Info on Kala Solid Spruce/Rosewood Tenor Scallop Cutaway (KA-SRT-SC)

Reaction score
Anyone care to share their experience with the new Kala scallop cutaways? I think these look lovely, but I haven't been able to find reviews on them anywhere.

Thanks, for the link JJ. I have seen that video and I found two reviews on amazon one glowingly positive and the other claiming that the wood was paper thin and the construction was quite shoddy. I'm just looking from a bit more info from anyone who may have tried one out.

You're welcome. Meant to say "Corey" not Aaron who talked that ukulele up. Guess no one who reads this section has one of these to give you a personal review. It happens sometimes. Good luck.

Although I am a beginner, I have one and I really like it. I learned on a Kala KA-ASOV-S and bought the KA-SRT-SC. Two actually. The first tenor had been sitting in the shop and demoed for what I believe is a couple of months so it had settled in. These are solid spruce tops ,BTW. I exchanged this first tenor because it either developed a slight top warp or had it from when I purchased it, and I was not comfortable seeing that. The replacement was very new. Just shipped in from the factory. So, I had a chance to play one that was broken in and one that had not settled in yet. Very different sound. I could really hear and feel the tightness of the new uke. But, it is now settling in nicely. I've manually stretched the nylgut strings several times and all the little anomalies are gone. Only a few days with her and the sound is coming out. I have a pretty good ear and experienced with the violin and classical music. And I am liking what I hear. I have, however, ordered a set of Living Water strings and hoping the combination will smooth out the sound even more. I think a lot of players like the combination of Living Water and solid spruce. Now, so far, most of what I play, I use my thumb and not my nails. So keep that in mind. The gloss finish is super. Fairly thin on the top board and slightly thicker on the back and sides. The overall construction is really nice. It is well made. It is made in China. I am assuming there is a really tight Quality Assurance inspection going on so that is not a problem. I also assume their humidity control during manufacture is good. The cut-away/scoop is very cool. I have not used it yet. But, it has to be helpful.

Last edited:
I don't have one, nor do I plan on getting one, however, I do have normal cutaway ukes & play up the neck picking.

I tend to move my whole hand when reaching for those top frets, & think it would be inconvenient to have to twist it on a scallop.
Somewhat similar to not having a cutaway.

(Just my thoughts.)

Interesting story here. My opinion of Kala Ukuleles have changed drastically. This one in particular the KA-SRT-SC mentioned in this thread. I returned and exchanged mine because it had a warp in the top board. McCabes' was good about it. Exchanged it immediately upon the recommendation from Kala directly. It should not have been so warped. This new one is going back to McCabes also. I noticed a buzz. Stuck a borescope in and found a section of wood coming off. Kala folks were quite alarmed by the video - "return it to the store." McCabes won't do another exchange, they are going to refund me. Don't think they are going to sell me another instrument! I guess Kala's quality control is lacking. Now, their Elite series may be a different story. At least I hope so. Can't afford one of those however. Devastated.

The video is flipped in case you were wondering.

Top Bottom