Koa Pili Koko (KPK) Deluxe Super Soprano - Solid Acacia body w/Maple Binding - Bone

ukuleleden

Reaction score
NUD:

The Koa Pili Koko Deluxe Super Soprano that I ordered on May 20th arrived from Hawaii safe and sound. A special "Thank You" to both Tina & Jason @KPK for their efforts to fulfill this build accurately and quickly, especially for a uke that was ordered with options. I opted for their Solid-Acacia Deluxe Super Soprano w/ Maple Binding and optional ($10) upgraded Bone Nut and Saddle.

The Solid-Acacia is very nice looking and well finished. The soprano body shape and size is larger than the Martin-shape/size in overall length and width. Looking into the soundhole you first see the gold foil Koa Pili Koko label, surrounded by a sturdy construction that is about average in it's tidyness. I've admittedly been spoiled with the exquisite interiors of my Martins and the KoAloha I currently own, and my previously owned Kiwaya and Bruko ukes who obviously go out of their way to look as good inside then they do outside.

The open gear tuners are smooth and allow easy/accurate tuning, and the Worth Clears sound really nice and are a good choice to generate a nice tone. The other uke that I have out to do an A:B comparison with is my Martin 0X Bamboo HPL. The HPL bodied Martin is louder and has more punch/bark and volume. But I sort of expected that from the Martin Soprano. Being made from solid woods, I anticipate over time the KPK should open up, and I will revisit this comparison down the road...

The KPK's frets are perfectly dressed, 14 to the body, 17 total - mounted on a nice concert size rosewood fretboard. Single/centered MOP fret markers on the rosewood fretboard at the 5, 7 and 10 fret positions, and a mere single side marker at the 5th fret. The Solid Acacia body has a very nice soft to the touch Satin finish that is nicely set off by the attractive maple binding (also available with rosewood binding). The concert length mahogany neck has a tapered C-shape that sits comfortably in my fretting hand, and is also finished in a satin which is both smooth and comfortable. Action is approx 2.5mm at the 12th fret, with exellent intonation. The uke just has that easy-playing no-fatigue feel that seemingly wants to be played all-day long.

To recap: A positive experience working direct with KPK, an impressive all-solid Acacia wood ukulele that is comfortable to play and is nicely constructed with no flaws. At $240.00, I will call this an excellent value. I will join the other KPK owners who give accolades to their KPK ukuleles...

IMG_2007.jpg IMG_2009.jpg IMG_2010.jpg IMG_2011.jpg IMG_2012.jpg

Description / Specifications from KPK's website:

** Includes Worth Clears Ukulele Strings & Gigbag **

... (LONGNECK) DELUXE SOPRANO Ukulele with Maple binding ... KPK ukulele's are solid wood ukulele's. Beautiful instrument with a nice tone at an affordable price.

FEATURES
Top, Back, & Sides: Acacia
Neck: Mahogany
Fretboard: Rosewood
Bridge: Rosewood
Nut/Saddle: Rosewood
Headstock Logo: Laser engraved
Tuners: Open-geared
Nut: Bone (optional)
Saddle: Bone (optional)

Model-specific features
Rosette (soundhole): Abalone
Purfling (body): None
Top Binding: Maple
Back Binding: Maple

Scale Length15 1/2"
Width at Nut1 3/8"
Width at 12th1 13/16"
Total Frets17
Frets to Body14
Waist4 3/8"
Upper Bout5 1/4"
Lower Bout7"
Body9 3/8"
Body Depth (tapered)2" to 2 5/16"

Last edited:
Awesome. :cool:

It is beautiful! And you are right about the sound opening up. My first "real" ukulele was a KPK tenor deluxe, solid acacia. Still love it, but I am a concert player now. My husband gets to enjoy it, though, and the sound is beautiful. I really want to get a concert deluxe KPK so I will have one to play. Great instruments, and for the price, very hard to beat.

Congratulations. I own a Koa KPK Concert and love the sound and playability, even more so than my Martin Concert. However, the Martin is louder. The KPK has a sweet sound and I play it 90% of the time. Happy to hear that KPKs are still available. :)

Top Bottom