LfdM baritone Build in Progress

Luis used Port Orford cedar and the double stringers are........I'm not sure, lol. We decided on Port Orford because it is lighter and stiffer than spanish cedar, which Luis does use a lot for necks. There is a carbon fibre rod in the neck as well for stiffness. The stringers were mainly for design and to pull or introduce the brown colors from the body into the blonde neck.

An interesting topic that Luis is strong about is the tone of the neck wood. He wants something that will carry tone and vibrations but not the same frequency as the body. This could cause sympathic resonance and possible problems, his thoughts

The Port Orford cedar neck must smell terrific. POC has a very pleasant scent.

My cedar top tenor from Luis has a 5-piece neck, and I've always admired that.

Do I see two vertical lines design on the back of the neck?
If yes, that must be Luis new creation?
Will you be tuning as baritone or GCEA with the downupdave special strings?
We need to talk!

There is no way in Hell this is being tuned GCEA.......Luis would kill me:p. This is a baritone only and must be tuned as one. These sound like a classical guitar because Luis designed a long scale length and big body to support higher tension strings tuned DGBE.

There is no way in Hell this is being tuned GCEA.......Luis would kill me:p. This is a baritone only and must be tuned as one. These sound like a classical guitar because Luis designed a long scale length and big body to support higher tension strings tuned DGBE.

I bet it would sound great with Nylon strings on it. That scale length is kind of a tweener for classical guitar strings though. I recently tried and was pleasantly surprised by the Southcoast Light Heavy gauge set on a 20" scale Baritone with light bracing that sounded choked with my usually preferred high tension string set-up.

That's one fast looking neck! Coming along nicely. Do you know what type of finish Luis uses?

He applies two coats of shellac as a sealer, then it is pore filled with CA and then receives multiple coats of water based lacquer. This is a different process then he did in the past. His last batch was done this way and Andrew from HMS commented on how improved the finish was.

Last edited:
He applies two coats of shellac as a sealer, then it is pore filled with CA and then receives multiple coats of water based lacquer. This is a different process then he did in the past. His last batch was done this way and Andrew from HMS commented on how improved the finish was.

Thanks Dave.

Right on, Bro! DGBE is why one buys a baritone. :eek:ld:

@Down Up Dick......yea baritone has that special low , deep resonant sound that is melow and relaxing.

@librainian.... Thanks for the compliments Andrew, yes it should really pop when the lacquer is applied. I am starting to get itchy fingers, it is soooo hard being patient

20170914181151.jpg20170914181025_1.jpg

Last edited:
There is no way in Hell this is being tuned GCEA... Luis would kill me. :p This is a baritone only and must be tuned as one. These sound like a classical guitar because Luis designed a long scale length and big body to support higher tension strings tuned DGBE.

Glad to hear that! ;)

Top Bottom