Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohana or Mainland or Pono or ?

Default Ohana or Mainland or Pono or ?

Ive been looking around with a hard case of UAS. I want a solid wood uke to upgrade from my laminate. My main priority is to get a uke with that sweet sound thatll put me one step up from where I am now. Ive considered banjoleles as i posted another thread a couple days ago on that. But I've startes thinkong mayve i should go for a solid wood concert before i go for the banjolele. That being said i am looking at the ohana ck 270g, mainland mango concert ( or either of the other woods, i cant decide) and the pono AC. I am really drawn towards the acacia wood because i think its just beautiful, but i dont know much about Ohana brand ukes, are they good? And are they as good as mainlands or other brands in that price range? And i have heard good and bad things about ponos. Mostly good with a couple bad experiences which leads me to believe that theyre a great company despite what ive heard. And mainland i hear nothing but solid reviews, so the main questions are how would you guys rate these 3 companies in terms of quality ukes? Which one would you go with and why? What are your thoughts and councils to a newbie to the ukulele community?
    PS both looks and sound are crucial for me, i dont want unplayable wall art, but i dont want to sacrifice looks for sound. Id like to keep them both. I dont care much for fancy inlays and what not, i just love aesthetics of natural woods with the sweet sound that comes from solid wood.
    Thanks guys!

They are all good ukulele brands. Having played and own several from each brand, I would say...

Ohana and Mainland are on a par with each other.

Pono are a level above - superb instruments and in my view possibly the best 'bang for buck' ukulele brand around.

you say you have heard 'good and bad' about Pono - what was the bad? I've never played a bad one and own several.
    4 Strings made of nylon, always put a smile on, anybody's face who's feeling blue....

The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Ukulele beginner? My beginners handbooks for Kindle!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Martin S1, Fluke, Flea, Kiwaya KTS-5, Pono MHD Pro Classic

I have heard trivial things like the action being a tad high or minor imperfections in the finish or the overall voice of the instrument being a little quiet. But theyre so few and far between, which is why i believe that they are still a great brand. I didnt want to sound like i was bashing them, because ive heard so many other great things about them that make me realize that it mustve been a fluke for those other trivial things to happen. Now re-reading my post i dont think i explained myself quite well on that matter. I apologize for the misunderstanding! But thats also why i wanted to open it up to everyone on UU to get some more direct feedback. Btw i love your uke reviews! So am I correct to assume that you would recommend that I go with the Pono?

Actually now that i think harder i cant be too sure that what i heard was about pono, but as i try to pull up where i read those things i cant find them, or any complaint about one in general. I honestly probably got a little confused as i was going through my research online.
    *Update* i did find 2 reviews on theukulelesite that werent too great. They can be found here. But like i said im sure these were just flukes. http://www.theukulelesite.com/review...t/list/id/244/
    Last edited by TheKlmslim; 05-18-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Pono get very good reviews on here, they're a bit pricier than Ohana & Mainland, but your choice of tone wood would dictate to me that you go & listen to all the videos you can of those particular instruments, then you can get a better idea of which one is best for you, we each like something different.
    Keith M --> likes a long neck - & being different.....

I've never seen an issue on a Pono finish myself. Action being high is something correctable and usually picked up by dealer before sale so I wouldn't worry about that.
    4 Strings made of nylon, always put a smile on, anybody's face who's feeling blue....

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Martin S1, Fluke, Flea, Kiwaya KTS-5, Pono MHD Pro Classic

I have a Pono MCD-E and it's my main "go to" uke for meetups, practice, etc. I have a kpk acacia concert cutaway that heavy, but sounds like it cost hundreds more...amazing! Several others here have had similar experiences with a kpk concert. I have heard and played all solid cedar topped Mainland and Ohana concerts and found them amazing for the money. One possibility on that banjo uke is to get a really, really cheap one...upgrade it a little so that you can't loose money if you decide to sell it. If you love it, get a good one....most people never really get "hooked" on them once they try them. I found a cool maple concert closed back model from China for under $100!!!!

I own a Pono UL4-40. The only thing I don't like about it is the neck is a little too fat for me. So much so, I'm considering selling it and buying a custom to get the neck I want. There are a few imperfections in the finish but nothing I worry about. For me, it's all about a thin, low action fast neck with good intonation up the fretboard; everything else is secondary. All in all, it's a great instrument. Not sure if I can get the neck shaved or not.

Patrick - you talking about the neck profile (as opposed to width)? PResume so- and if so, yes, I know a few people who have had necks shaved down by luthiers

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I own a Pono UL4-40. The only thing I don't like about it is the neck is a little too fat for me. So much so, I'm considering selling it and buying a custom to get the neck I want. There are a few imperfections in the finish but nothing I worry about. For me, it's all about a thin, low action fast neck with good intonation up the fretboard; everything else is secondary. All in all, it's a great instrument. Not sure if I can get the neck shaved or not.
    This is my only complaint about Pono. They have a thicker neck (profile, not width) and I like a thin neck like a KoAloha. I love the sound! They are wonderful, well made ukes that represent an excellent value for what you get. I had one and had to sell it (to my dismay) because I could only play it a short while without cramping my hand. I suppose if I pushed through that I might have gotten used to it and it wouldn't hurt anymore, but I had other ukes I wanted to try.
    Soprano: Late 20s Martin Style 0 | Gold Label Kamaka | Early 20s Lyon & Healy Washburn | Ohana SK-25 | Outdoor Ukulele - bottle green

Concert: 16" Ono | Talsma 3M | Howlett Koa Ditson | Blackbird Clara | Ono Pineapple | KoAloha KCM-00 | VW Flea

Baritone: Kala KA-ABP-CTG | Bonanza #38

Thread Information