LfdM baritone Build in Progress

Keep those photos coming, Dave. It gets better looking all the time. You can see the workmanship and attention to detail in every step. It is a joy to share this build journey with you.

Cliff

Loving these recent pictures of the new Baritone coming from Luis.

Looks spectacular. Congrats.

Great pics. Thanks Dave. OK, Now I know what fretboard you chose. :)

Both the ebony fretboard and bocote body look great with the snakewood binding.

Thanks so much everyone. Luis keeps suprising me with more photos about once a week so it is easy on my part. I just post them and we all get to go ohhhh, awwww :eek:

Luis sent pictures of the neck being carved and shaped to final dimensions. The first picture shows the nut has been fitted, Luis uses a zero fret. The strings rest on this fret and the string height is controlled by this and not the nut. The nut only holds the strings in place. Luis does this so no matter how many times you change strings or how different the diameters are the action height will always be consistent

IMG_3724.jpgIMG_3725.jpgIMG_3729.jpgIMG_3730.jpgIMG_3732.jpg

Last edited:
The neck is done and fitted. The instrument is now ready to be finished which involves sealing the wood, pore filling then applying multiple coats of lacquer.

This is the end of the build thread, next up will be a NUD post. I am not sure when this will be as Luis is building 4 instruments at the same time. Thanks to everyone that joined in and added their comments. A big thanks to Luis for taking all these pictures and helping to expand our knowledge of how he builds instruments

IMG_3740.jpgIMG_3739.jpgIMG_3738.jpgIMG_3736.jpgIMG_3735.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic!

Oh wow Dave - looks wonderful!!! So looking forward to your NUD. Happy for you!!!!!

I really like Louis' 5 piece neck. Is that Spanish cedar and Bocote?

Luis used Port Orford cedar and the double stringers are........I'm not sure, lol. We decided on Port Orford because it is lighter and stiffer than spanish cedar, which Luis does use a lot for necks. There is a carbon fibre rod in the neck as well for stiffness. The stringers were mainly for design and to pull or introduce the brown colors from the body into the blonde neck.

An interesting topic that Luis is strong about is the tone of the neck wood. He wants something that will carry tone and vibrations but not the same frequency as the body. This could cause sympathic resonance and possible problems, his thoughts

Last edited:
This is the end of the build thread, next up will be a NUD post. I am not sure when this will be as Luis is building 4 instruments at the same time. Thanks to everyone that joined in and added their comments. A big thanks to Luis for taking all these pictures and helping to expand our knowledge of how he builds instruments

We'll all be looking forward to that one!

Do I see two vertical lines design on the back of the neck?
If yes, that must be Luis new creation?
Will you be tuning as baritone or GCEA with the downupdave special strings?
We need to talk!

Top Bottom