My Girl's Pussy (novelty song) on vintage Washburn uke and Kazoo

jasontaulbee

Reaction score

It's been a while since I recorded, and I caught a patch of sun today, so here you go! It's a cover of My Girl's Pussy, a delightful little pet novelty song originally recorded by Harry Roy in 1931. I'm playing a 1922 Washburn 701 mahogany uke and honking away on a metal Wazoo (kazoo with a horn). Forgive my voice, as it is definitely the worst instrument on display lol. Feel free to comment, fair or foul!

Me and my pussy :p

Steve And Fidget.jpg

Proof that poor taste existed if not thrived even 80+ years ago.

Proof that poor taste existed if not thrived even 80+ years ago.

Why thank you, kind sir... I take that as a compliment and am glad to carry on a proud tradition. What kind of person doesn't like pussy (cats) anyway? Must be a dog person, eh? ;)

And that humor wasn't stifled by SJWs and excessive political correctness.

Humor? Perhaps to some. Pointing out that feigned innocence while spouting lewd double-entendres is in poor taste hardly makes me a social justice warrior or excessively politically correct. (If you knew me at all you'd know that I'm anything but.) It merely makes me observant.

Humor? Perhaps to some.

Humor is subjective, and thank god for that!! That is probably why back in the good old days, the newsstand used to have The New Yorker and The National Lampoon side by side (and some people <gasp> actually read both). I do find it ironic (WARNING: higher humor alert) that you have Groucho Marx as an avatar, but don't seem to have an appreciation for double entendres (as he was famous for them). To each his own, i suppose, and the fact that this song has remained known (and relevant) for 90 years probably speaks for itself.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed it...

Humor is subjective, and thank god for that!! That is probably why back in the good old days, the newsstand used to have The New Yorker and The National Lampoon side by side. I do find it ironic (WARNING: higher humor alert) that you have Groucho Marx as an avatar, but don't seem to have an appreciation for double entendres (as he was famous for them). To each his own, i suppose, and the fact that this song has remained known (and relevant) for 90 years probably speaks for itself.

I'd hardly equate Groucho's double entendres with a song extolling one's enthusiasm for stroking his wife's/girlfriends warm vagina every chance he gets.

I'd hardly equate Groucho's double entendres with a song extolling one's enthusiasm for stroking his wife's/girlfriends warm vagina every chance he gets.

All Good. I, however, certainly would, and I'm fairly sure that at least most of the Marx Brothers (based on other anecdotes) would have laughed too. But again, to each their own, and the important thing to me is that you took the time to listen to and critique my performance. I definitely need the feedback. Thanks again!

That was awesome!! You're my new ukulele hero! Finally, something entertaining.

Dude, thanks! Thats the nicest thing anybody has said to me all day. I have some other videos that I have posted here, and on youtube, if you want to check them out, and am actually working on recording an album of original (mostly novelty) uke songs this fall. Thanks again for the great encouragement!

I have some other videos that I have posted here, and on youtube, if you want to check them out, and am actually working on recording an album of original (mostly novelty) uke songs this fall.

Nice playing and good luck with the album. I'd like to check-out your YouTube videos, could you post a link or point me in the direction of them please.

This particular song didn't work that well for me. No moral judgement or anything like that, but rather that I found it a bit dull and 'in your face' in comparison to other (better) double entendre type songs. To my ears - I'm definitely not claiming to be a judge at all - it didn't show your skills off to best advantage, but I'm pleased that you posted it and thank you for sharing your performance.

Edit. I do hope that my post (#13) didn't in anyway prompt #14 below, but if so then I can only apologise to the Mods and OP (and be confused).

Last edited:
We all get the double meaning. No need to set it out in plain language - after all, that's what this kind of song was intended to avoid.

Like it or loathe it, this kind of music hall/burlesque humour is a valid and established song genre. By all means express your preferences, but don't get carried away otherwise people report threads and wake the mods up.

Thanks.

I think someone over reacted, these kinds of song were very popular in their day & have lasted the test of time. :)

My only comment, just remember that there 'might' be youngsters around, watch the volume when you listen, or they might have some awkward questions. ;)

Nice playing and good luck with the album. I'd like to check-out your YouTube videos, could you post a link or point me in the direction of them please.

This particular song didn't work that well for me. No moral judgement or anything like that, but rather that I found it a bit dull and 'in your face' in comparison to other (better) double entendre type songs. To my ears - I'm definitely not claiming to be a judge at all - it didn't show your skills off to best advantage, but I'm pleased that you posted it and thank you for sharing your performance.

Edit. I do hope that my post (#13) didn't in anyway prompt #14 below, but if so then I can only apologise to the Mods and OP (and be confused).

Hi Graham,
No worries... it wasn't you who woke up the mod :) I appreciate your kind comments, and critique. This is exactly what I need. Here's another song i recorded a couple months ago... it is an original, and is more of a witty type novelty song. Thanks again, and please let me know what you think!

(video in next post)

an original more 'witty' novelty song

Here's a more 'witty' original of mine. Would love your comments!!

Here's a more 'witty' original of mine. Would love your comments!!

I thought that your own song was really good, it could have been written by a professional (but don't give up the day job). Your playing is, to my ears, very good; your singing is maybe not quite doing your song and playing justice - my playing is rubbish and my singing even worse but you asked for (honest) comments.

Like someone posted above novelty items and double meaning lyrics have a long and successful history, I suggest that for inspiration and guidance you look at the work of those who both were experts in that area and successfully entertained for a living (George Formby comes to my mind but there were be plenty of others too).

I think that your song and playing above deserves a better 'airing' than it will get on this injured thread, I suggest that you repost on a new one and ask for feedback. Hope that's a help.

Graham,

Thanks a bunch for your thoughtful and honest criticism! I posted this song last year (around election time) here at UU, and got some nice comments, but none as well thought out and expressed as yours. I agree that my singing leaves a lot to be desired, for sure, but I always thought my playing was on about the same level, so i'm relieved lol. I have lots of practice for sure, but that's the fun part, right?

Thanks a bunch for the encouraging words regarding my songwriting skills, as that's one area that I'm not always the most confident in as well, so this makes me feel like I'm doing all right in that department. I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know!!

Formby has definitely been an influence, as has Shel Silverstein, Darryl Rhoades, Benny Bell, Weird 'Al', and countless other one hit wonders that I heard on Dr. Demento as a twisted youth...

Last edited:
Jason, I too enjoyed your second song more, but I think it's partly because when you write for yourself, you wind up writing thins that suit your voice better. I enjoyed your video. Thanks for posting.

Top Bottom