Looking for feedback on custom Bruko/Brueko idea

13down

Reaction score
Looking for feedback on my idea for a custom Bruko.

I'm basically looking to build something that may or may not be possible: a "long neck tenor" or a "mini baritone." A tenor-like body with a longer scale than a tenor. And I think Brueko might be the maker who can do it, not just because they're affordable but because of their odd sizes and because I genuinely love the Brueko tenor that I own.

Of course they don't make anything like this already, but I suspect they might be able to do it by mixing and matching necks & bodies that they already have.

Here are some ideas that I have for mixing and matching & I am wondering if anybody who owns a Brueko or two can give any feedback.

1) Tenor neck, tenor body, but with the saddle several centimeters down the lower bout.

2) Tenor neck, jumbo concert body. From the pictures I've seen, it looks like the jumbo concert body might be longer than the tenor body, but since the pictures are all I have to go by, I can't tell!

3) Long-neck soprano neck, tenor body. From pictures I've seen, it looks like the long-neck soprano neck is about the same width as the tenor neck, but just has more frets?

Any and all feedback would be appreciated! Also would be interested to hear about other custom builders, but at this time I can't spend over $900.

Last edited:
There have been some long neck Tenors before, I remember reading about 18" & 19" scales.
If you are happy with having an oddball, try a baritone neck on a tenor body, but keep the bridge in the best place between the widest part of the lower bout.

Ono Ukuleles. David Ingalls.
He builds 18" tenor scale and he is good.
Link here: http://www.onoukes.com/

Ono makes a very nice 18" tenor. Both Kanile'a and Kamaka make a 19" tenor. All three of these mentioned would be well over your stated budget of $900.00.

Could also ask Covered Bridge. I don't know if they've done an 18" or 19" neck but they do tenor bodies and should come around your price point if they'll take the project. They happily agreed to put a tenor neck on concert pineapple body for me and I love it.

Thoughts on Brueko

Looking for feedback on my idea for a custom Bruko.

I'm basically looking to build something that may or may not be possible: a "long neck tenor" or a "mini baritone." A tenor-like body with a longer scale than a tenor. And I think Brueko might be the maker who can do it, not just because they're affordable but because of their odd sizes and because I genuinely love the Brueko tenor that I own.

Of course they don't make anything like this already, but I suspect they might be able to do it by mixing and matching necks & bodies that they already have.

Here are some ideas that I have for mixing and matching & I am wondering if anybody who owns a Brueko or two can give any feedback.

1) Tenor neck, tenor body, but with the saddle several centimeters down the lower bout.

2) Tenor neck, jumbo concert body. From the pictures I've seen, it looks like the jumbo concert body might be longer than the tenor body, but since the pictures are all I have to go by, I can't tell!

3) Long-neck soprano neck, tenor body. From pictures I've seen, it looks like the long-neck soprano neck is about the same width as the tenor neck, but just has more frets?

Any and all feedback would be appreciated! Also would be interested to hear about other custom builders, but at this time I can't spend over $900.

Hi 13down,
here my thougts regarding your idea:
I do own a bunch of Bruekos, as I live in Germany and their ukes are quite popular here. Plus, I don't live too far from their factory, and I did go there twice alreday.

Regarding your idea: I think it is important to know, that Brueko produces only a handful of different models: mostly sopranos, with bodies in three different depths: flat, 3/4 and full with full equaling 5,5cm (sorry, don't know how much that is in inch). all bodies can be built with either a flat back or a rounded one.
Then you have the soprano longnecks, which in th US would be a "super soprano", i.e. soprano body (again possible in three differents depths, flat our rounded back) with a concert scale.
Then you have the concert model, with a larger body, obviously, as the soprano longneck.
Then there are the tenors, which are basically concert bodies with tenor necks.
As an extra, they offer something called a "jumbo corpus", which resembles a tenor body from most other companies, at least in size. You can have the jumbo body with a tenor or a concert scale.

Then there are the baritones, as well, which again have a larger body.

What you have in mind, to my understanding, could either be a jumbo concert, which would give you more frets (15, as compared to the 12 of the regular tenor neck) or maybe, a jumbo body with a baritone neck. Although I am not sure if they offer that kind of model. But it is certainly worth sending them an email to find out. I am sure that will let you know what they think about that.

I would be interested in finding out about the outcome of your idea.
Oh, and in case you might order from Brueko, in the end, I am very sure that it will cost you MUCH less than the 900,-$ you mentioned.

The baritones that Brüko make are smaller and have (as far as I know) a slightly shorter scale, something a little over 18", so their regular baritone size may already fit the bill. I'm not 100% sure about this, but recall reading about it on a German ukulele forum. Hora in Romania also make shorter-scale baritones (18.25"-ish).

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I'm still interested to hear any more feedback, and I will send direct messages to those who seem most interested in discussing details!

The baritones that Brüko make are smaller and have (as far as I know) a slightly shorter scale, something a little over 18", so their regular baritone size may already fit the bill. I'm not 100% sure about this, but recall reading about it on a German ukulele forum. Hora in Romania also make shorter-scale baritones (18.25"-ish).
Not true, unless they've changed recently. My Bruko bari was right at 19". I do recall some threads about the shorter Hora bari.

Jim how would you bruko Bari with 19" scale play and sound with high g reentrant tuning. Would it play like a tenor?
I've interested in Bruko but tenors seem so small and I would want more frets. Their workmanship seem very good but plain. I'm wondering why their tenor is so small.

Emil Bader here on Oahu would likely build you a super tenor in your budget. I own two of his ukuleles and I am very happy with them.
His email is sandjcraft@yahoo.com
Tell him Damon says hi!

Jim how would you bruko Bari with 19" scale play and sound with high g reentrant tuning. Would it play like a tenor?
I've interested in Bruko but tenors seem so small and I would want more frets. Their workmanship seem very good but plain. I'm wondering why their tenor is so small.
Hmm, I never tried reentrant on it while I had it, but honestly I don't think it would be the best platform for high g. The neck is thicker than any tenor I've played. And the action was higher than I prefer. In other words, I would not have described it as a "fast neck". Don't get me wrong, I liked it and was good for a lot of things but "play like a tenor" was not one of them - in my opinion.

Kimo Hussey has been playing big tenors lately, right in the middle between tenor and baritone, and he tunes them F Bb D G. I have played the Kerry Char example and it is wonderful.

Last edited:

That is sort of why I'm trying to see if Bruko can build me this customized instrument. Not so much because I want more frets but a longer scale so that there can be more tension. The spacing of the frets on the Bruko tenor necks is great, but the neck is indeed short. The body is only slightly smaller than a typical tenor body - I think the main thing that makes it look so tiny is the neck + scale. I also do indeed want something that "plays like a tenor," not something that "plays like a baritone." If they can build anything of the sort I will let you know.

Emil Bader here on Oahu would likely build you a super tenor in your budget. I own two of his ukuleles and I am very happy with them.

Hi Damon, thanks for the reply! I tried to send you a message but your inbox is full! Here it is: Thanks so much for your reply!

I am still waiting to hear back from Bruko as well, but I will also contact Bader.

I don't want to overwhelm him with questions so I will ask you a bit first. Do you have any pictures of one of his bigger tenors? Does he have a few "long" scale lengths that you choose from, or can you specify any scale length?

I have a 19" scale Kanilea "super tenor" that I string low G; in addition to the longer neck, it has a wider lower bout, basically a baritone bottom with a tenor top.

I string it low G; can't see why reentrant G wouldn't work. For me the draw of the instrument is the boomier voicing than my standard tenors, so low G seemed like a natural fit. I suspect a bari body will also sound different than a typical tenor, no matter how it's strung.)

Here's a link, not to the one I bought from HMS, but same model: http://www.theukulelesite.com/kanilea-se-st-19-uvsilk-tenor-long-neck-s-3.html

Last edited:
Brueko told me that they can't do the "frankenstein" scale uke that I was asking for, so I'm now moving on! I contacted Emil Bader but am also looking into other possibilities.

I opened a new thread here just asking for general feedback on 18-inch scale tenors. I'd also like to thank whoever it was (maybe Jim Hanks?) who suggested Ono. Though they are more expensive than what I want to spend right now, I am very intrigued by them. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?127748-18-inch-tenor-scale

Top Bottom