Season of the Ukulele 276: What Have They Done To My Song?

Wow, I was looking for songs to fit the theme, and not only does this fit the theme, it seems remarkably a propos for the world we live in today.
I really enjoyed learning this one, and hope to make it something I play regularly.

Originally written and performed by Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello made it famous.

All Along the Watchtower - Bob Dylan/Jimi Hendrix

Bob Dylan wrote this song and it was included on his 1967 folk/country rock album John Wesley Harding. Of course, Jimi Hendrix turned this into a rock classic just six months later on his 1968's Electric Ladyland.

You Bring The Summer

Hey Rick! Here's a little quid pro quo for you. I submit for your week "You Bring The Summer" which I believe that you did for my Monkees week. This was written by Andy Partridge of XTC, but was recorded by The Monkees on their 2016 album 'Good Times'. I had a lot of fun recording this one in many, many, many layers. I highly suggest headphones for this one as the subtle nuances don't seem to come through on my computer speakers. Thanks for a great week.

This song was an R&B hit for The El Dorados in 1955, and was covered in 1972 by Harry Nilsson on "Son Of Schmillson."

In 1953 Gordon Jenkins did the Crescent City Blues, taken by Johnny Cash, to become much more popular as Folsom City Blues

I have a feeling I've missed the boat on this somewhat, but here's my first attempt at a Seasons of the Ukulele entry. It's a song that was popularised by Bananarama (in the UK, at least) but originally by Dutch band Shocking Blue. I didn't know how it ended so it just sort of...fizzles out. Sorry about that.

Bonus fun fact - Shocking Blue also wrote a little tune called 'Love Buzz', which Nirvana went on to cover as their very first single. Who knew there was a musical link between Bananarama and Nirvana?

It's been a while since I've made the time to post in the Seasons, but I couldn't pass up this week.

This song was a hit for Herman's Hermits in 1967. I first knew it as a hit song by the Carpenters, in heavy rotation on the easy listening stations that my folks listened to in the 1970s.

Another one in under the wire: "Always on My Mind"

This was first recorded by Gwen McCrae and Brenda Lee in 1972, but reached a wider audience with Elvis Presley's rendition later that same year. Ten years later, this became Willie Nelson's signature song.

When I was in college, the Pet Shop Boys cover was a particular favorite at dance parties.

Season of the Ukulele 276 has officially ended! What a fantastic week. Thank you, everyone for participating, posting, listening, commenting. I will post comments on the final entries and do a wrap up video soon. The folks at Pinecone should be delighted.

Thanks again and see you soon!

THANK YOU for a great season! i learned a lot, i had no idea that the three non-homemade songs i brought this week, were covers! the seasons are SO super-educational! :rock:

Yes MAHALO for a great season! I learned A LOT too. I always felt "in the know" when I knew or discovered that some current hit was a cover, but this season I learned some that I really had no idea were not originals.

Also, may I just say GREAT MUSIC from you folks? I don't always have time to listen to all the stuff, but I am making it a point to listen to all of them during my commute - I have a few more to go on my way home today but WOW some great stuff in there.

I am trying to make more time in my life for the Seasons. I really enjoy it.

Cheers!

Greetings

It was fantastic. I am late to viewing vids but hitting them today. New system upgrade to iPad. Wish they would stop doing that. It makes me NUTS. All my icons and shortcuts are moved. Ugh.

Ciao

Here's the wrap!

Hey gang! You'll have to watch to get all the news and take note of my obvious omissions, mentioned below —

Thanks again! Even with my notes, I left out a few special notices of performances that grabbed me more than the others.

•*UkuleleDaddy (Sean) for Land of 1,000 Dances
•*Berni for Never Saw Moons
• kolibri uker (Ylle)'s Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime

But every single one is amazing!

Thank you for your patience, passion, good humor, and playing!

The Pinecone newsletter is not posted online, so I'll shoot a PDF of the page with our story and post to the site when it's done.

Bless you all!
:shaka: :bowdown:

Top Bottom