Geared Peg Tuners

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
Does anyone make a peg tuner that is geared that fits in a modern peg tuner hole? I am looking for something light to replace some peg tuners.

Duplicate post by accident. I don't see how to delete it.

Last edited:
A peg is a peg, there's no such thing as "modern peg" pegs are old fashioned.

You're probably referring to friction tuners. As Johnson mentioned above, there are pegheads, that require a tapered hole. Also, Gotoh planetary, which may require a larger hole.

The pegheds are great. I have had them and they work really well, are super smooth and precise.

Last edited:
A peg is a peg, there's no such thing as "modern peg" pegs are old fashioned.

You're probably referring to friction tuners. As Johnson mentioned above, there are pegheads, that require a tapered hole. Also, Gotoh planetary, which may require a larger hole.

Yes friction tuner. The old friction tuners have a smaller diameter shaft than modern friction tuners. I am inquiring to see if anyone knows of a modern geared tuner that fits a standard modern friction tuner hole, not the old 1/8 diameter holes. It appears there is not as all I have found to date requires some sort of reaming or enlarging of the friction tuner hole.

Thank you for the information!!!

Last edited:
I replaced the old friction tuners on my kamaka pineapple soprano with gotoh ukulele planetary tuners, and it was totally worth it.

http://g-gotoh.com/international/product/upt.html

It did require enlarging the holes a bit, but if you're not going to switch them back out later, it's not a problem.

As it is, I don't have a problem with friction tuners in general, just that the standard friction tuners kamaka installs on their ukes are ugly IMO, what with the nickel-sized screw head on the end. I switched to the UPTs just because the profile was smaller.

It is absolutely worth it to ream out the holes and install Pegheads or Gotoh UPTs. I have both and they both work just great. Minor quibbles with each - Pegheads are a bit long for the average uke headstock and may look a bit awkward - it's just a taste thing. When I had my custom built I requested Pegheads and had the luthier make the headstock a bit thicker to compensate - looks just right to me.

UPTs have a wide body at the base that may look funky to you - I didn't like the look at first, but asked Tookta at Mainland Ukes to install a set (I provided the tuners) on a cedar soprano and they actually don't bother me at all. For both brands there has to be a place to put the gears somewhere, so I don't have an issue with the extra length/girth.

Anyway - love them. If it's about convenience in tuning, go for it. If you're concerned about reaming out an old uke's headstock...the only thing that would make me hesitate would be hurting value. If I wasn't ever anticipating selling it, I'd install the geared tuners. Ukes are made to be played - might as well do what makes them play best for you!

Top Bottom