Strings for stiffer action?

olphart

Reaction score
I have a Cordoba 24B that is becoming my main squeeze. I love playing the thing, but it has an issue that I never thought I would complain about. The action is too soft. The strings are just on the edge of being too floppy. It has the usual DGBE tuning and I'm also looking at changing that to DCEA to bring it in line with my tenor ukes.

Any suggestions on which string set to install to stiffen up the action just a hair?

I'd recommend trying the LML-NW set: http://southcoastukes.com/linear.htm
and start by tuning to Bb (F Bb D G).
It will probably sound great, but might be lower tension than you want. If so, tune it on up to C and see if you like that.

The longer I've been playing, the less I like floppy strings. I like linear G tuning on my Bari and found most fluorocarb sets floppy and the D string is awfully thick. I never liked the squeak of wound strings but I just changed out one of my baris to the middle 4 of a T-I classical guitar set. They are 3 wound and one nylon. The wounds are virtually squeakless and have very good med(leaning toward med hi) tension. Also, while I usually do do care for nylon, the one nylon e string is fine. All around nice set. Goes to show, you never know how your preferences can change over time.

Top Bottom