NUUD Kamaka White Label

Patrick Madsen

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Here's the Kamaka White Label soprano I picked up yesterday off of the local Craigslist.

It was pretty dirty and hard to tell if there were any cracks hidden by the dirt and grime. After cleaning it up, it looked like it was hardly played; no cracks, scratches or wear of any kind. I'm certain it had the original strings as the slots for the strings are perfect. The case is like new also. I imagine it probably sat in a closet for 40 plus years.

He said the (Luthier), I use the word loosely, changed out the tuners as the knobs were cracked from age. They look like he changed to the cheaper Gotohs.

I'd like to find some original tuners or close to them if anyone knows where I can find them. The ones on seem to hold pretty good. Maybe I'll just change the knobs to black.

After putting on a set of Martins the thing sounded like a cannon. I can't believe the power it has. I never really liked a soprano because they sounded so weak, but this little fella changed my mind. I can't seem to leave it alone.

I paid $170.00 for it Here's a few photos, so it really did happen.

Attachments

• IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0995.jpg
    IMG_0995.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0983.jpg
    IMG_0983.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 63
Such a find! Congrats. To me, most sopranos leave me wanting. Maybe this one wouldn't!

Thanks Nickie. I kind of felt the same way towards sopranos but this one sure changed my opinion. I wasn't a fan of Kamakas from the other ones I've tried. Perhaps the older ones have more
ummpf.

If anything, it's back with a ukulele player and I'll ensure it goes to one when the time comes to sell it.

Nice find. Congrats. You did a great job of cleaning it up. Did you take a picture you could share before clean up? Alway a dream of kind to find a gem like this. I'm curious of what you did to clean it up so nicely. I'm a tenor player but would never pass up a find like this. Good for you.

I forgot to take photo M3. I normally do. I used windex, Virtuoso cleaner and then Virtuoso polish. The uke was so dirty, it was hard to tell if the dark streaks were cracks or part of the grain. Cleaned up to pretty good.

I'm primarily a tenor, baritone too.

Congrats on this great Kamaka White label!!! The same happened to me as I found a very dirty Kamaka Gold label and with a good cleaning and a change of strings, now it feel and sounds like new. I adjusted the original friction tuners. Love the old Hawaiian sound !!!

Last edited:
Wow what a steal. I've never found anything good on craiglists. All they have around here are little pink sopranos and a few lower grade Kalas. Frustrating.

Great looking soprano Patrick. Congratulations and thanks for the pictures, you scored a great deal on a fabulous ukulele. Those Kamaka sopranos can be real canons and a big suprise considering their size.

I hear ya Dave. I can't put it down. Lead-in's with a hi-g takes one to a whole different register. I can feel it coming back to life playing out here in the sun.

I'll change back to original tuners when I can find them. In the meantime, it'll be enjoyed.

I'm on the list for a late June build with David Webber for a parlor guitar. Do you still have your Webber tenor?

Top Bottom