NUD Mya Moe baritone

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I bought this used Mya Moe baritone here on the Marketplace. It was only for sale a couple hours and I snatched it up quickly. It had all the elements I like, a radius fretboard, a bearclaw sitka spruce top, cocobolo back and side and curly maple bindings. This is a handsome instrument.

I have had it for about 6 weeks and I have been very pleased. Mya Moe make a nice light weight baritone that balances well and plays very easily. It is a very resonant and open sounding instrument with a warm sound that almost goes against the tone woods used. I have gone through a number of string changes looking for "my" tone. I think I am there.

It came with sealed geared tuners aka "rabbit ears", me no like. I ordered UPT and I installed them yesterday, hence the long time between purchase and NUD. I have pictures with both tuning pegs on so you can choice your favorite look.

20170520_175107.jpg20170520_174922.jpg20170520_175151.jpg20170520_174953.jpg20170520_174855.jpg

Last edited:
Dang, Dave
That's a beauty. I am Bari envious.
I am looking to see where my Baritone quest will take me next but I will never catch up with you

Cliff

Warm spruce from Mya Moe? Who'd a thunk it? :p
I do like the UPTs.

Dang, Dave
That's a beauty. I am Bari envious.
I am looking to see where my Baritone quest will take me next but I will never catch up with you

Cliff

Thanks Cliff, when one doesn't smoke, drink or gamble then UAS is the next best thing ;)

That's a very pronounced Bearlaw Spruce top, extremely nice! And my vote is you made the right choice going with the UPT's...

Enjoy!

Warm spruce from Mya Moe? Who'd a thunk it? :p
I do like the UPTs.

I like the tone but it did take 5 different pairs of florocarbons on the #1 & #2 position to get me enough brightness and the right tension.

I am glad I installed the UPT, my favorite tuners.

Gorgeous Dave. I love the spruce cocobolo combo.
The UPTs look fantastic. Were they hard to install? I really think they are becoming my "must" haves when UAS strikes again. Soundhole tuner? How do you like it?
Love, love the sound sample - it's the very song I am currently working on right now!
Congrats, so happy you are pleased with yet another stunning purchase.

Gorgeous Dave. I love the spruce cocobolo combo.
The UPTs look fantastic. Were they hard to install? I really think they are becoming my "must" haves when UAS strikes again. Soundhole tuner? How do you like it?
Love, love the sound sample - it's the very song I am currently working on right now!
Congrats, so happy you are pleased with yet another stunning purchase.

Thanks so much Casey. The UPTs were very easy to install. Don't tell Brenda she'll want me to do them for her :p

I really like the sound hole tuners.....on tenors or baritones. Especially when I am going manic with multiple string changes and am always retuning as the strings stretch. I have three of them and I like them on ukes I perform with because it is always there and doesn't look hideous.

Nice sound sample. You iearned fast
It looks much prettier now with new ears! Now this explains why you were so quiet and won't let me come over !
I don't have rabbit ears in my collection you are safe!

He is a funny one, is t he?

Makes these fun alterations and doesn't tell his close Uke friends.

Good choice. I like it.

Congratulations Dave, you certainly now how to pick'em (pun fully intended). Lovely playing on that sound sample. I, too, am astonished about the warm sound from a Mya Moe spruce top.

@Simon and Brenda.......you know me, the mad scientist gets stuck in his labratory and forgets to share with his friends :eek:. Simon, I actually told you I had ordered the UTP but with all the other UAS stuff going on you must have forgot.

Congratulations Dave, you certainly now how to pick'em (pun fully intended). Lovely playing on that sound sample. I, too, am astonished about the warm sound from a Mya Moe spruce top.

Thanks Rainer it comes close to my Kamaka in over all tone quality. The Kamaka is a little sweeter and more articulate but I am enjoying this Mya Moe.

Congratulations Dave, and nice work with the addition of the Gotoh UPTs, what a huge improvement in looks, well done. Did you use a tapered reamer to enlarge the tuner holes?

I appreciate the kind words Campbell. The tuner holes were actually a little bigger then required for the UPT. One wrap of electrical tape around the barrel of the tuner made for a perfect fit.

Congratulations, Dave, that sure is beautiful. And listen to that sustain! Wow!

You are totally right about the UPTs, too. Now I think everything I own needs them. What an improvement in the look.

Congratulations, Dave, that sure is beautiful. And listen to that sustain! Wow!

You are totally right about the UPTs, too. Now I think everything I own needs them. What an improvement in the look.

Thanks so much. Most of my ukes have rear facing tuners, ie UPT or slotted head stock. I do prefer that look and the UPT work flawlessly.

20170520_200254.jpg20170520_200218.jpg20170520_200203.jpg

Top Bottom