Season of the Ukulele 276: What Have They Done To My Song?

I didn't mean for this to come out sounding like a selection from The Enigma Variations comps, but here we are.

China Girl

I did one really good take of this, but forgot to press 'record' :wallbash:

An Iggy Pop number made famous by David Bowie (with a lot of help from Nile Rodgers)...

I struggled to find something suitable for this challenge but eventually plumped for a cover of Yeh Yeh, Georgie Fame's hit from 1964. It had been originally recorded the year before as an instrumental by Mongo Santamaria. The line about playing records in groovy hi-fi makes me smile, how technology has moved on.

So Melissa asked me what the season was and I was telling her that you were donating on each video to the Piedmont musical society...and then BAM. The coffee kicked in and I realized exactly where and what we are talking about here. We are going to need to talk about this song limit thing because it just occurred to me that every song that Joe Thompson taught the Carolina Chocolate Drops not only fits, but happened right in your neck of the woods!!!! Ugh- now which one? Maybe that one about the dog? ;)

So Melissa asked me what the season was and I was telling her that you were donating on each video to the Piedmont musical society...and then BAM. The coffee kicked in and I realized exactly where and what we are talking about here. We are going to need to talk about this song limit thing because it just occurred to me that every song that Joe Thompson taught the Carolina Chocolate Drops not only fits, but happened right in your neck of the woods!!!! Ugh- now which one? Maybe that one about the dog? ;)

Hey, permission granted! Anything for the music ...

Hi Rick! Thanks for this week's Season; not an easy one ... required an awful lot of Googling! Hope this song, originally by Lori Lieberman, fits the bill.

Hi Lil! I'm getting the sad YouTube "This video is not available" screen! Could you give it another try? Thanks! :)

Hey, permission granted! Anything for the music ...
Hahahaha! Such great music there- I may play them all and just make a donation myself. The world without the Chocolate Drops is one I don't wanna think about- did you get to see all that happening? I would die I think. The best record I have found in the last 20 years was their first.

I got my mind set on you.

A 1988 US #1 for George Harrison (the last #1 from any Beatle), #2 in the UK, but written by Rudy Clark in 1962 and originally recorded that same year by James Ray as a B-side (to 'Always') with the Hutch Davie Orchestra & Chorus, but which didn't trouble the charts...

I asked earlier if anyone had heard from Tommy C recently. After I sent him a PM (about sea shanties!) a few days ago with no reply, I looked to see if he's been active anywhere on the forum. His last post was 11 days ago, and there's nothing from him (AFAIK) on FB or other social media either. I dropped a line to Wendy Keilin, as she's not too far away, but if anyone else knows how to get in touch, it would be good if they could check in on him to see if he's OK.

While we were still spraying DDT all over everything, and spilling leaded gasoline as well, Rachel Carson published Silent Spring, in '62, the year Malvina Reynolds wrote What Have They Done to the Rain, ... and I graduated high school... And got a used Martin guitar to go with my Harmony uke, and the world looked beautiful. You know, except for the poisons, the nuclear fallout from atmospheric tests, Soviet missiles in Cuba, violence in the civil rights struggle, etc.
Malvina wrote about some of our problems, like many folk-singers of the time, and her songs were picked up by others and became well-known, even if she wasn't.

enuf.
the song.

I should clarify that the official title is "What Have They Done to the Rain", whereas I labeled the video "Just a Little Rain" ( an alt. title), and it was originally known as "The Rain Song", I understand.

Last edited:
This song was written by Ewan MacColl for Peggy Seeger for a play she was in. One version of the story goes that Ewan sang it to her over a transatlantic phone link though Peggy herself claims it was on a tape he had sent her. MacColl and Seeger were having an affair at the time as Ewan MacColl was still married to his second wife but they later married.

The song achieved some popularity among folk singers of the folk revival of the 50s and 60s on both sides of the Atlantic but it got a huge popularity boost when Roberta Flack recorded it in 1972. It has subsequently been recorded by a large number of popular singers.

Ewan MacColl himself hated Roberta Flack's version and the subsequent "Pop" versions of the song and apparently had a section in his record collection called "The Chamber of Horrors" devoted to versions of the song. He felt the pop singers versions were "travesties: bludgeoning, histrionic, and lacking in grace."

Whatever it's a gorgeous song which I probably haven't really done justice to but here's my version for this season.

And here's a second.

A song called "I'll Twine 'Mid the Ringlets" was published in about 1860, written by Maud Irving and Joseph P Webster. I don't know how popular it was at the time but I imagine the sheet music (no recordings then :eek:ld: ) would have continued to gather dust on library shelves if it hadn't been picked up by the Carter Family. A P Carter rewrote it somewhat and the Carter Family recorded it as "Wildwood Flower". Some time ago I found a PDF of the sheet music of the original song and that's what I've sung here. I've rearranged the order of the verses somewhat but I've left the words alone.

Here's my entry for the week. Peter Green's version with Fleetwood Mac blew me away when I heard it (about five years after I heard Santana's more-famous one). Both are fantastic.

Fleetwood Mac and Santana were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame the same year, and while Green didn't play with the Rumours lineup (duh), the original Santana lineup did perform and invited PG to play with Santana on his song. Cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ntFjLY5rTc

I don't quite have the licks, folks, but here you go. And thanks for the fun ... and we're just getting started!!

I asked earlier if anyone had heard from Tommy C recently. After I sent him a PM (about sea shanties!) a few days ago with no reply, I looked to see if he's been active anywhere on the forum. His last post was 11 days ago, and there's nothing from him (AFAIK) on FB or other social media either. I dropped a line to Wendy Keilin, as she's not too far away, but if anyone else knows how to get in touch, it would be good if they could check in on him to see if he's OK.

I haven't been here in a while but did notice I was not getting mail from Tommy. I'll look into it! Hope all is well!

I looked on his Facebook feed. He responded to a post there a week ago (May 22). And there's photos posted yesterday by someone at a music festival that say "with Thomas Coughlin", though I don't see him in the photos.

Well, this is three for me (gotta work up some Joe Thompson tunes) but I was thinking today about the ocean and birds and my wife and my dogs and the internet as it were...and things I love. This is a thing I love, and I had no idea who really wrote until I was an adult. Like I say in the intro, there is a hilarious interview with Townes Van Zandt about being pulled over and let off when he convinced the troopers that he had written the song they had chosen for their monikers. I have never been a huge Willy Nelson fan even though he can write a song...never been a huge TVZ fan either (from one terrible singer to another...stop it Townes, just stop it), but this tune is one I have loved for years. I reckon before the internet, most folks thought it was a Willy Nelson song, but we are all plugged in now and knowing stuff.
In the last chorus I say a few grey instead of a few grey haired...I also make a very weird noise...Melissa decided that hair color is implied and it is OK, even with the weird noise.
In any event- thanks for the season Rick, lots of great music happening here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom