The deed is done! First Uke purchase.

Mr. Mojo

Reaction score
Ok, so I went for it! In my first thread here http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?127475-A-couple-of-questions
I mentioned that I was looking at a Uke (a soprano) and was given suggestions and opinions. Since then I looked around some more and read thru the forums as well as videos etc. and found something I liked better.
I know some will disagree with my choice but I had to go with what I could afford at the moment. I'm sure I'll trade up at some point but for now I couldn't go above 60 or 70 bucks. Actually my original top line was $50. Just so I could begin to learn.

I liked the soprano I mentioned in the other thread but was attracted to the concert uke in both size and sound especially since I like a bluesier tone. So I felt a little cornered by price and what I could plunk down. That left less of an option option and I went for what was available. The deed is done. :cool: I'll change the strings when I get it. I think it ill be fine.
Thanks for the help.

Here it is:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kala/Ma...224974042-sku^1394721681071@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

That is the same ukulele that I started with. Good choice. I upgraded after a year, but I still play the Makala once in a while.

The concert is a nice size.... I started with one....... got a tenor........... liked it.. but also like the concert... Ive been playing a myrtlewood concert I have and am enjoying it like crazy... I have a couple of sopranos too and like them as well but I play the concert the most at this point...
You'll like it Mr. Mojo... Glad you found one... We definitely have to keep what we can afford in mind... sounds like you bumped it up a bit but hey... its hard not to...;)

Very good first choice, Kala makes a quality product. Now the real fun begins........the playing

I put a capo on a guitar today,read thru a few instructional pages, watched some videos as well as some of the Ukulele Underground instructional videos and learned some strumming and a few chords, (C,D and F). Pretty easy stuff. Well, other than the guitar frets being bigger effecting transitions. I didn't spend too much time as the guitar is a bit uncomfortable, but I gave it a shot. I'm looking forward to getting the Ukulele. At this point the few chords I looked at seemed easy enough. I put the guitar away and I'll just wait the few days expected for delivery. It's going directly to Guitar Center.

Eventually you may want to have the ukulele set up...my Makala CE was very high at the saddle. In general, don't have Guitar Center do the setup (there is likely a luthier in your area that has an affinity for ukuleles.

I prefer fluorocarbon strings on my ukuleles--100% preference, 0% science. I use the inexpensive Martin 600 strings on my sopranos and concerts.

I hope this ukulele scratches your "itch" and leads to years of enjoyment.

Congrats! I'm still kicking myself for not getting a Makala soprano I picked up out of curiosity at Sam Ash Music one day. It sounded great, and the action was just fine. Silly me.

Now there is no turning back.
Once you start playing it you will be hooked.

I started with the same model two years ago. Now I have 5 ukuleles.
Enjoy!

It may be the first, but I'll lay a wager that it won't be the last!

Good luck! That may be your only uke, get to know it well!

Thanks. Well, I plan to bring it home and have a quite dinner together, maybe a little wine, then retire to the couch. Before that I may spend awhile standing while trying to caress it. Maybe I'll start at the top of the neck with my left hand as I try to coordinate gently stroking with my right a little lower. Maybe just chords the first night not rushing things by attempting any finger picking. Hopefully all goes well.

:drool:

A concert is nice to start off with. Easy fret spacing and better tone than a Soprano, IMHO.

I prefer Tenors but found a concert helped me learn faster. Your Makala looks like it should be fun.

I'd play the strings on it for a few months then change them for a set of , fluorocarbons, Martin are cheapest but highly regarded. It will sound a little different and see if you like that. Then get a Fremont soloist low G string and put that on, saving the high string, you may prefer one or the other.

But play it every day, even if you can't do it well. It take some time to learn but it is fun.

The Uke arrived today. I picked it up from Guitar center around 2:30 this afternoon. Real nice. I was amazed how small the box was.:D The only problem is that I probably won't be able to do anything with it until Monday. Today's Friday so 2 more days....Yikes! I babysit my grand daughters on weekends (age 6 and 9) and trying to mess with the Uke just ain't working. I got the Ukulele at 2:30 and picked them up at 3:30. I was trying to tune it but with all the questions the tuner was picking up all the wrong sounds. :D

I guess have to wait. But it looks and feels real nice. The action felt fine also and looks good...not too high and not too low. It's all good. I did manage to struggle thru an "almost" tuning, but my grand daughter was too amazed and wanted play it and kept asking questions so I let it be. I expect it to be out of tune again by Monday. Then I'll have all day to play with it and by Tuesday I should be Posting a video of me playing Jimi Hendrix's "Little wing" ( I'll do the Clapton version). Lol....just kidding.

If I could offer some advice... If you get a kick of out seeing progress, try recording yourself playing. First, it really helps you see your mistakes and as you improve, it really shows from video to video. A member on here gave me this advice and it really helped. Seeing my improvement from my 1st day to 6 months was crazy and kept me pushing as hard as I could to be better. Just a thought. Enjoy your uke.

Relax and enjoy. Do whatever you feel for. It'll all come to you!

As I mentioned above I am babysitting all weekend. I do every weekend but this weekend my wife is working so I'm alone. But I had to take my 9 year old to dance and came home with the younger one to eat lunch. That gave me a little time...not much but a little. I ended up being able to re-tune it (as I mentioned yesterday I got a "somewhat" tuning done). So I ended up having about 20 or 30 minutes to tune it, grab a camera then play with it. That's right I said camera! :D It was exciting I have to admit. My first time ever playing a uke! Wow!
I posted the video link in the "Links and Video" section.

Top Bottom