Season 277: For the Kids again

UkuleleLibrarian

Reaction score
Hey Seasonistas! Sorry we've been MIA for a few weeks. I'm serving on a children's book award committee for the American Library Association, and the work load has been brutal. This past month has had me reading over 300 pages a day, so there hasn't been a lot of time for ukulele videos. I'm finishing the heavy work up, though, and I'm excited to return to Seasons by hosting this week.

Anyways, I have a heart for kid's literature and kid's music, and that's what got me into playing the uke in the first place. I'm always looking for new songs to play for my story times, and was really happy to discover that Randy hosted a season for kid's songs back in Season 210. It was a fun season to listen to, and I want to revive it this week.

Here are the rules:

1. Play a kid's song (or any song appropriate for someone under the age of 12. It doesn't necessarily have to be written for kids) My favorite kid's song writers are Raffi and Jim Gill, but I would love to hear stuff I was unaware of before.

2. Record a new song for this season, please, and state somewhere that it's for season 277.

3. Please don't repeat any songs that you recorded for Season 210. Branch out! If someone else did a song for that season, it's ok to do it yourself for this season.

4. Someone in the video should be playing a uke at some point. Other instruments are OK, but I at least want to get a glimpse of a ukulele.

5. Season starts at 00:01 Hawaii time Sunday the 4th, ends 23:59 Hawaii time Sunday the 11th

I would love (REALLY love) to hear some original songs!

Bonus points if your song is relevant to children's literature in any way.

There is no song limit, and for every song performed, we will be donating one brand new children's book to the library of a local city elementary school that's really in need of new books. There may also be a prize for a few winners. We'll see.

Have fun, and I can't wait to see what you bring!

I'll start things out with a song I did for my first summer preschool story time. The phone ran out of storage space at the end, so we lost the last verse, but I can't do much about that.

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Great Idea! I am a storytime presenter too! Back in Season 138 I did storytime for my season also. My idea was to find a song or two i could do in my weekly storytime. It was great and I am sure this one will be great too!

Great Idea! I am a storytime presenter too! Back in Season 138 I did storytime for my season also. My idea was to find a song or two i could do in my weekly storytime. It was great and I am sure this one will be great too!

I Didn't realize you had done one, too! I'll have to go give the playlist a listen. I can't wait to hear what you bring to this season.

I think mini-RAB may have to make an appearance here.

This is great timing for a great theme. Our ukulele club has been invited to do programs for the multiple preschools around the Tulsa area for their summer program. I've been getting together a collection of songs to do. I bet I'll get lots of good ideas this week.

I love your donation idea for the books. This will be a fun week. Hope to get something done for you UkuleleLibrarian. Now the name makes sense :)

I'm going to have to have a think about this one. I did heaps of songs last time around, and Japanese kids songs are really hard! So is the song from Moana...

Difficult theme for a someone who doesn't have English as first language.
The children's songs one is familiar with is usually in native tongue, and one also wants to do a song that other seasonistas understand, though the rules doesn't require it.
I'll see what I can do. Is repeating a song from lullaby week cheating?

No, you can definitely do a song from lullaby week. You could also do a song in your native language, I would love hearing it. If you want to do one in English, but are having a hard time, send me a message and I'll refer you to some great kids songwriters.

I'm going to have to have a think about this one. I did heaps of songs last time around, and Japanese kids songs are really hard! So is the song from Moana...

Robin, if anyone could pull the Moana song off, you could. My daughter would love it.

This is great timing for a great theme. Our ukulele club has been invited to do programs for the multiple preschools around the Tulsa area for their summer program. I've been getting together a collection of songs to do. I bet I'll get lots of good ideas this week.

I can't wait to hear all you bring, Rex.

I love your donation idea for the books. This will be a fun week. Hope to get something done for you UkuleleLibrarian. Now the name makes sense :)

Yes, I'm an elementary school librarian. I can't believe you didn't know this. I guess it never came up.

Robin, if anyone could pull the Moana song off, you could. My daughter would love it.

Probably not going to happen this week. I did the frozen song a while back though :)

I've got a song now, so I just need to shake this cold...

Probably not going to happen this week.

I take it back. It looks like it's happening. All I needed to do was change the key and I can even manage they key change in the last chorus.

Great theme, Benji; it's not often that we get to think about songs for children! The book donation idea is a lovely one. (Good to hear that your workload is easing up!)

A redo of an original I did for Season 189 about Myths and Legends.
I think the Bunyip was conjured up to stop little kiddies drowning in waterways.

There are lots of children's books about the Bunyip.
This song is gloriously gruesome I'm afraid. Although I reckon it would make a 'fun' kids pictue book.

Last edited:
Dance tae yer Daddy (till the boat comes in)
A song from the North East of England... Newcastle or South Shields I presume.
It is a song for dandling/bouncing a baby on your knees when you are trying to get
them to sleep.

A dangling song, sung to get babies to sleep. From the Newcastle region of the UK.
*LYRICS*
Come here, maw little Jacky
Now aw've smoked me baccy
Let's hev a bit o'cracky
Till the boat comes in
Chorus: Dance ti' thy daddy, sing ti' thy mammy,
Dance ti' thy daddy, ti' thy mammy sing;
Thou shall hev a fishy on a little dishy,
Thou shall hev a fishy when the boat comes in.
Here's thy mother humming,
Like a canny woman;
Yonder comes thy father,
Drunk---he cannot stand.
Thou shall hev a haddock when the boat comes in.
Our Tommy's always fuddling,
He's so fond of ale,
But he's kind to me,
I hope he'll never fail.
Thou shall hev a salmon when the boat comes in

Last edited:
Top Bottom