Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: campanella

Default campanella

Can someone give me an authoritative or at least orthodox definition of what the campanella style entails? By context, I can adduce that it is some fingerstyle technique, but what are the details?

No doubt others will chime in (pun intended!)

Basically the concept involves taking advantage of the re-entrant tuning of the ukulele, enabling one to use alternate strings for successive melody notes thereby allowing each individual note to "ring out" for as long as possible.

This also implies that each individually fretted note should be kept fretted for as long as possible, only moving the finger to it's new position at the last possible moment.

The system is probably most easily implemented on the shorter scale instruments, where a wider range of notes is available within one hand-span.

There are probably some other fine details for others to fill in.

Hope this helps in the meantime

There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Here are a few samples ... German only, but the videos are your friends

http://www.ukulele-arts.com/lernen/s...nella-technik/

There are some good threads and resources on the forum:

Guide to Campanella style

Free downloadable Celtic Campanella

I love the effect but I'm not very good at it. I love Camsuke's Campanella Waltz but there are still a couple of bars that catch me out - I hold down the fingers as much as possible to sustain the sound and then lift the wrong one.
    Latecomer to uke but loving it! Baton Rouge U108S soprano, Kiwaya KS-5 soprano, Uluru II concert low G, Barnes & Mullins banjolele UBJ2.

Thanks everyone. It is now clear as a bell. Coincidentally I had ordered a CD of John King's music, which hasn't arrived yet, because a jazz guitarist with whom I correspond thought it would be up my alley. My docket is already too full with clawhammer, travis picking, etc...but I will definitely keep this in mind. At the very least I think I will have to play arpeggios with it.

ripock, you might also enjoy Samantha Muir's YouTube videos
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Try this link https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yee0W0N4Atk

It seems to me that Samantha has two different YouTube names with one centred towards guitar and the other uke.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    Here are a few samples ... German only, but the videos are your friends

http://www.ukulele-arts.com/lernen/s...nella-technik/
    The clear tone of the Bruko sounds perfect for that style of playing.
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

It certainly does. A high quality soprano uke is exactly what is called for to play this style. Not having one though, forces me to stick to playing it on my concert uke, which seems to work very well for it.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by kypfer View Post
    ...the concept involves taking advantage of the re-entrant tuning of the ukulele, enabling one to use alternate strings for successive melody notes thereby allowing each individual note to "ring out" for as long as possible...
    You've been given good answers to your original question, but this is a bit misleading. The re-entrant tuning gives the ukulele player one additional tool for playing campanella style. Campanella can be played just as well with a linear tuning. Some of us play this style with both types of tuning. Remember, campanella is a guitar technique adopted by us ukulele players.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Thread Information