First attempt at playing

Mr. Mojo

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So after receiving my first Uke yesterday I somehow found a few minutes to finally try strumming it. My wife is working and I'm alone watching my grand kids all weekend. I thought I wouldn't have a chance at this until Monday but was able to squeeze a few minutes in after I took one grand daughter to dance.

I was only able to get about 20 or 30 minutes though cause I had to leave again. I went online to a quick lesson link and found a few common chords and gave it a whirl. I've never played before so bare with me. I had been looking at some lesson info online all week as far as how to strum etc. in anticipation of getting the Ukulele.

That G chord was the tough one. Well, not so tough but tough to Switch to from another chord. Small frets. Anyway here is a few seconds of my first try. I guess I may do this another 10,000 times and then move on and then repeat:

Last edited:
Well done sir!

Did that come from zero experience with a stringed instrument?

Did that come from zero experience with a stringed instrument?

No :) Around 15 years ago I messed around with guitar for a short time. Maybe a year or two? I learned a few chords, nothing too intricate, and then began starting to workout scales and single note playing wanting to play more of a lead guitar than rhythm. I was a huge Stevie Ray Vaughan fan. That got too complicated and I stopped and went back to playing blues harmonica and singing and then eventually focusing only on vocals. But I haven't touched a guitar in about 13 or 14 years and now realize I forgot any of the few chords I knew.

I suspected there was some kind of experience in the past! :) Your strumming didn't sound like someone who was totally new to stringed instruments. You're already well on your way! I too was a guitar player in the past and eventually abandoned it. I'm having so much more fun on the ukulele and I'm sticking with it!

I'm on my way! Where to, I have no idea yet :D But your right, it is fun....I enjoyed my little test run. Unfortunately it's a bad timing thing as far as it being the weekend and me being busy. And it's a holiday besides, so Tomorrow on Memorial Day I won't be home either. Looks like Tuesday's my day! Thanks for taking a peek. I can't figure out how to embed the video though.

Top Bottom