Another slightly superfluos ukulele thread concerning US $150

Henning

Reaction score
Hello, now I´ve made a sound port, or side hole. It turned out positive for me so far.
Considering that costs for making this "extra" when ordering a new ukulele could be US $150 and the value of this ukulele is about that amount of money, how should I look upon this successful operation?
The costs of the hole is $150?
By making the side port the value of the ukulele doubled?

But would you ever make a side port on your 1940s vintage Martin 0 ukulele or similar?

The ukulele "sounds" better and is more "responsive" which makes it more fun to play after the operation. But do you think it would have any effect on the value?
Would you recommend this for a more valuable instrument too?

Last edited:
Making modifications on instruments is a personal thing with little potential of adding any cash value to the instrument. In fact, personal modifications often reduce the instrument's cash value.

Instruments such as one which qualifies as "vintage" have a market vslue based on being as close to original condition as possible. Any personal modifications can change the instrument from "vintage" to just another old thing that's been customized.

Many of my lower-priced instruments have some kind of personal modifications, mainly the addition of preamps and pickups. However, certain instruments are "untouchable" because any modification would not really add anything or their use or enjoyments. So, if one plans to modify an instrument, consider it like repainting a new car to a different color - one may like the new color, but that new paint job will not add to the car's resale value.

:agree:

You've essentially just knocked a hole in the side of your uke - that's more likely to reduce the value of it rather than increase it. Still, you never know - things are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. The addition of pickups can add value as you get the pickup as well as the instrument.

Top Bottom