Martin 0X Bamboo Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Great review. It is probably a good choice as an instrument that sounds and plays great, but doesn't have the concerns or care issues of solid wood. It would be cool if rather than the fake bamboo look it looked hi tech or maybe artistic.

Yeah - I think that was a missed opportunity. They did a guitar made of HPL that had pictures of vintage Martin guitars on it - might have been nice to do a Centennial one celebrating their history with ukuleles. Or anything really - but making it look like wood, when it isn't just seems odd to me.

And if they made a jet black one, i'd buy it tomorrow!

Yes, that would be very cool

Great review! Although I haven't played one of these, I am the happy owner of a Bonanza laminate by Pete Mai. Therefore I am inclined to agree with your assessment of this HPL Martin. My Bonanza sounds great, which I attribute in part to the extremely thin top. It's the thinnest I've ever seen and it vibrates like crazy when strummed. I would imagine Martin's HPL top would behave in a similar way.

My Bonanza is printed with a graphic called Retro Mint. It's a mid-century boomerang graphic that I LOVE because it evokes the 1950's uke craze.

http://www.wilsonart.com/retro-mint-y0236

Beautiful tone on that Bamboo! Just wish it had a funky/crazy/beautiful pattern on it. Thanks for the review!

Great review! I love all your reviews for their very honest assessments, even though I like my Caramel! lol I've never owned, or even played a Martin, but I've been curious about these. I find Martin's to be a bit daunting to get into because there are so many models and such a long history of them, hard to know which way to go on them.

Like Belle I also own a laminate Bonanza, mine has a solid cherry top and butterscotch retro laminate back and sides. Not my loudest uke, but I love the sound of it, and love playing it. I'd like to see you review a Bonanza sometime, either one of their laminates, or one of their solid wood ones.

I hear great things about Bonanza - I've spoken to Pete Mai about getting one featured, but the problem is the shipping cost from US to UK and back again. For a small builder I totally get why that's a barrier - would cost hundreds to arrange

I already said this on your site, but will add a bit more here. My objection to the price is that Kiwaya can make a similar instrument in Japan, paying first-world wages, ship it halfway across the world, and end up charging the consumer a similar price to the Martin. Martin makes theirs in Mexico, pays low wages, trucks it north to a distribution center (essentially the same last-mile expenses as Kiwaya). As mentioned by Belle, Bonanza can make a similar uke in the United States and charge $200. Bruko can make a solid wood instrument, ship it to the United States and charge $200, too. So it seems that most of the savings for building a uke in a developing country is not passed on to the consumer, but pocketed by the manufacturer in a great shell game. I have exactly the same complaint about many of the big-name Asian imports. They should mark up their import lines using the same math as their domestic line. Either that or vastly increase the wages at their foreign factories.

But like I said in my reply to your blog post - it's only a valid comparison if you ignore that Martin has administration costs at US rates on everything they do - not matter where they are made. No getting away from that - aren't they the largest stringed instrument maker in the US? That costs.

Well, I'll guess that Kiwaya's administration costs are in the same ballpark, and their shipping costs are considerably higher. So I'm going to stand by that.

But like I said in my reply to your blog post - it's only a valid comparison if you ignore that Martin has administration costs at US rates on everything they do - not matter where they are made. No getting away from that - aren't they the largest stringed instrument maker in the US? That costs.

Barry, it's not the shipping costs. Probably 65-75 bucks.
It's what could happen with a positive review. We are small and at my age prefer to stay that way. A good review from you could swamp us. At our price point we currently build 5-6 a week.
But, it might be fun for the ego.��
High pressure laminate is great.

Are you assuming Martin pays low wages at the Mexico plant or do you know this for a fact?
The Kiwaya is more of a hand made skilled labor type uke and the Martin is more of a factory made uke.

Last edited:
Nice review. I wish Marin made a tenor. I am fine with the faux print of bamboo on these and love the colours and contrast. Price is high because Martin can get it but agree with most above comments. Bonanza are small they make same type of product. I would prefer faux wood and colours in bamboo to some wild prints but others like them. Solid colours would be cool tool. Graphite would be neat did I say I wish Martin made a tenor!��

I'm also ok with mixed materials. I like the idea of rosewood replacement and rich lite or baked maple or whatever would be fine.

Thanks for review. We need more builder pushing the established boundaries.

Well, I'll guess that Kiwaya's administration costs are in the same ballpark, and their shipping costs are considerably higher. So I'm going to stand by that.

Still disagree - Kiwaya as a business are a tiny fraction the size of Martin. Not even comparable.

Barry, it's not the shipping costs. Probably 65-75 bucks.
It's what could happen with a positive review. We are small and at my age prefer to stay that way. A good review from you could swamp us. At our price point we currently build 5-6 a week.
But, it might be fun for the ego.��
High pressure laminate is great.

Ah - fair enough Pete - I hear nothing but good things about yours, so yes, there is EVERY chance it would be a good review! lol..

Are you assuming Martin pays low wages at the Mexico plant or do you know this for a fact?
The Kiwaya is more of a hand made skilled labor type uke and the Martin is more of a factory made uke.

Very true Pete - think Martin always get a lot of bashing in this respect. I would add something else. On reflection - it actually ISN'T all that expensive, and I don't like choosing my own instruments based on the best deal I can get. I simply choose them based on tone and playability.

Nice review. I wish Marin made a tenor. I am fine with the faux print of bamboo on these and love the colours and contrast. Price is high because Martin can get it but agree with most above comments. Bonanza are small they make same type of product. I would prefer faux wood and colours in bamboo to some wild prints but others like them. Solid colours would be cool tool. Graphite would be neat did I say I wish Martin made a tenor!��

I'm also ok with mixed materials. I like the idea of rosewood replacement and rich lite or baked maple or whatever would be fine.

Thanks for review. We need more builder pushing the established boundaries.

I'm not totally down on the bamboo print - think it actually looks nice. Just not a fan of things pretending to be something they are not is all.

Great review. Very thorough. Prefer the Kiwaya (and Famous) ones much more though. I thought the OXK neck was heavy though.

Top Bottom