Ukes on ebay?

TheKlmslim

Reaction score
Im looking at a uke on ebay but im a little put off by the fact that its on ebay... its a pono, so the brand quality is high and the seller has good reviews, but in anyones opinion would it be worth it to pay the little bit more money to get it from HMS or ukerepublic or mims? Has anyone had any horror stories with ukes on ebay? Im also worried about the pono itself, i hear people LOVE pono but ive also heard that there are duds that just dont sound as good. Any feedback would be great!

No horror stories, but I will say that every uke I've bought on eBay has been re-homed soon thereafter. They've all been well-regarded brands, but as you said - some can just be duds. Every uke is different, even the same models from the same manufacturers.

No horror stories, but I will say that every uke I've bought on eBay has been re-homed soon thereafter. They've all been well-regarded brands, but as you said - some can just be duds. Every uke is different, even the same models from the same manufacturers.

Yeah thatd my main concern, im lookong for an upgrade and i just dont want to take a gamble on sound quality, especially when its going to cost a couple hundred if it turns out a dud. Anyone know where they sell good quality solid wood ukes in Utah or idaho area? All the local shops here in Rexburg idaho are pretty small and only carry a select few brands, no solid woods. The only "name brand" uke you find here is kala. Or amahi if anyones heard of them. Anyways if anyone knows a place let me know!

yeah go HMS or any place that gives a good setup. a good setup will make you enjoy your ukulele 100 times when not.
do not buy from ebay. there buyer protection really sucks incase you get a damaged ukulele.

Mike @UkeRepublic.com also carries Pono and I can personally attest to the great set-up and care in packing, delivery and communication provided after multiple purchases there. I too have had mixed experiences on eBay, but it was on eBay I found and purchased my '60s Martin Soprano which was a stellar find in like-new condition that was listed by the widow of the original owner who apparently bought it and rarely played it. So eBay can be a mixed bag.

With Pono on ebay, I'd check it's not a factory second. I've seen sellers advertise these before without making explicit mention of the fact. Not to say there's anything wrong with buying a second but, y'know, full disclosure always seems like a good policy to me.

I've bought a lot of things off of eBay over the years. My experience of eBay is that you take a chance and mostly its fine, there are protections in place and very occasionally I've used them.

It helps if you can work out why the vendor is selling. Occasionally some new goods are not completely perfect and the imperfection may or may not matter. 'Let the buyer beware' is sensensible advice for eBay and for mail order in general. I recently spent over £100 with a well regarded UK supplier who assured me that my Uke would arrive in perfect condition and all ready to play; it arrived well packed, working and without any visible defects and damage but the string height was awful and I had to spend a lot of time working on the nut - some dealers trade on a better than deserved reputation.

Last edited:
Don't distrust eBay as a matter of principle. (At least if you're in the U.S.) As with anything you buy there, the seller's reputation is important. For instance, Mim sells much of her inventory through eBay, and as far as I'm concerned, she's the best dealer stateside for the brands she offers.

If you're buying something used, I agree with Graham that it's a good idea to find out why the uke's available. An honest seller will tell you and should disclose if there are any potential concerns.

I buy from eBay with no concerns, and had to make a few returns without any problems. The fact that Mim sells on eBay says that you can get get great stuff from a great dealer. I also connected to a builder in Vietnam who sells ready mades and does custom, both of which I bought and I'm very happy with them.

Received damaged ukes from reputable U.S. sellers, and damaged ukes from ebay, Including Pono many years ago (I still have it and it's great). It had a little ding that was disclosed and I had an invisible repair done for very little. As a rule, decent ukes don't usually require setups unless you have a very specific requirement. Ordering directly from a Chinese seller however can be an interesting experience and I recently trashed one here. Still, my bargains on some great instruments have been from ebay and the total value of my wins far, far outweights my losses, which have been very little. Risk tolerance is a personal thing. Lots of highly reputable sellers mentioned in this thread.

eBay is just another marketplace. I've gotten some nice ukes on eBay, as well as FMM, and the UU Marketplace.
Take the usual buyer precautions mentioned by others here.

If you are concerned about getting a "dud" Pono that does not sound good to your ears then buy from HMS. If you don't like it you can send it back for a full refund, within a limited time frame of course. I am not sure if Mim or Uke Republic has that but they are both excellent retailers.

I've bought some real gems on eBay!! Have only had to send one back. I have also sent one back to a reputable dealer so you don't ALWAYS win that way either.

Agree with jollyboy about the seconds on eBay for Pono specifically. Yes, I have heard "horror stories" about Ponos on eBay. There has even been threads on UU about these Pono seconds and disappointed owners. Intonation issues, if I recall right. It was approximately three years ago, someone was selling a bunch of Pono seconds on eBay and not disclosing them as seconds. Perhaps someone here recalls the details (or was a victim. Simon?) I have bought many ukuleles off eBay, but I would only buy a Pono--which is an outstanding ukulele--from a retailer or someone I knew.

Note: Opahcat, I believe, is John Kitakis, owner of KoOlau/Pono and father of Andrew. He sometimes sells Pono seconds on eBay, which some have bought without issue. Cosmetic blems. That's different than the stories I'm thinking of above.

Note 2: I bought a Pono tenor "blemish" with slight glue underneath the finish (very slight) from Andrew Kitakis at HMS directly. I simple contacted him and asked and he said he'd keep an eye out for me. Took about two weeks, and he sold me the one I still own and love at a discount. It still had the factory warranty since I bought it from him, which is not true for eBay used or seconds.

Last edited:
I live in rural Vermont - access to music stores is very limited unless one is willing to drive a significant distance. That means mail order buying from a dealer should be from a dealer who has a renowned reputation for good set up. Or - do as I did this week - buy from someone whose sale includes history as to their source for the item in question.

On the other hand I have been able to buy some excellent instruments on eBay but I have always had to do my homework. The last ukulele bought there was a project and sold as such. I was able to rework the instrument to create a viable first instrument for a friend.

Bought my first uke off an eBay private seller who simply wasn't playing it and decided to sell. It's a Pono deluxe mahogany baritone, factory second. I can't tell there's anything wrong with it, and I've looked it over with a magnifying glass and a fine toothed comb. ;-) It looks almost new. Action and intonation are fine. Came with a nice case and bunch of accessories. Cheap price. I couldn't be happier with it.

bratsche

I have bought several ukes from ebay and they were all grrreat . 3 were bought from Mim so the set-up was perfectamente. Of the others, 2 were just fine "off the rack" from sellers taisamlu & bruceweiarts, respectively. the rest all needed set-up at my expense, which i fully expected when i bought them.

each listing on ebay will state the seller's policy re returns. ebay has ample protections in place. I never sweat my ebay purchases.

eBay is merely a platform (albeit a very established one). People find careers, spouses, long lost relatives & more on similarly well established platforms.
My 1st uke is from eBay (as is ~4 others... including Hawaiian K brands) & is greatly cherished. Have also made purchases from Mim's, Uke Republic, Elderly, & Reverb. I've taken some of those purchases directly to a well established shop near me that does reputable work, inspections (have purchased a uke from them too).
eBay tends to favor buyers in their policies... I have fewer concerns as a buyer but would be significantly more nervous as a seller.
Just like any purchase (including Reverb), it's important to be savvy, check feedback, ask for clarification, etc as needed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom