Islander MT-4 glued nut removal

bigsciota

Reaction score
The action on my Islander is way too low, and I've got another nut on order. I'm hoping to take out the current nut and shim it, just to make sure that'll solve the buzzing issues, but it seems pretty well stuck on. I've tried knocking as hard as I can without damaging the uke itself, and I'm unsure as to whether I should use acetone or a similar remover (there's no glossy finish, but I don't know what I could hurt by applying that).

Has anyone had this issue, and how did you deal with it? The other instruments I've had have all had nuts that were either loose or very gently glued into place. This one is really stuck on there, and I don't want to damage anything getting it off!

I've tried all that and it's not budging at all. For some reason this seems to have been properly glued on, and it doesn't want to come out!

Last edited:
I had a guitar with a nut that was glued in. To get it out, I used a Dremel moto-tool cutting wheel and very carefully sawed a groove all along the middle of the nut from the top. I was then able to press each side of the nut towards the groove which broke the glue bond. I hope this helps.

Tried heating it with a hot blow dryer first? May soften some glues. Also, have you done this before or watched a tutorial? It's all about technique when tapping that nut from the end. I use half of a clip on clothespin and give it "sharp" but not overly hard taps with a small hammer.

Top Bottom