Calling on all 8 String Ukulele Players

Reno Dave

Reaction score
Aloha to all,
I have been playing the 4 strings almost 15 years now and have become comfortable with it.
However, I took a jump into UAS and purchased a Pono MT 8 string ukulele.
I have noticed that I must take a different approach when playing the 8 string compared to a 4 string.
I was wondering if any of you 8 string players could send me any tips on playing and picking.
I have Kamaka strings strung on it and I know there are many different configurations of stringing.
Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Mahalo to all,
Reno Dave

Congratulations on your new uke, Dave!

No 8-string player, here. But I, too, am very interested in the responses to this thread. I would love to try an 8-string one day!

I have an eight string, and love it! I'm not sure I have a much to offer in the way of advise, though.

I'm a strummer, not a picker, and a thumb strummer, at that. I find no need to change my playing style to accommodate my eight string.

I hope you come to love your eight string as much as I do mine, and I recommend one to anyone who is the least bit curious about them....

Part of the fun with an 8-string can be some of the different tunings you can do, each giving a different sound. As a point, I have CGDA tuning on just about everything. On the 8-string it's currently CC-GG-DD-AA. Previously it was cC-gG-dD-aA. Have mixed snd matched each pair in every combo I can imagine, just to see which sound I prefer.

I flatpick and find the 8-string is comfortable that way, but it does take some practice.

Last edited:
A new owner of an Ohana taropatch. I have and had 6 strings, but this is my first 8 string. I am mostly a strummer as well, but what little picking I do, I pretty much do the same as with a 4 string. I have Worth clears installed for an amazing bright, clear tone and am contemplating using a Fremont soloist low g for my 8th string. I'm wondering if anyone is doing that as well. I am going for all the "chime" I can get.

A new owner of an Ohana taropatch. I have and had 6 strings, but this is my first 8 string. I am mostly a strummer as well, but what little picking I do, I pretty much do the same as with a 4 string. I have Worth clears installed for an amazing bright, clear tone and am contemplating using a Fremont soloist low g for my 8th string. I'm wondering if anyone is doing that as well. I am going for all the "chime" I can get.

The Ohana is the one I'm jonesing for. Which one do you have, Phil? The spruce top or all mahogany?

The Ohana is the one I'm jonesing for. Which one do you have, Phil? The spruce top or all mahogany?

I had to go with the mahogany for it's classic looks and I'm glad I did. Plenty of brightness with those Worth clears. If I got the Ohana tenor 8 string, I'd get the spruce top. Amazing chime for that kind of money. Can compete with 8 string tenors costing 2-3 times as much and more. All Mike McQueen had to do at the Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaway 2 years ago is to get someone to try one. They sold themselves once folks heard them.

Well, you have three choices every time you pick a note on a doubled course:

1. Pick both strings
2. Pick just the top string
3. Pick just the bottom string

You should practice each technique so that you can do it cleanly, so that you have the flexibility of deciding which to use on each note.

For courses where the strings are in unison (same note and octave), I think part of the appeal is picking both and getting that double sound. It's just a matter of getting used to picking through the first string, so that you hit the second one.

For courses where the strings are an octave apart, you can do something like thumb down to hit the top string, index finger up to hit the bottom string. Practice just going back and forth thumb down, finger up, on the same course until you get clean sound both ways. More often I find this is useful when you're trying to isolate a low-g bass note.

I'd say try picking the same things you've picked in the past, hit both strings, and see how it sounds. You may find that the new sound is pleasant enough without having to change your technique too much.

I bought a spruce top a couple months ago (the CK-70-8), I have it strung gG cC ee aa (a mix of Worth Browns and the brown fluoro strings it came with) and it sounds amazing -- rich, chimey, and boomy.

If I had known about the new Pono solid acacia taropatch, I"d have gotten it instead. Now I'll probably have to get that one as well....mahogany Ohana for the rich mahogany sound, the Pono acacia for the incredibly bright, loud, "In your face - LOL) sound. It's a hardship, but I'll do what's needed for my art.

If I had known about the new Pono solid acacia taropatch, I"d have gotten it instead. Now I'll probably have to get that one as well....mahogany Ohana for the rich mahogany sound, the Pono acacia for the incredibly bright, loud, "In your face - LOL) sound. It's a hardship, but I'll do what's needed for my art.

That one is pretty too. The friction tuners and thinner headstock probably make it better balanced than the Ohana CK-70/35-8.

As a point, I have CGDA tuning on just about everything. On the 8-string it's currently CC-GG-DD-AA. Previously it was cC-gG-dD-aA. Have mixed snd matched each pair in every combo I can imagine, just to see which sound I prefer.

What strings are you using for CC-GG-DD-AA? I must say, I don't have an 8-string, but it's very intriguing as a mandola player. My tenor uke is set up C-G-D-A, and it's a mix of different strings - I need a new C string pretty quickly, as it's starting to unwind. But I never know what to try next. (The one on there now is actually an old viola string - am finding out it wasn't designed for frets, hence the quick unwinding, but it's all I had on hand!) I prefer flatwound or not-wound over round-wound.

bratsche

I am reading all the posts and find them very positive. I find that some songs still sound better with a 4 string yet others sound great with the 8 string,.....I have more learning to do but the 8 string has opened up a whole new world of music to me.

The Pono 8 String MT is strung with Kamaka Stings : Gg cC EE AA. I have learned already that there are many other ways to configure the strings. For example a friend in Hawaii has his with a wound "low a" next to a High A on the 1st strings. Also others reverse the order of high and lows.

The more I learn the less I know
Keep the posts coming and thank you to those who have responded...
Reno Dave

Since I come from a 12 string and mandolin background, I'm more comfortable with the 8 string ukulele. I use Lava's and a Red instead of the wound on my Mele. I also use Fender light picks but use the more rounded edge.
Willie 5.jpg

For me, bar chords on an eighter take a bit more energy. I have taken to squeezing a rubber ball in my chording hand whenever I'm just sitting around watching TV.

I have 2 tenor eighters and 1 baritone. I love all 3. I never liked any 4 string bari that I tried. Much too guitarish. My bari eighter doesn't sound guitarish at all, but neither does it sound uke-ish. It has its very OWN sound. My teen-age grandkids pronouced its unique sound as VERY cool ! Life is good.

The 8 string ukulele has opened up another world of music for me. Lately, I have searched for songs that were originally recorded or played on 12 string guitars. My discovery is they sound really good too on a 8 string.

Boy oh boy oh boy. Now I have an ebay search tab open for 8 string ukulele. You guys are really tempting me with all this talk. Stop it! LOL

bratsche

Top Bottom