Kiwaya KTS-5 Soprano

bazmaz

Reaction score
Cor... not a lot of love for Kiwaya - interesting. Quite possibly one of the best ukuleles I've ever played too..

(Sorry to bump, genuinely find that interesting)

Kiwaya makes a stunningly good instrument. Fit and finish is superb. Sound, balance, projection and intonation are amazing. I had a KTS4 a number of years ago and sold it. As I have mentioned before, it is one instrument that I regret selling. :wallbash:

I agree - Suppose what I don't understand is how threads on UU about mixed quality instruments can run to 10 or more pages, yet lesser known brands like Kiwaya who are making some of the very best instruments on the planet, don't prompt discussion as much.

Strange!

Perhaps some may be reluctant to drop the money. I also don't get why some would have a stable of medium quality instruments rather than one really nice one such as this. I do believe that the Kiwayas are a great bargain as they are amazing quality in all respects. You get what you pay for and then some. I have had some custom luthier made instruments that I did not think came close to these.

I've owned several Kiwaya (KTS-7, KTS-5 and KS-5) and they were all very well made, excellent playability and super tone. I get the sense here on UU people are most keen on the KTS-4 and the other models don't get as much interest.

I've owned several Kiwaya (KTS-7, KTS-5 and KS-5) and they were all very well made, excellent playability and super tone. I get the sense here on UU people are most keen on the KTS-4 and the other models don't get as much interest.

Interesting. I've played all three and definitely prefer my KTS-5 over the KTS-7 that I tried out some time ago... although I can see owning one of each someday :) I honestly didn't pay much attention to the KTS-4 when I encountered one, since it's just a 12-fretter and I need more, but I'm sure they're pretty stellar in that class.

I was hoping for more discussion, too, and didn't jump in simply because I feel like I'm constantly, boringly, bragging about my KTS-6. It's nice to hear someone else say the same thing, with the authority of so much experience. I've sent your review to a couple of friends, in the spirit of, "See? It's not just me." Which probably bored them too! I don't think you can do better, just different.

I was at a jam session one night and a friend let me play his Kiwaya. I started watching for a used one the next day. Eventually the KTS-6 came up on ebay and I feel so lucky. I hadn't owned a soprano till then, and it's still my only soprano, but now I love that scale. One nice thing is I don't feel like I have to own any other mahogany soprano, so I'm done looking at them!

I watched this thread, wondering why there seemed to be so much more interest in the latest Ohana than in a really great instrument, or why there was more interest in the S-1 review. It's a puzzlement. But I'm really glad you like your Kiwaya, Barry. Both of them. (I wasn't crazy about the KS-5, but it's possible I just don't like Koa. Also, the finish doesn't come close, but that's reflected in the price.)

I agree - Suppose what I don't understand is how threads on UU about mixed quality instruments can run to 10 or more pages, yet lesser known brands like Kiwaya who are making some of the very best instruments on the planet, don't prompt discussion as much.

Strange!

I've thought about this, and I think the answer is in your statement. They get a stable of medium quality instruments, and that's more appealing than just one really nice one. I'd rather have my Kiwaya than 20 Caramels, but that must seem ridiculous if you haven't played one. Possibly even if your have. So I get that. I don't agree, but I can see how it makes sense to someone else.

Perhaps some may be reluctant to drop the money. I also don't get why some would have a stable of medium quality instruments rather than one really nice one such as this. I do believe that the Kiwayas are a great bargain as they are amazing quality in all respects. You get what you pay for and then some. I have had some custom luthier made instruments that I did not think came close to these.

Strange!

It might have to do with the difficulty of obtaining them in the U.S. - they're pretty hard to come by here, and I wonder if the whole CITES thing is going to make it impossible since the fretboards are rosewood. Seems that folks in the UK/EU have a lot more Kiwaya dealers to choose from.

And yeah... cost.

I've thought about this, and I think the answer is in your statement. They get a stable of medium quality instruments, and that's more appealing than just one really nice one. I'd rather have my Kiwaya than 20 Caramels, but that must seem ridiculous if you haven't played one. Possibly even if your have. So I get that. I don't agree, but I can see how it makes sense to someone else.

I'm with you all the way on this! I'd rather have a couple of really nice instruments than many more medium or lesser quality ones.

I also don't get why some would have a stable of medium quality instruments rather than one really nice one such as this.

That concept has been confusing me for years!!

I once was at a festival with my Kanile'a Tenor and this chap was taking interest. He asked how much they are and I told him and he did a sharp intake of breath and said 'that's far too much'. Later in the day I learned that he owned about a dozen cheap instruments - sum total cost would have bought him two Kanile'a instruments..

It might have to do with the difficulty of obtaining them in the U.S. - they're pretty hard to come by here, and I wonder if the whole CITES thing is going to make it impossible since the fretboards are rosewood. Seems that folks in the UK/EU have a lot more Kiwaya dealers to choose from.

And yeah... cost.

That may be the case, but to be honest, they are not super easy to get in the UK either. They come in and out of stock regularly and I haven't seen a KTS-7 for quite some time.

Re the woods - I suspect that they will be changing the rosewood out, as Martin have done for a wood called Sipo / Utile. Would make no sense at all for them to stick with rosewood now.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that it takes less discipline to buy a average uke every pay day than it does to save for a good or great one. Also, some people may not feel that their playing merits a good instrument. Then there's brand recognition and availability. And lastly, a lot of players would rather have a laser etched Luna than a tastefully finished yet understated Kiwaya. Taste is subjective.

They come in and out of stock regularly and I haven't seen a KTS-7 for quite some time.

For all that you didn't get as much discussion from your review, this to me speaks volumes about how they are regarded - once they're available, they're rapidly sold. Usually a good sign that people like them!

Lack of discussion, I think, is due to the fact that they are hard to come by, so most people buy something else, that they can get their hands on.
(Again, with such a lack of ownership, they aren't going to get discussed much.)

Lack of discussion, I think, is due to the fact that they are hard to come by, so most people buy something else, that they can get their hands on.
(Again, with such a lack of ownership, they aren't going to get discussed much.)

Also, they have a lot of factors that limit discussion or their market share.

1. Kiwayas are understated in their looks - I think they look great, but they don't have the visual interest of a Moore Bettah or Mya Moe
2. Kiwayas aren't innovative - they are a copy of a Martin. For discussion in this type of uke - vintage Martins where there is variation and interest.
3. Some Kiwayas are niche - The high-end laminate market is pretty small, particularly when you can go one step more durable with the Blackbirds, etc.
4. Kiwayas are the type of uke that could be the last one you buy - once you find the one there is no reason to keep looking and conversing.
5. The Kiwaya advantages are tactile - great feel and sound. Visual is what plays on the internet.
6. Sizing is limited - the full range is only available in soprano, there is no entry level concert and no tenors at all.

And finally - their pricing is uninspiring. To me they feel like you're getting exactly what you pay for. I appreciate that, but don't feel the need to talk about it.

That concept has been confusing me for years!!

Its the thrill of the chase - I love talking about different ukes, buying one and trying it out, etc. But I can't afford to do that with good ukes. So when I got my Blackbird Clara and got a pickup installed I wound up in a situation where I had the only uke I'd ever need, and I was no longer inspired by the $200 ukes. I want to get a Kiwaya, a Godin Multiuke and a Opio (not sure on spruce top vs. all acacia), but if I did, I wouldn't expect them to outperform the Blackbird (expect the Godin - the Blackbird is sensitive to feedback when plugged in). And I can't afford to buy all, can't decide which, can't easily resell locally. So, I've cut way back on my looking and commenting online.

Also, they have a lot of factors that limit discussion or their market share.

1. Kiwayas are understated in their looks - I think they look great, but they don't have the visual interest of a Moore Bettah or Mya Moe
2. Kiwayas aren't innovative - they are a copy of a Martin. For discussion in this type of uke - vintage Martins where there is variation and interest.
3. Some Kiwayas are niche - The high-end laminate market is pretty small, particularly when you can go one step more durable with the Blackbirds, etc.
4. Kiwayas are the type of uke that could be the last one you buy - once you find the one there is no reason to keep looking and conversing.
5. The Kiwaya advantages are tactile - great feel and sound. Visual is what plays on the internet.
6. Sizing is limited - the full range is only available in soprano, there is no entry level concert and no tenors at all.

And finally - their pricing is uninspiring. To me they feel like you're getting exactly what you pay for. I appreciate that, but don't feel the need to talk about it.

These are exactly the points I have been running over in my mind too. Interesting.

My take (and just my take, not saying you are wrong on ANY of them)

1. No, they don't. But actually I adore their traditional look.
2. True, but I would argue that for the price they beat Martin. In fact, I think the KTS-5 beats the Martin 2k that costs more than twice as much on tone.
3. Absolutely true. This isn't a laminate of course, but they are famous for the KS5. I still think that as laminates go, they are world class. The Blackbirds will cost you 5 times the price of course. Oh but I DO love the Clara!
4. True!
5. Totally agree
6. Also very true.

These are exactly the points I have been running over in my mind too. Interesting.

My take (and just my take, not saying you are wrong on ANY of them)

1. No, they don't. But actually I adore their traditional look.
2. True, but I would argue that for the price they beat Martin. In fact, I think the KTS-5 beats the Martin 2k that costs more than twice as much on tone.
3. Absolutely true. This isn't a laminate of course, but they are famous for the KS5. I still think that as laminates go, they are world class. The Blackbirds will cost you 5 times the price of course. Oh but I DO love the Clara!
4. True!
5. Totally agree
6. Also very true.

I was going to say that Kiwayas are the Toyota Camrys of the uke world - nice cars, but not conversation starters - but the analogy doesn't hold up because there are a lot of Camrys on the road. Maybe they are more like Mazda - which is to say "why don't people buy more of these?"

Top Bottom