LfdM baritone Build in Progress

This is so cool, Dave. Keep giving these updates with pictures. It gives us all a bit of a rush to see beautiful ukuleles come together

Cliff

Thanks Cliff, there should be more pictures in about a week or so. Luis says putting the body together happens fairly quickly once started. All the fine detailed work after that like purfing, trim, bindings and finishing take a long time.

From the 30th May 'til today you have kept me enlightened and educated with the nice pictures you have taken. I love everything about this latest creation which you have been sharing with all of us here in the family. As the others have written before me a hearty congratulations to you Dave. A beauty it is indeed. Jim

I am more than glad to share this with everyone here in the family. Looking at other peoples build threads is always an education for me.

Gosh I love build threads, thanks for sharing. That bearclaw sitka is really something else, gorgeous!!

Thanks for the compliments on the bearclaw.....when I saw it I was smitten:love:

I had read your are having Dave Sigman build you a Little River ukulele. I really like his instruments, congratulations. See if he will supply you with pictures so you can do a thread about your build as well

I had no idea that was even a thing. :rolleyes:
:p
plank_ph1.jpg

I'm sure Sukie would get a kick out of that!

Here are some pictures of the rosette. It has abalone shell in the middle then bordered on both sides with snake wood and black and white purfling.

IMG_3537.jpgIMG_3539.jpg

I decided to make a change from the usual all back ebony fret board. Because of the dark brown color of the snakewood trim I asked Luis for some Macassar ebony which has streaks of brown in it. He presented me with two choices, one more dramatic looking then the other. I have made my pick but feel free to say which one you like and why.

IMG_3549.jpgIMG_3548.jpgIMG_3550.jpgIMG_3551.jpg

Last edited:
Did you go for more streaks? I did... (Macassar ebony board and bridge is the only non-California wood on the LR uke Dave is building for me!)

That rosette is beautiful!!

The other fretboard is great too, more I look at it, the finer grain really compliments the bear claw... you can't go wrong here!

The other fretboard is great too, more I look at it, the finer grain really compliments the bear claw... you can't go wrong here!

It was a tough choice for me too, which is good, shows they are both nice. I will let others weigh in before I say what I picked

(New pictures on posts #47 & 48)

Last edited:
It is a tough call. The one with the streaks is really nice, but the one with less streaks is more subtle and won't compete with the b/s grain and the top bearclaw. Can't go wrong with either. I'd lean towards the less streaks for the subtlety.

I decided to make a change from the usual all back ebony fret board. Because of the dark brown color of the snakewood trim I asked Luis for some Macassar ebony which has streaks of brown in it. He presented me with two choices, one more dramatic looking then the other. I have made my pick but feel free to say which one you like and why.

View attachment 100822View attachment 100820View attachment 100823View attachment 100821

Hmm. It depends on the overall look element you want to add, symmetry and harmony #1, or asymmetry and interest #2, either is good. My choice would be to ask Luis. :)

I would lean towards #2, but would need to see it with the other woods

Hmm. It depends on the overall look element you want to add, symmetry and harmony #1, or asymmetry and interest #2, either is good. My choice would be to ask Luis. :)

Your choice is very good........I did ask Luis :D

Love the rosette!
I'd go for the fretboard with less streaks for the exact reason Doc J nailed - symmetry (but I am pretty boring).#2 is more interesting.
Will be fun to see what Luis suggests.

^^^^I agree with this, exactly.

Whatever you decided will be perfect but you need fret markers or I can't buy it off you in two years ;)

Whatever you decided will be perfect but you need fret markers or I can't buy it off you in two years ;)

Oh it will have fret markers........but just on the side, like my tenor. I am sure Luis will build one for you with fret markers on the face of the fretboard

I'm late to the party on this thread, looks like it will be ready soon. Excellent idea on the macassar fret board. Sounds like you're really enjoying the creative input! Looking forward to seeing and hearing how it sounds!

More progress has been made. You can see the lattice bracing Luis developed and uses on his classical guitars and ukuleles. Luis always asks you to name the instrument so this baritone is named Sienna. He put a nice inscription on the underside of the top. You can see it through the sound port even when the uke is completed.

Luis usually uses a snake head shape for his headstock but I wanted something different. I had seen him do a classical guitar style, but he thought the rosette gave it a folk guitar look so we went with a modified Gibson shape. He shaped it out with tape while I was there, until we both liked it.

IMG_3563.jpgIMG_3562.jpgIMG_3561.jpg20170603_110532.jpg20170603_110513.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom