YT: Top Comments vs Newest First

redpaul1

Reaction score
I nearly stuck this under 'Whinges About The Web' but in fact, it's not a whinge but a tip. Apologies in advance if I'm teaching grandmothers to suck eggs.

When Google took over YT they made a lot of changes, a lot of which we had trouble getting to grips with, and much whinging followed (mine own included).

One of the top whinges was about YT abandoning chronological ordering for comments in favour of some opaque algorithm generating 'Top Comments'. Chronological ordering remained available, but not as a default, only as a 'Newest First' option that had to be chosen every time.

All kinds of programmers jumped in with offers of browser extensions to force YT to reorder comments in chronological order, but they never really work (well not for me anyway).

If you are the kind of person who does like to view people's comments on your videos in chronological order, I have discovered a way to have 'Newest First' as a default setting. Be aware that this will only work for videos you upload, but at least it's a start.

What you need is 'Advanced Settings'. You can either access these at the upload stage, or retrospectively via 'Edit' mode in Video Manager...

In 'Edit Mode' you'll see a screen like this - click on 'Advanced Settings':

Edit_zpsz2ubki6m.png

In 'Advanced Settings' you'll see a screen like this:

Top%20Comments_zpsuuzeevpb.png

Click on the 'Sort By' drop-down menu and choose 'Newest First':

Newest%20First_zpsqnwjxlky.png

You'll still have manually to sort comments in other people's videos into chronological order, but at least comments in your own video will be ordered that way - if that's your preference of course.

Attachments

• Top Comments.jpg
    Top Comments.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Newest First.jpg
    Newest First.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Edit .jpg
    Edit .jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I mostly view comments on my own videos on iPad/Android using the YT Studio App. The comments there are in chronological order. It's chronological order for all comments but it does say which video they relate to. You can also check them on a PC by selecting "Creator Studio" on the icon at the top right, then "Community" from the menu on the left, you get comments on all your videos there - in chronological order AFAIR

As Paul says for other peoples videos, you just have to take them as they are.

Maybe it is/was something to do with how you have/view yours, when I go to mine, I have normal black text on a white background, & they are sorted newest first, (latest at the top), in a column.

Maybe it is/was something to do with how you have/view yours, when I go to mine, I have normal black text on a white background, & they are sorted newest first, (latest at the top), in a column.

Black text on a white background is just a display option, Keith. If you look top left on a YT page you'll see a lightswitch:

Up for BoW White.PNG

Down for WoB Black.PNG

Top Bottom