Thread: Frets on a dobro giutar

Default Frets on a dobro giutar

Does anyone know....why are there frets on a dobro guitar?
    And...
    Has anyone ever converted a dobro to a resonator guitar (played like a guitar, not a dobro, still using a slide on one finger)?
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Default Dobro / Resonator = The same thing

Hello Nicki :

These guitar have slight difference in the resonating aluminium cone inside , they both operate the same .

That said , you can play slide on either guitar . the difference is how you wish to play it .

Some play a Dobro slide only with the action set high and a big chunky thick neck that traditionally you play seated with it on your , with the action set high or you can get a regular shaped neck and lower the action to your liking so you can play it finger style or with a pick and use regular tuning as opposed to the many different open tunings .

Here's a Gretsch " Square Neck " Dobro played on the lap .
    It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

This finger style slide playing on a resonator :

Except for the name they are relatively the same and both can be set up for lap playing ( Square Necks do this mostly but not only them )

Finger style or lap , square neck or regular neck like this second Video .

EZ :

HR
    Last edited by Hurricane Ramon; 05-25-2017 at 10:46 PM.
    It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Does anyone know....why are there frets on a dobro guitar?
    The frets are there to be visual aids if you're playing lap style on a square neck Dobro. A round neck Dobro can be played lap style or regular guitar style and would therefore need frets.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Has anyone ever converted a dobro to a resonator guitar (played like a guitar, not a dobro, still using a slide on one finger)?
    Many folks play Dobros as a regular guitar or a slide guitar. My friend Ted has a National metal bodied guitar that he keeps in open D tuning and a round necked Dobro that he keeps in open G tuning. Ted doesn't play lap style, but is a great slide player.

My son Clay came to a jam and borrowed Teds National and used it to play lap style. Since he often plays slide, Ted keeps his resonator guitars with a relatively high action, so clay had no difficulty playing lap style.

The National guitars usually have a biscuit bridge and come in both square neck, for lap style and round neck for upright style. The Dobros usually have a spider bridge and also come in both style necks. The biscuit bridge gives a different (Many will say a bluesier) sound from a spider bridge (Many will say a country or bluegrass sound).

Thread Information