Season 275 - Put on Your Dancing Shoes

Well, it's only half past one on Sunday afternoon, and already this Season has taught me something - playing, singing, and moving around at the same time, is just not my thing.

We knew we had/ have no time at all to make a video this week, but we were lucky enough to be filmed at yesterday's gig in Munich.
We played with the fab Rockabilly Trio The Bricats, calling our band The Bricelites for this evening. Well, we only had few time to rehearse in the afternoon and playing a 45 min set in the evening. So the solos were a bit spontaneous, hihi. But it was great fun. Steffen could play his beloved sax.
Audio and visuals are are bit poor -a cell phone recording.
But we had the crowd dancing and that's what this season is about isn't it? :D

I never played or sang this one before either, but I wore the 45 out of this when I was a kid.

Super theme, Geoff, and one that really appeals to me as I love dancing! All sorts of dancing.... I can think of several songs I was out tap-dancing to with our wonderful group of tappers yesterday morning at our local shopping centre! Tapping for charity.... would love to get one in, but if I can it will have to be today.... I'm in the middle of packing for a trip, off to the sun tomorrow! So I promise I will try..... !

No, no, no (You don't love me)

I thought of doing a tune you could all pogo to. I might yet, but in the meantime here's a bit of rocksteady for you (plus another fine turtle-face!):

Original composed by one Ellas McDaniel - that's Mr Bo Diddley to you!

Could use some accompaniment here. I have indeed been several times to the Twist and Shout of which Ms. Carpenter sings and saw some fine music. It's not there anymore (or at least it's not at the same spot), but many good times were had. Get up and dance, y'all!

I've never been much of a dancer, but I always like watching Fred & Ginger, so here's I Won't Dance from the 1935 musical Roberta.

It's also the only song I can think of that has a reference to asbestos.

I think this is some kind of Latin dance beat. I don't know. If anyone can tell me, I would like to know.

Well, the good news is that I think I've got a song and my schedule doesn't look quite as busy this weekend. The bad news is that the fast strum really hurts my strumming arm. Any tips on how to relieve that?

robin, top tip for anyone trying to replicate a ramones style fast strum or pick is to keep the strumming/picking arm straight - hence the low slung guitar/bass look. dunno if that is in anyway relevant to your situation, low slung bass/guitar helps with pain in the forearm from mucho punko playing

it didn't occur to me to bring a homemade song this week until i saw the awesomeness of ukulele extra cheese's wonderful original

here is a much less awesome and wonderful thing

in which i grapple womanfully with my long term nemesis - any kind of waltz time - is this some kind of waltz time? i dunno it might be, it was meant to be!

"dance with me"

robin, top tip for anyone trying to replicate a ramones style fast strum or pick is to keep the strumming/picking arm straight - hence the low slung guitar/bass look. dunno if that is in anyway relevant to your situation, low slung bass/guitar helps with pain in the forearm from mucho punko playing

it didn't occur to me to bring a homemade song this week until i saw the awesomeness of ukulele extra cheese's wonderful original

here is a much less awesome and wonderful thing

in which i grapple womanfully with my long term nemesis - any kind of waltz time - is this some kind of waltz time? i dunno it might be, it was meant to be!

"dance with me"

Thanks. I've been playing it sitting down, but I'll play around with how I hold the uke to see what comes of it.

even if you don't normally stand to play, or use a strap, you can always tie a bit of string around the waist of the uke, and the headstock somewhere, and experiment playing standing with the uke somewhere about the knee (i may be exaggerating a teeny bit there, but not by much!) and see if helps any

Dance, Dance, Dance/Love Is a Rose - Neil Young

Neil wrote these two short songs to the same melody, I figured I'd see what would happen if I mashed 'em together. Dance, Dance, Dance I know from his Live at Massey Hall 1971 album. Crazy Horse also recorded that one without Neil on their debut album. Love Is a Rose was included on Young's 1977 compilation Decade, and was a hit for Linda Ronstadt.

Here's a Bob Wills tune. Gotta love dancing at those big balls! I added two melodicas (but the second guy was camera-shy)

Top Bottom