Wound 3rd?

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I mistakenly ordered a bunch of wound strings for low G that were more suited for the third string. Was a time when it was common to see the third string wound - anyone using this set-up? I currently have in place a 0.022". I have ordered some 0.019" and 0.021" to test and experiment with the tension. Using .030" for the low G...

Your thoights in the virtual space below... :)

I think the Thomastik-Infeld CF27 is not unusual to use as a wound third string (.027"?).

I've experimented with a steel wound 3rd. It seems like a good idea and there are people who play with a wound 3rd tuned to low C and really like it. I didn't really care for the sound but I really like a low 4th wound G string and string with nothing else now. Too bad they wear out almost instantly. Oh well. Cheap enough as single strings from Strings.com.

I have strung my reentrant tenors with a wound third and really like the sound. I had a Collings and a Mya Moe strung that way and that was the best sounding set up to my ears.

With low G (my tuning of choice on tenors) I always have a wound G and a wound C, it sounds much more balanced. I use a diameter of approx. .027", depending on the manufacture for the 3rd.. D'Addario has them as NLY027 or their Lightly Polished Pro Arte J4504LP= .027"and as stated above the Thomastik CF27 . Naturally these would work well as just the wound 3rd in reentrant tuning

Last edited:
Both my recent (Fluke Firefly) and vintage (Stella) banjo ukes have wound third strings. Never really thought about it, other than that was how I received them.

Top Bottom