Season 275 - Put on Your Dancing Shoes

I have caught up with comments to here. The full range of dance tempos is there from upbeat to smoochy. Keep them coming. I think I've added all to the playlist but if I've missed yours, you can add your own. Please do. If you're not comfortable with adding your own, PM me and I'll add it for you.

Off out to play in a session now and folk club tonight so I'll be catching up with the next batch tomorrow.

When I was in college, a violin player who I knew remarked,
"You can't sing and play a violin at the same time." I said,
"So you've never seen Doug Kershaw?"

I heard this remark in a bar.
What is the difference between the Scottish pipes and the Irish pipes?
You can drink a pint of Guinness whilst playing the Irish pipes

These Irish think of everything.

I heard this remark in a bar.
What is the difference between the Scottish pipes and the Irish pipes?
You can drink a pint of Guinness whilst playing the Irish pipes

These Irish think of everything.

You'd have to drink it through a straw, though. :biglaugh:

Although this song doesn't come to mind as one that'll get you out of your chair and shuffling your feet, it will be forever be connected to dancing. Dancing ladies with emotionless faces, painted to the nines... You can't hear this song without at least thinking of doing that muted box step the girls do in the original video.

in this case ...."Take off your dancing shoes"

Let's Do The Ska!

I did try to do this one 'straight', but I couldn't get even half-way through a take before I'd find myself skanking instead of rocking; so in the end I thought: "The heck with it... Let's do the Ska!"

I chose the new Paramore song for a bunch of reasons: it makes me want to dance when I hear it; my busking regulars have requested it; and I identify with the way Hayley wrote about depression, since I'm going through a rough patch.

Some time ago UkeHeidi (France) did a contest about the too seldom played Cha-Cha.

So I participated by adapting the french song "Comme d'habitude", better known as Sinatra's "My Way".
I even won a special nose-flute price for "choreography" :nana: and I still dont know, why my wife is laughing into tears seeing this :p

I hope, you'll enjoy my non-entry

I Embrace a Challenge - ukulele original

Any song I write is surely a tune for dancing, right?

Well, this one is about dancing with a challenge, with a new way of relating to the world, and I reckon you could slow-dance to it. In the lyrics I even refer to it as a ballad, a word which means "dancing song".

I got inspired yesterday. I joined T. Harv Eker's 7-Day No-Complaining Challenge ... it's awesome ... and I decided I will write and record a song for each day of the challenge. Here's Day 1.

The day's declaration was "I embrace a challenge", and the day's focus was "No complaining, blaming or justifying all day today." Harv talks in the opening video about how "What you focus on expands", so if you're complaining, you're a "crap magnet". So I covered all that in the song.

In less than 20 minutes, the challenge's official Day 7 video will go live on Facebook. I joined yesterday, so I'm a few days behind. Harv's son Jesse Eker, who's running the challenge, did say it will stay up forever, and that anyone interested is encouraged to jump in any time. If you want to, it's free, and there's no opt-in required ... Facebook is also not required. Let me know if you do - I'd love the company! After only one day, I'm already finding it pretty life-changing.

I have no personal stake in it, other than as a very satisfied participant ... and now happy owner of a brand new song inspired by it!

Please spare a thought for those killed in Manchester last night. A particularly nasty act targeting youngsters. If you want to bring a suitable song to this season, please do.

Please spare a thought for those killed in Manchester last night. A particularly nasty act targeting youngsters. If you want to bring a suitable song to this season, please do.

With you there Geoff. Got the perfect song in mind, and I think I might just stay in Manchester for any extra videos I get done.

Well I think this fits everything this thread needs:

1) It's a song you'd normally dance to
2) The chorus expresses what I think is a useful sentiment in times like these.
3) The band is from.... Well Burnley. Close enough.

Edit: added to the playlist too Geoff

Last edited:
thank you goeff, that is a great idea, i was online last night and swung by the bbc news website and saw the breaking news - awful business, part of me was just completely shocked, part of me is constantly expecting such dreadful things these days

i'd like to bring something for this, in the meantime here's some marc bolan for ya

i'm not sure how really dance-y it is, my judgement is somewhat skewed because EVERYTHING he does makes me wanna dance!

"dance in the midnight"

Top Bottom