. I don't recall if I ever capoed up to 3. I will say that at that point you're into tenor scale territory so if you have a low G tenor, you might as well play that. But it will work if you didn't want to switch ukes for whatever reason.

I have a friend who used a set of D'Addario Cuatro strings and a classical guitar string to tune his baritone GCEA. Here is what he used:

G - D'Addario nylon guitar G string
C - D'Addario Cuatro A string
E - D'Addario Cuatro B string
A - D'Addario Cuatro F# string

He really liked tension (not too floppy or hard) and sound. While it sounded nice, like another poster mentioned, it sounded too much like a tenor for me, but to each their own.

The other option is Mainland Ukes. They sell Guadalupe strings in GCEA (http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=85&categoryId=2)

.......The other option is Mainland Ukes. They sell Guadalupe strings in GCEA (http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=85&categoryId=2)
Yessss!!! I think these are exactly what I have been seeking.

I tried to order them but Mainland's website wanted to charge me over $40 to send strings to Hawaii. USPS 1st class mail can handle a measly set of uke strings, & that certainly doesn't cost anywhere near $40. I sent Mike a message. I hope he fixes that snafu so I can order those strings from him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Added info as of several hours later)

I heard back from Mike later this same day & the shipping costs have been squared away. I bought the Guadalupe strings and am eagerly awaiting the chance to try them out. :drool:

Last edited:
Were you happy with these strings?

Yessss!!! I think these are exactly what I have been seeking.

Hello there. I am helping a fairly new ukulele player who is moving to baritone because it fits his hand better than his original uke, a tenor.

He prefers (low) GCEA tuning and has entrusted me to find a great-sounding string set for his Pono Acacia Baritone. He bought it used locally with DGBE strings.

So I wonder, bellgamin were you happy with those strings? Have you found some you like better? Is there someone/ somewhere else you would refer me?

Thanks for your time, and I hope you are very happy with your bari!

D

Top Bottom