LfdM baritone Build in Progress

Luis then did a scale line drawing on paper (he is an old school engineer). He made a template and routed out the headstock . He liked it so much he will be offering it as an option.

IMG_3599.jpgIMG_3598.jpgIMG_3597.jpg20170603_111025.jpg

Last edited:
That's looking awesome Dave. Thanks for posting detailed pics. Nice headstock shape and cool interior shots.

It's looking good and very unique. A true custom
built instrument. I bet you are getting excited.
It will soon be your number one girl next to Sophia.

Thank you for the pictures Dave. The strutting on the sound board is so meticulous and well done. The instrument must make you so proud. I am very pleased for you.

She's looking terrific!! Wow!!

That bracing is a work of art all by itself, makes me wish soundboards were on hinges, just to show off what's under the hood! ;)

Love the headstock design Dave. How cool- two sisters! Love the names you chose. I'm so excited for you.

Very cool Dave! I like it. Being a Cocobolo owner, I'd go for the more colorful fretboard, myself.

I wanted to put these up with the other new pictures last night (posts #62 & 63), but had technical difficulties. As you can see I went with the more dramatic fretboard. The binding is snakewood which will be used around the body, top and bottom, arm rest and tail graft.

IMG_3630.jpgIMG_3629.jpgIMG_3631.jpgIMG_3632.jpgIMG_3633.jpg

Last edited:
Oh Dave, this is shaping up to be absolutely beautiful. Fretboard is amazing, headstock is drool worthy and that rosette- perfect fit. Can't wait to see and here the finished product.

It's coming together quite well, Dave. It's going to be a stunner. You have made some good choices. Keep posting pictures, we'll keep drooling.

Last of the pictures until further developments. Luis used snakewood for the tail graft which will tie in nicely with the snakewood bindings and armrest. His usual tail graft is narrow and straight, he suprised me with this shape. I am a firm believer in letting the luthier have "artistic liecence". I like it and think it will look great with the arm rest

Here is a piece of Macassar ebony to be used for the bridge, it came off the piece used for the fretboard so colors will match up well.

20170616_135627.jpg20170616_135850.jpg20170616_135930.jpgIMG_3634.jpg

Last edited:
Really like the look of that Bocote. Good call on the use of snakewood as an accent rather than for the entire body.

Really like the look of that Bocote. Good call on the use of snakewood as an accent rather than for the entire body.

Thanks Hodge, the Bocote really shows some golds and reds when finish is applied so it will balance nicely with the snakewood.

Last of the pictures until further developments. Luis used snakewood for the tail graft which will tie in nicely with the snakewood bindings and armrest. His usual tail graft is narrow and straight, he suprised me with this shape. I am a firm believer in letting the luthier have "artistic liecence". I like it and think it will look great with the arm rest

Here is a piece of Macassar ebony to be used for the bridge, it came off the piece used for the fretboard so colors will match up well.

View attachment 100978View attachment 100979View attachment 100980View attachment 100981

Love the snakewood tail piece. And based on that lower bout, looks like baby got back! ;-)

Man oh man, coming together nicely Dave. Love the snakewood also......very nice accent/contrast.

This was a real nice suprise, Luis sent a pictorial on how he does his arm rest.I will start with a previous picture showing the cedar block that is glued into the side. The top and back are glued on, the binding and purfing channels are cut, then the shaping begins

20170430_140232.jpg20170430_140320.jpgarmrest 1.jpgarmrest 2.jpg

Attachments

• armrest 2.jpg
    armrest 2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Top Bottom