REVIEW: Ohana CK-28 *Nunes style vintage re-issue*

weeshan

Reaction score
Having had an interest in the early ukes made by Nunes/Dias/Santo, I couldn’t pass up the Ohana CK-28 limited edition Nunes re-issue. The look isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I LOVE the narrow waist and rope/chevron decoration. This is a concert model in all-solid mahogany. A nice basic mahogany daily player with some vintage flair, is how I view this instrument. I already had a concert in low G so this model is my high G.

PROS

1. Brand heartily endorsed by Mim, whose opinion I trust.
2. Very light construction, almost like the old Martins, resulting in a lot of projection/resonance.
3. Value-Ohana has some of the most affordable all-solid ukuleles
4. Variety-Ohana has a model of uke for pretty much anyone, from the least expensive laminate to higher-end, limited edition models and many tonewoods to choose from.

CONS

Expect small finish imperfections

MANUFACTURER SPECS

BODY
Top: Premium Solid Mahogany
Back: Premium Solid Mahogany
Sides: Premium Solid Mahogany
Finish: Satin Finish
Binding: Nunes style rope binding
Body Type: Vintage
Sound Hole: Rosette in Nunes style rope inlay
Body Length: 11″

NECK
Neck: Mahogany
Finish: Vintage
Nut: Bone
Scale Length: 15″

GEAR
Headstock: Nunes style / Mahogany / Chevron design
Tuners: Gotoh friction
Strings: Aquila
Saddle: Bone
Total Length: 24″

INITIAL THOUGHTS

Ohana produces many models of ukes including some really unique models and vintage throwbacks. The CK-28 is their interpretation of the early ukes made by the likes of Nunes, Santo, Dias etc. Their version stays pretty close to photos of originals Ive seen. The soprano model of course has the narrowest waist and the most “peanut” shape…but the concert I purchased still has the look, just a little larger. Following the old style, the CK-28 has friction tuners (which I prefer), lots of rope/chevron binding & inlay, a flush mounted fretboard (that doesnt extend over the body of the uke like most) and a satin, open-pore finish.

FIT & FINISH

Im going to start this section of the review by quoting something Mim told me herself. “Ohanas aren’t overbuilt in terms of finish". As in…expect potential minor imperfections just like most mass produced overseas ukes. With that said…I am absolutely brutal when going over my new ukes. If there is a single microscopic finish flaw, I will see it. And even so, Im still a fan of the Ohana brand due to sound quality and affordability. On this particular uke, the satin finish had a couple of very tiny rough spots on the top where the spray maybe pooled up into a teeny tiny spot (Im talking the tip of a pencil, tiny)...a little flick of the fingernail and I pretty much removed them. There is a bit of visible glue on the braces inside and a little line or mark through the wood on the bridge that looks like maybe the finish was smudged on one spot before dry. The rope binding and chevron decorated fretboard/headstock are a very large part of the appeal of this particular uke and I found the installation of them to be decent with no glaring gaps, warping, bumps, cracking etc.

SOUND

I love the sound of Ohanas. They are just so thin and light that they project really well. My solid mahogany soprano Ohana is a cannon and louder than some concerts Ive played. I wasn’t thrilled when I first played this one but had a sneaking suspicion the nylguts weren’t doing this solid uke any justice. The sound was a nice woody warm tone right out of the box but was more restrained in volume than I thought it should have been. Since my solid mahogany soprano is a cannon, I expected this one to be even more so. So, I replaced the nylguts with some fluoros (Oasis brights) and have come to the conclusion that for "me" personally, solid mahogany must have fluoros. The change in sound was dramatic. A loud booming cannon that still possesses a nice bell-like chime. Out of my 8 ukes, only my solid mahoganies have those bell like tones that I adore. It was the sound of this instrument that I heard on multiple youtube vids that made me decide to ultimately purchase it.

VALUE

If you are looking for a great sounding ukulele without the high end price tag...and dont mind the potential for small finish flaws, I completely recommend Ohana brand ukuleles. I know for some, mass produced isnt where its at...but I tend to be a very frugal person no matter how great my finances are. Paying $1000 for a uke doesnt really interest me when I know there are so many truly great sounding instruments for much, much less. Its almost a challenge for me in my life to find the best of everything I can, at the least cost. I review everything I buy to death and generally review for weeks and weeks or longer before purchasing. At one point, I had a beautiful glossy tenor. It had to be kept in a case at all times, there was always the fear of scratching the gloss finish. It took the fun out of it for me. I have said I will likely never own a gloss finished instrument again. I prefer to stick with instruments that are nice and sound great, but not so nice that Im afraid of using them. Ohana fits the bill nicely. Lots of variety, many tonewoods (many in satin finish for folks like me), light resonant construction and a common sense price tag to pull it all together.

20170516_175207.jpg20170516_175112.jpg20170516_175249.jpg20170516_175322.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks..the neck on mine has the same dark color/stain as the body. Yours is much lighter.
Also it looks like yours use headstock veneer. The chevron on mine is installed directly in the headstock wood. Maybe this has changed in the later models.

Attachments

• 18C50D8A-0E01-4FDC-894D-229ADFE9107A.jpg
    18C50D8A-0E01-4FDC-894D-229ADFE9107A.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 49
  • C442921F-8C25-4F35-91D6-043088595500.jpg
    C442921F-8C25-4F35-91D6-043088595500.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Nice review, thanks. Not surprised Aquila nylguts didn't bring out the best in it. Likely a concert size in my future. Shedding a few, plan on buying a few. In the process of getting my Ohana CK35-8 Taropatch with Worth Clear reentrant strings.

Very comprehensive review, thank you.

I like the look of the Nunes style instruments, including this one, but haven't had a chance to try any. Does the flush fretboard have any negative effect on picking with the strings closer to the body?

Very comprehensive review, thank you.

I like the look of the Nunes style instruments, including this one, but haven't had a chance to try any. Does the flush fretboard have any negative effect on picking with the strings closer to the body?

Mine was set up by Uke Republic. The action was set very low which is great for picking. I tend to pick the majority of the time and have had no issues. Very easy to play, real comfortable.

Excellent review......thank you for taking the time and effort. I have not had the opportunity to play an Ohana but I like what you have to say about their light weight and bell like tone. I'm normally not a fan of rope binding but on this instrument everything works well together for a great vintage look. The chevron up the fretboard is my favorite visual on this instrument. Congratulations on a great purchase.

I completely agree on your comments regarding the cons of the finish. It was more acceptable on my CK 38 which is less about a perfect finish and more about the Martin-like style in solid Mahogany. The CK-38 is brilliant at what it achieves at its price point. However, a not so long ago attempt at acquiring a super soprano from Ohana in the SK-30 L model yielded more fit and finish mishaps then I could accept, especially in the neck joint that was sloppily gapped and filled with an excessive glue-mix to address the problem. That one went back for a refund, but I would not be deterred from that one particular of purchasing another Ohana. They are indeed excellent instruments for their price points.

Top Bottom