New Kanile'a export models?

FinnP

Reaction score
I want to buy a new Kanilea K1 tenor. I've read about the rosewood restrictions and that the new ones comes with ebony fretboard and beachsand fretboard dots.
Has anyone tried the new models, and is the quality still high?

I've not played any of the new models but why would the quality be any different? Kanile'a has been using sand for inlays for several years and it is always done well. Ebony is a more durable tone wood that has been used for years. In the acoustic guitar world, ebony has always been the Premium over rosewood for fretboards and bridges.

I have a Kanile'a KSE-T Premium that has both ebony fretboard and bridge, plus the headstock and fret markers are inlaid with sand. Cosmetically, it is a simple, sophisticated beauty, that sounds fantastic.

Yeah, ebony is usually the upgrade to rosewood - take a look at the Pono regular vs. deluxes as an example of that. I wonder how long before ebony gets slapped on the CITES list as more builders do this?

I have owned a Kanile'a KPE-T for two years that has an ebony fretboard, headstock, and bridge with the sand inlay fret markers and headstock logo. It's a really nice sounding uke.

I'm thinking manufacturers will start looking at alternatives. Ebony is awesome for fretboard but I'd bet it will get restricted sometime. KoAloha has done mahogany fretboards on their Opio and I really liked it. Baron Rivers just posted a Tenor with Gingee fretboard and it looked fantastic. I think Walnut woould make a greed fretboard. Gibsom has been making maple as an alternative to rosewood. And ..... this is before you look at synthetic alternatives. Blackbird is using a synthetic on their Farallon and Clara ukuleles. I can t wait to get a Farallon.......so I'm sure your export with Ebony is going to be great. And hey it's a Kanilea. Nuff said..!

Top Bottom