Season of the Ukulele 276: What Have They Done To My Song?

My entry this week is slightly tangential to the theme. It is a song in tribute to a young songwriter who committed suicide in 1974 due to depression brought on by his lack of success in the musical world, despite his obvious talent. Years later, he would be rediscovered by a whole new audience and his work made available in its entirety.

This led to him becoming a major influence on many young songwriters and to people covering his songs on their albums. All of which makes his sad fate particularly moving.

I am playing a Tenor Guitar on this track. I had planned to add a bit of Uke Bass to justify it being an entry here on UU - but I hope I can be forgiven for not finding the time to do that. I have a busy weekend of gigs and family activities coming up, so I know if I don't submit this now, I never will.

Fans of this young man will surely recognise some of my lyrical borrowings from his work.

Lyrics in the YouTube description and in subtitles on the video.

I don't suppose that anyone of us has ever experienced famine.
Here is Finland we have had no summer at all and I just saw a video
from the UK where the well respected orchard owner Stephen Hayes stated that this
years apple harvest has been wiped out. If it is not the cold setting things
back it is a deluge of rain. Strange things are happening with the weather
and being a gardener in touch with other gardeners many are complaining
about the adverse weather conditions, and when the Trumpster withdrew from the
Paris climate agreement I wrote this original song... and it might squeeze
in under the theme "What have they done"

THE GLORY OF LOVE recorded in 1936 by Benny Goodman.awesome version by Big Bill Broonzy and not forgetting the delectable Bette Midler.Notice how all their names begin with a B.Mine does'nt but heres my version anyway

I read that UB40 had no idea that this song was by Neil Diamond until after they released their own verion. (Tony Tribe released a great ska/reggae version in the 60s---the source for UB40's great reggae version.)

Here is a song.

Written and first recorded by Neil Sedaka, but it was Captain & Tenille who made it famous.

Here's number 3 for me. I haven't got a big story behind it, it's a Son House song that the White Stripes paid homage to on their second album and is still a staple of Jack White's live set, I'm stumbling through it here in Open G.

Both songs that I have considered, but in my mind, the originals are both better known than the covers (I could be wrong). I've got a cold, so I'm not sure if I'll make it with a second song this week, but one of the songs I was considering was My Island Home (The Warumpi Band/Christine Anu). It would be great to see an Aussie do that one.

Ok, OK, I got the hint. I hope I don't spoil your memory of the song tho...

From Wikipedia

"My Island Home" is popularly believed to be a song about Australia. However, it was written by Neil Murray and originally performed by the Warumpi Band in reference to their lead singer's (George Burarrwanga) home up at Elcho Island off the coast of Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory as said by Neil Murray's Site. It was recorded in 1986 and released as a single from their second album, Go Bush in 1987 by Parole Records. It was later covered by Christine Anu in 1995 who had been a backing vocalist in Neil Murray and The Rainmakers during 1992–1993. "My Island Home" won 'Song of the Year' at the 1995 Australasian Performing Rights Association (APRA) Awards for Anu's reworked version of the song. It was also listed in APRA Top 30 Australian songs of all time in 2001"

I am just back from a week away with no uke, but when I saw the Season theme, this song was the next thing that came on the radio, so it had to be done. Written by Tom Rush, and recorded on an album by him in 1968, it was covered by various artists over the next few years, but it was The Walker Brothers in 1975/76 who had the big hit with it here in the UK.

Any bets on when I'll get the darn season number correct?
Here's a tune by two of my favorite bands. 2,000 Man was written by Jagger/Richards and released on The Rolling Stone's sixth studio album, Their Satanic Majesties Request, which was, by a band considered at the time to be able to do no wrong, a flop.
Fast forward to 1979. KISS covered the song for their Dynasty album, with lead vocals by Ace Frehley. Their cover of 2,000 Man wasn't released as a single, but the album charted pretty high. They also played the song in concert and was featured on their reunion album, MTV Unplugged.
It was a bit challenging to play but I was happy to get this in for this season.

Are we still at a 5 song limit? I have one more I'd like to try, if I may.

Go for it! I'll be lenient since I've been preoccupied with work stuff and haven't been diligent in viewing/responding.

So we've already a couple examples of David Bowie making other people's songs his own, I figure we ought to go the other way round too.

This was written in 1972 (the same year Ziggy Stardust came out, containing It Ain't Easy, which I played at the start of the week). Bowie met with the bassist from Mott the Hoople and offered them Suffragette City as a potential hit to keep the band together. They turned it down so Bowie recorded it, put it on Ziggy, and wrote this.

Mott the Hoople released it first but I think it counts because the first time I ever heard it, I pegged it instantly as a Bowie song but couldn't believe it wasn't Bowie playing it. You listen to the version Bowie himself released a few years later and it's nowhere near as good. Mott the Hoople managed to sound more like David Bowie than David Bowie. Which might be what Bowie was going for in his version.

Anyway, hope it counts Rick. It's one of my favourite ever songs and it's got a very nice chord progression going on for the uke. That turnaround in the chorus is extremely satisfying to play too.

Thanks for letting me post one more. My daughter graduated high school yesterday. The ceremony was last night, and we had more festivities today, also I sang at the nursing home today. I'm feeling worn out. I played this better when I practiced it this morning, but I guess I'm just really tired and my voice is kind of shot. Maybe that worked in my favor.

A very late entry from me - it's already Sunday Irish time - done on my phone and yes I fumble over the words here and there, but sure, it'll do!

It's Joss Stone's version of The White Stripes 'Fell in Love with a Girl' which she does in a more jazzy, bluesy singing style - if you're interested in hearing the original here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTH71AAxXmM and here's the Joss Stone version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DwcPqjCW3Y

And here's mine!

Whew...I'm a little late, but still made it here with a song in time. :) This week, I did "Breakaway," written by Avril Lavigne and made famous by Kelly Clarkson in 2004.

Avril Lavigne wrote the lyrics to this song, which she worked on with professional songwriters Matthew Gerrard and B. Beneate. It was intended for Lavigne's second album, Under My Skin, but she didn't think it fit the album and let Clarkson record it as a single. The song did so well that at the last minute, Clarkson's second album was renamed Breakaway and this song was included on it. >>
The song is about breaking away from an old life and trying new things. Some may even consider it a song about growing up, and that could be true in some ways, but it is mostly about shedding your past and becoming a new person. The theme appealed to Clarkson, who could relate to the lyrics.
This song was used in the movie The Princess Diaries 2.
Gerrard explained to Songwriter Universe Magazine: "The song was originally written for Avril (Lavigne), it was inspired by her. As it turned out, it wasn't quite right for Avril's album, so we pitched it to Kelly Clarkson. It all worked out great. Kelly sounds great singing it, and it was a big hit for us."
Clarkson calls this "The song for everyone going out on their own." She relates it to when she moved from a small town in Texas to Los Angeles, where against the odds she became a star.
( http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=5628 )

Thanks for listening!

30-ish hours to go!

Hey folks!

This week has blown me away. We are approaching the magic century mark for entries! To give a little more love to the folks at Pinecone, I am allowing anyone who's hit my arbitrary posting limit one more entry.

Let's help the traditional music scene here in central N.C.!

Also, there are a few obvious (to me) songs missing.

PM for suggestions. And thank you for your love and passion for the music!

Top Bottom