LfdM baritone Build in Progress

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I commissioned a baritone from Luis of LfdM last fall (wait time is about 1 year) and he has now started on it. I am fortunate enough to live about 10 minutes away so he invited me up to pick out the wood.

I had planned to go sitka spruce with amazon rosewood, same as my tenor. I have also played two of his baritones in this combo and they were superb. But looking through his wood stash I was like a kid in a candy store........I basically lost my mind. Luis got some Engleman spruce that he was very pleased with. We found a piece that was a winner, tap toned like a bell. As I was looking through the Amazon rosewood Luis disappeared and came back with a piece of bearclaw sitka, it was way too pretty to pass up and he really liked it. First change made.

I remembered he had built two classical guitars for a local customer using Bocote for the back and side. This wood if very pretty and is part of the Zircote family with a similar sound. He had one set left which was for a classical guitar but said I could have it. He liked the idea and choice so second change made.

Here are a few pictures of the back, sides and top in there raw state. With any luck it will be completed in September. I will add pictures of the progress as it evolves.

IMG_3504.jpgIMG_3503.jpgIMG_3501.jpgIMG_3500.jpgIMG_3505.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a few more pictures showing the color the wood will take on with finish applied. Luis squirks Ronsons lighter fluid onto the wood, it evaporates and leaves no trace but does a great job of showing off the color and grain while it is still wet

20170430_142422.jpg20170430_140347.jpg20170430_140408.jpg20170430_143237.jpg20170430_143310.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Bocote and bearclaw! It looks spectacular, Dave. That bearclaw is almost cross-hatched. I've never seen anything like it. No wonder you made the change.

I don't think I would ever be able to choose if let loose amongst a luthier's stash. I would want EVERYTHING. Congrats on making the decision, and on the start of your build. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Wow Dave, this is going to be another stunner. Congrats!!!
Looking forward to the future pics.

IKR? I need me a downupdave. ;)

Jim make a drive north this summer. It's only 12 hours from
NC !
We ( sam13) will share downupdave with you but you need to bring some ukes across the boarder to spare us poor Canadian the duty ( custom) charge ! Deal ?

Gonna be perdy!!!

Wow! That is really nice Dave. It looks like the baritone bug has bitten you big time. Nice combo for it. I keep telling my wife" this is the last one I'll have built".... and of course once she leaves the room "till the next one". Which is coming up soon. Webber of course.

Wow, that's some really pretty wood, and I love how it all matches up. And the reddish dye added to it is really nice. Good thing I don't live close....
Oh wait, Donna LoPrinzi lives right up the street.....:uhoh:

Great choices on the wood options. Gonna sound superb.

@Camuke...Thanks Campbell I am indeed lucky to have close access to Luis

@Solorule...Brenda I am glad to share my new goodies with you. I can see one of these baritones in your future

@ Ohio Belle...It is tough making the choice of what woods to use with so much choice. I always give Luis the ultimate say because tone is first and foremost. He knows I like a baritone with some brightness and sparkle so he would stir me away from a cedar top and mahogany back.

Last edited:
@Keod.....Thanks Casey I know Luis has been making good progress so more pictures are sure to follow. I told him I would be doing a build in progress thread and I asked for lots of pictures

@Jim.....As Brenda said you really need to make the drive up sometime. I am not the only Canadian around these parts with a stash of ukes. Brenda and Simon could wow you as well

@Eddie....I think it will look perdy as well.......it'll sound perdy too!!!

@Patrick....Yea I am flush with tenor.....not buying anymore :biglaugh: So baritones have my attention. I heard you were having David Webber build you a Parlor guitar, that is gonna be kick-ass. We need to talk!!!

@Simon...Thanks buddy, you know I was gonna go same wood combo as my tenor but then I saw this stuff. Luis liked the combo and said it would sound great together so done deal.

@ Nickie...Thanks, I really like the Bocote back and sides, I had seen one of Luis's instruments with it. The colors that you see are natural, no red dye, just some lighter fluid squirked on to mimic the appearance the wood will have once the lacquer finish is applied

Last edited:
adore the straight grain on the sitka top dave. it's gonna be a wonder. looking forward to the next set of pictures mate.

That bear claw is over the top. Can't wait for you and Solorule to get together and honor us with a duet video on your beautiful LfdM ukes.

That's going to be one stunning Bari Dave..........................if I could only get Luis to build me a concert..........argh!

Top Bottom