Season 277: For the Kids again

Hi gang! Iam back from three week of camping and glorious weather. From the Poconos of Eastern PA to the woods of the Ohio River Valley it has been a most restorative break from the Virtual World!

I was hoping to get Ashley to join me for this one. Songs are always much better with her, but alas, she's been very busy this week. I gave it my best without her. The kids tried to mess me up at the end, but it was the fifth take, and it was almost over, so I pressed on. I hope someone out there enjoys it!

I have always enjoyed Counting Songs. It is a good way to teach little ones their numbers. Almost as good as sending them to the candy store with a handul of change!

This is too long for a bunch of easily distracted kids in a library, but I guess it could be a good lullaby. This has been one of my favorite poems since I was a little kid. I have a book titled "The Golden Book of Poetry," (I think that's the title--it's here somewhere) that belonged to my mother when she was a little girl, and she gave it to me when I was a little boy. It's full of good poetry for kids and has great illustrations.

Full disclosure:I've never done a day of railroad work in my life. I did work at a pipe company one summer in college, though. I was a brick mason.

My sweet son Salvatore loves reading, and he loves lullabies. A friend of mine, Shawn, gave Sal this book. Shawn told me that he'd had fun singing it to his son. I started singing this one to Sal the next night. The a cappella version's a few months old now, but the uke version's new for this week.

Thanks for a fun challenge, 'Librarian! And thanks for another great Season, Seasonistas!

Last edited:

The children's book "Morris Micklewhite and the Tangerine Dress" inspired this song! I want to revise it at some point.

Here is a quick take on a favorite of mine and my students.

For those of you still lurking on this thread, and haven't immersed yourself in Val's new season yet, as I have, (good puns and good songs already!) there are still a few more hours! Let's cram some more songs in. Every song equals a book, and it looks like I'm going to owe many!

For those of you still lurking on this thread, and haven't immersed yourself in Val's new season yet, as I have, (good puns and good songs already!) there are still a few more hours! Let's cram some more songs in. Every song equals a book, and it looks like I'm going to owe many!

You are going to be spending a fortune, Sir ... but in a very worthy cause!

I didn't think I was going to get one in this week but I sang this one this afternoon and someone described it as a lullaby. I've always thought of it as a lament by parents of teenage kids. Either way, I reckon it fits.

It's a lovely traditional song from Northumberland, England's most northerly county with a gorgeous modal melody. (not that you'd bore the kids with that bit of info, of course. :eek:ld::music: )

Forgot to mention, I got the season number wrong in the video but it's right in the blurb under the video.

Last edited:
Top Bottom