My latest teardrop soprano is done!

Vespa Bob

Reaction score
The basic construction of this little instrument went rather quickly by my standards, due in part by the fact that it is my 6th rendition of this design and I have now accumulated jigs and forms to help with the building process.
It was ready for finishing in a month, but I had to wait for a couple of weeks until the Northern California weather decided to dry up to where I could get my spray gun out. The finish turned out OK, but I was getting very fine scratches which showed up when the uke was held at a certain angle. No matter how hard I rubbed with polishing compound, they wouldn't disappear! I happened to be in an auto parts store when I saw a bottle off Nu Finish scratch doctor, so I figured I'd give it a try. The result was absolutely amazing! I don't think it removed the scratches, but the shine it produced was so mirror like, that I couldn't see them anyway. I really like this stuff.
Here it is then, mahogany body and neck, with rosewood fingerboard and bridge. Saddle and nut are ebony, Gotah friction tuners.
By the way, this is build #22!

Bob

Attachments

• New teardrop 4 .jpg
    New teardrop 4 .jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 171
  • New teardrop.jpg
    New teardrop.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 117
  • New teardrop 3 .jpg
    New teardrop 3 .jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 111
  • New teardrop 6 .jpg
    New teardrop 6 .jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 87
  • New teardrop 7 .jpg
    New teardrop 7 .jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 89
Thanks to you all for your kind and encouraging words! It's good to hear from you again, turtledrum. Allen, I agree that it's a lovely design, but the credit for that goes to the Familla family!
Sequoia, yes, by all means,give the Nu Finish a try, I bought my bottle at O'Reilly's.
Bob

Very sweet little uke. Elegant!

Merci, Gerard, mon ami! I tried your method of danish oil finishing, but couldn't get it to work, no patience, I guess!:( So I had to sand it all off, before finishing with lacquer. Perhaps I will try danish oil again, because I love the look of your instruments.

Bob

Top Bottom