Martin 0X Bamboo Soprano - REVIEW

Barry,

I found your review to be spot-on! I've only had my Martin 0X Bamboo uke a short time, but it sounds and plays so great, it's the only uke I have playing since it got here.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat, it's that good!

Den

Martin is big, yes. But I don't understand how selling ukes or guitars more makes their product more expensive to produce. If administrative fees are higher because they sell more, wouldn't they use the increased money they get from greater sales to cover their greater expenses? In fact wouldn't economies of scale allow them to charge less, not more? There may be rare businesses where this doesn't apply, is guitar manufacturing one of them? What am I missing? I ask because I want to know.

Still disagree - Kiwaya as a business are a tiny fraction the size of Martin. Not even comparable.

With these old firms you are paying for the name/reputation.
So they charge more than necessary, because they can get people to pay it, it's that simple.
There are lots of equal quality ukes out there, I have no doubt, but some people just have to have a name brand.
I can make music on much cheaper ukes, so that's what I do. ;)

Great review. Very thorough. Prefer the Kiwaya (and Famous) ones much more though. I thought the OXK neck was heavy though.

I had read that, but this one isnt'. Perfectly balanced. Not quite as light as the S1 but still very light.

I had read that, but this one isnt'. Perfectly balanced. Not quite as light as the S1 but still very light.

I'll second that. I had owned an 0XK, and the 0X Bamboo HPL version is noticeably lighter and balances just fine with no out of sort heaviness towards the neck at all. And as already mentioned it has clearer/crisper tone versus what I recall the 0XK having.

This comparison video despite being in French, provides a sound contrast between the two. Maybe someone who speaks French can translate... Petey you reading this?

Barry,

I found your review to be spot-on! I've only had my Martin 0X Bamboo uke a short time, but it sounds and plays so great, it's the only uke I have playing since it got here.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat, it's that good!

Den

I am glad you like yours so much. I had a chance to play one at a music store a few weeks ago and I have to say the tone was great.......I was really impressed. I also liked the bamboo "print" a lot, I thought it different enough to stay in line with it's "uniqueness" :p

And if they made a jet black one, i'd buy it tomorrow!

Geez , I'd love a black one too. I've wanted a black soprano for a long time now , I really regret not getting a "Le Noir" when Pete Howlett still made them.
I have an OXK , great uke , I've even thought about painting it black .

Last edited:
From what I've seen and heard I think this is a very promising approach for uke construction.

But first I would ditch the fake wood appearance, and go with black, blond, or white.

Second, it's OK to keep the wood purfling construction inside, and the wood neck, since those are actually pretty stable and cost effective.

But third, ditch the wood fingerboard and bridge in favor of Richlite. This would make the instrument very resistant to humidity changes. Not quite carbon fiber durable, but getting close.

Bottom line, the Martin name allows them to charge a premium. That's capitalism, like it or not.

At the same time, I would think that it is not just about the name recognition, but the experience, knowledge and reliability that they bring as a company that is meaningful. I would be more likely to consider an instrument like this than one made by a company that is brand new and with no track record.

For those who already own or are just generally interested in either the Martin 0X Bamboo -or- OXK model, I have created an Owner's registry / Discussion group for both of these awesome HPL ukuleles in the UU group section:

Thanks for this ukuleleden!

Question for you Baz... You refer to the Clara a few times in your review, referencing/comparing the "green" non-wood nature of both of them as well as the pricing. How would you compare their sounds? Are they in the same league? I own a Clara I bought 2nd hand because I couldn't shell out that kind of cash for a non-wood uke. However, after owning one, I would pay the new price in a heartbeat if anything happened to mine. (Despite not really caring for the shape) I love it that much! I would love to have a durable soprano and would consider one of these, but haven't found a local store where I could try one.

Question for you Baz... You refer to the Clara a few times in your review, referencing/comparing the "green" non-wood nature of both of them as well as the pricing. How would you compare their sounds? Are they in the same league? I own a Clara I bought 2nd hand because I couldn't shell out that kind of cash for a non-wood uke. However, after owning one, I would pay the new price in a heartbeat if anything happened to mine. (Despite not really caring for the shape) I love it that much! I would love to have a durable soprano and would consider one of these, but haven't found a local store where I could try one.
I don't think they are in the same league - the Clara is one of the nicest sounding ukuleles I have EVER played. That said, that doesn't make the 0X a slouch - it still sounds VERY good!

I would like to know, if there is a difference in sound between the bamboo-pattern and the koa-pattern version of the Martin 0X

:anyone:

If it's the "print" only ...

I read mixed opinions on that - some say they do differ. What I don't understand is how - as they are both the same material - unless the 0XK has different bracing. It 'may' be different though as there are reports of the 0XK having a heavy neck which the Bamboo certainly doesn't have.

One of the things that I find really interesting about this review and this thread is that, as I understand the comments, it's possible to build a Uke from synthetic materials that sounds just as good as well made instruments made from all solid wood. If that understanding is correct then material is quite significantly less important than design and construction is to how a Uke actually sounds. Have I misunderstood something or just opened a 'can of worms' instead?

No I agree with you Graham - and I had already encountered that with the Blackbird Clara which sounds outstanding (http://www.gotaukulele.com/2016/10/blackbird-clara-concert-ukulele-review.html ).

Of course, sound / tone is entirely subjective, but there is no getting away from it - this ukulele sounds VERY good. The one thing it doesn't offer though is a tonal signature that you can change by using different tone woods. it kind of is what it is, and that won't change either.

I just received a Ken Timms 'style O' soprano and it obliterated my S1 for sound.

Tell me how a company that has made ukuleles for a hundred years can't beat a guy in his garage/shed for LESS! Yes the Timms was less than the S1 and OXK.

Baz, if I could let it out my sight for a week or two I would send it for a review. It's comparable to the vintage Martins, forget the modern if you can get a Timms.

I would like to know, if there is a difference in sound between the bamboo-pattern and the koa-pattern version of the Martin 0X

:anyone:

If it's the "print" only ...

While I haven't played a 0X Bamboo yet, I believe the only difference is the pattern printed on the HPL. Maybe the difference comes down to individual instruments. How about it? Anybody try a new 0XK alongside a Bamboo? Field trip to Navojoa!

Top Bottom