Season 275 - Put on Your Dancing Shoes

Terrible. Yet I remain hopeful when I see things like the photos of packed city street today, or the people reaching out to offer even a small gesture of help and comfort in the immediate aftermath.

Here's a ditty by a group from another U.K. industrial city. I always forget how hard even their most simple and straightforward seeming songs can be to sing. Must have been all that time spent in German basement clubs. Hopefully I didn't butcher it too much while being distracted by the Celtics game.

Where Teardrops Fall - Bob Dylan

I tried something a little different on this one. I recorded a backing track of bongos, claves and some shaker to play along to.

A sad little waltz I wrote tonight:

Come Back Richard Nixon

Your poor country misses you

Your moral and ethical code we need now

Of course OJ Simpson can and should be your Number two

We want strong and kind leadership

We need it and how!

Of course Charlie Manson should step in at Justice

We could do a lot Worse as we’re proving today

And with J Edgar Hoover at State folks would trust us

Tell him yes that cross dressing is really okay.

Each of you is much smarter than your entire party

And we trust that you know that ‘til now, we've been great

We welcome each of you comparative smarties

We just hope you can help us before it's too late.

Totally stuffed this a few times, and I believe I am going blind because I can't see trying it again. Here is the best of 97,532 takes. Four Simple Words- Frank Turner.

I've been working on this off and on for a few days, this is tough to pull off, for me at least. I had a better take in me, but I also had worse takes in me, so I kept this one. This is my 4th song for this Season, so I'm done for now.

Last edited:

Hello Geoff! Thanks for the Season! Here is an attempt at "Tap Your Troubles Away", which I dedicate to our favourite tap dancer, Lesley; otherwise known as "Song and Dance Daisy".

another great Irving Berlin classic from the dance era accompanied by my rythm group the iReal Pro players

A slow waltz about spring, roses and love - "Sag nicht adieu" (1934) by Raimond Valgre.

Brand New Tennessee Waltz by Jesse Winchester
This is a waltz, but would have sounded more like one if I had done the uke and voice separately, as I tend to get free with rhythm when singing. BEVOMU and Tommy (& maybe others?) have done this song previously, so you might want to check them out, as well as the original.
I miss Jesse.

Greetings,

Mary Jane's Last Dance - I used some of hubby's toys and mic. I don't have fancy software, so just me and the ol' uke with a bit of amp. It was fun to record, after the events of the week it cheered me up. The Seasons is an oasis in a world gone mad.

Ciao

I have played an untold number of square and contra dances over the years, usually as the bass player. This is one of the first tunes I learned to play for dances (circa 1978?) It is still one of my favorite tunes. To be honest I have only heard the chorus before this afternoon. I googled the lyrics and the verses popped up (along with a recording from the 1920s with someone singing them). So here is my one take on Golden Slippers- a traditional old timey dance tune.

This song will make Mel and I burst into song and dance around the house every time- I figured I would play it. Europop is tough to translate to solo ukulele, so I did it my way...and I can't hit the high notes so adjust expectations accordingly. Erasure- A Little Respect, all Cloverdaled up

This requires a little explanation. If you haven't seen Guardian's of the Galaxy II, I won't spoil it for you, but there is a scene where Fleetwood Mac's, The Chain starts playing. It is the perfect song for the scene and made me want to jump out of my seat in the theater. I haven't had a song/movie connection really effect me like that ever.

I came home and immediately started trying to learn it....and realized that I just really wanted a base note. I didn't want to change my tenor to a low G and I had been wanting to buy a baritone, so here is the introduction to my new Kala Cedar top baritone. It's so new, I haven't gotten it set up for sound yet, so I'm having to rig something with a microphone.

Anyway, here is my humble effort at a song that made my month (and made my buy a new ukulele....seriously honey, it's the song's fault).

No matter how good the music, there's always somebody sitting down, not moving, for whatever reason. This is for those people.

Written by Boo Hewerdine, one of the finest songwriters around.

Top Bottom