LfdM baritone Build in Progress

@ Alytw...Thanks Adam, you'll get to play it when it all done

@Osprey..Hey Cliff...this should be my last baritone...yea right, heard that before

@Bariukeish..The bearclaw really grabbed my attention as well. Sorry no duet with me and Brenda, I'm camera shy. I got a face for radio:biglaugh:

@stevejfc...I got lucky with the wood Luis had on hand so yes it should be a stunner. If you could talk Luis into building a "concert" that would REALLY be something

Nice updates Dave! Luis does great book matching of the both the top and back.
Bocote has great tone and looks. You really are got me to jonesing for a bari from Luis.

Sorry no duet with me and Brenda, I'm camera shy. I got a face for radio:biglaugh:

Talk Luis into building a "concert" that would REALLY be something

Balderdash:smileybounce:.

I think a duet, with faces, would be stupendous! You are both good looking- and your ukes are nothing to sneeze at either.

And if Luis made concerts........well, I would be in deep trouble!!!! I am already making my self sick pining for something else LOL.

That bear claw is over the top. Can't wait for you and Solorule to get together and honor us with a duet video on your beautiful LfdM ukes.

This is Dave second lfdm. He can do a duet of himself playing both ukes just like a member here name John. He did a duet singing with just himself.

Nice updates Dave! Luis does great book matching of the both the top and back.
Bocote has great tone and looks. You really are got me to jonesing for a bari from Luis.

Thanks Hodge.........glad I could add fuel to the UAS fire.

You are so right about the thought Luis puts into book matching. We had talked about doing a small decorative strip down the back. Once I saw how interesting the grain was at the seam I am leaving it as is. Even the way the lighter golden color grain angles in, touches then flairs out is pure artistry

20170430_142447.jpg

Dave, That is a really nice looking wood combo. It's going to sound great!
Keep sending the photos to keep us informed.

More pictures

I visited Luis yesterday and he is making good progress. He is also making two tenor ukuleles and a flamingo guitar. He LOVES flamingo music and building flamingo guitars is a great joy and passion for him.

He has the sides bent up, tail blocks and kerfing in place. The way he does the arm rest is interesting. As you can see he shapes a piece of solid cedar which is then glued in place to the side. He installs the top over it then shapes and carves it down to accept a piece of the trim wood which is glued in place then shaped to final form. This is very labor intensive. The first picture is of my tenor with a arm rest, the "after" picture if you will

14965755667141998420035.jpg20170430_140232.jpg20170430_140236.jpg20170430_140248.jpg20170430_140320.jpg

Last edited:
The back is done, braces and label are in placed and it is being glued to the sides in the form. Luis puts a coat of finish on the inside surface of the back to seal the wood. You can see the color change the finish makes compared to the perimeter of unfinished wood. This is left unfinished so the glue will adhere to the kerfing which has been glued to the the sides.

IMG_3564.jpg20170430_143651.jpgIMG_3565.jpgIMG_3538.jpg20170430_140347.jpg

Last edited:
Your bari is looking fantastic Dave. And I'm sure that it will sound great, as all of Luis' ukes do!

He LOVES flamingo music and building flamingo guitars is a great joy and passion for him.
I had no idea that was even a thing. :rolleyes:
:p
plank_ph1.jpg

Congratulations, Dave! That looks stunning already. You know, I'm not usually an envious person, but this is pretty much exactly the baritone that I would want for myself. So great that you're able to go out and hand-pick your own wood from one of the greatest luthiers out there. If I could do that, I think I would have commissioned a baritone from Luis long ago. Meanwhile, I'll just enjoy your pictures and share your joy. Thanks for letting us participating!

Congratulations, Dave! That looks stunning already. You know, I'm not usually an envious person, but this is pretty much exactly the baritone that I would want for myself. So great that you're able to go out and hand-pick your own wood from one of the greatest luthiers out there. If I could do that, I think I would have commissioned a baritone from Luis long ago. Meanwhile, I'll just enjoy your pictures and share your joy. Thanks for letting us participating!

Great to hear from you my friend. I realize how fortunate I am to live close to Luis and I am just happy I am able to share this with everyone.
You know if you ever get to Canada I would be thrilled for you to play it and make a visit to Luis's shop.

Awesome pics Dave. Sure makes me appreciate the work and craftsmanship involved. Nice touch to finish the inside. Always wondered how he did those bevels- very nice. It must be hard waiting for this beauty.

Awesome pics Dave. Sure makes me appreciate the work and craftsmanship involved. Nice touch to finish the inside. Always wondered how he did those bevels- very nice. It must be hard waiting for this beauty.

Yea Casey the work involved is very demanding and detailed. When I order a uke and it is a year out the wait is not bad........until it actually gets started. Then the last 3-4 months are very hard :p

This is so cool, Dave. Keep giving these updates with pictures. It gives us all a bit of a rush to see beautiful ukuleles come together

Cliff

From the 30th May 'til today you have kept me enlightened and educated with the nice pictures you have taken. I love everything about this latest creation which you have been sharing with all of us here in the family. As the others have written before me a hearty congratulations to you Dave. A beauty it is indeed. Jim

Top Bottom