Ohana SK-35 Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
I really enjoy your reviews . I wish you would include the nut width in each review .:2cents:

I have tried to for some time now. Did do in this one?

I really enjoy your reviews . I wish you would include the nut width in each review .:2cents:

Plus one more vote for the above here. The older reviews don't have that (IMHO) useful bit of information in them but Baz has included it in this particular review and I believe that he intends to continue doing so on future reviews.

Extract: "Incidentally, the nut width is a generic 34mm, so narrower than I would like too, but I suppose pretty standard for a Chinese instrument."

Last edited:
DUH ! How did I miss that ? Sorry about that , nut width makes a big difference to me with sopranos. One of the reasons I play Martins is the nut width , that little bit extra
makes a big difference for me. I agree with you about the bridge on the Ohana looking much better than the Martin. Martin even puts crappy looking bridges on their 5K 's now.
I'll never understand that. Sorry to start ranting about Martin bridges but I'm a Martin fan and these new bridges look unfinished and out of place.

Yeah been doing it for some time now - older ones, less so - but can't go back to most of them as no longer have the instruments in most cases.

I agree with you about the bridge on the Ohana looking much better than the Martin. Martin even puts crappy looking bridges on their 5K 's now.
I'll never understand that. Sorry to start ranting about Martin bridges but I'm a Martin fan and these new bridges look unfinished and out of place.

True - seen some really shabby Martin bridges lately - best one I've seen is on their cheapest - the 0X!

I agree with your thoughts about friction pegs vs geared tuners. It bothers me that many of the soprano instruments out there, especially those at a lower price point seem to have geared tunes. Actually many ukes of all sizes seem to have gone in this direction. I don't care for the look of the "ears" sticking out. I much prefer the sleeker look of the friction pegs.

I agree with your thoughts about friction pegs vs geared tuners. It bothers me that many of the soprano instruments out there, especially those at a lower price point seem to have geared tunes. Actually many ukes of all sizes seem to have gone in this direction. I don't care for the look of the "ears" sticking out. I much prefer the sleeker look of the friction pegs.

Same here . I hate to see geared tuners on sopranos. I have an SK-20S , the first thing I did with it was take off the geared tuners and replace them with friction tuners.

An a soprano it's ALL I want. It's partly weight, partly the ears thing, but mainly it's about space. I find that side tuners with gears get in the way of my hand on first position chords.

An a soprano it's ALL I want. It's partly weight, partly the ears thing, but mainly it's about space. I find that side tuners with gears get in the way of my hand on first position chords.

Yeah, I agree on all of those. Besides, decent friction tuners work great.

Yeah, I agree on all of those. Besides, decent friction tuners work great.

They do indeed. I think people who are down on them have simply never used good ones.

I had one of these a while back. I did prefer the SK35G but this one had its merits. The intonation was out which spoiled it for me. I eventually sold it.

In most cases though, poor intonation is readily fixable?

In most cases though, poor intonation is readily fixable?

As a guitarist since my teens and now a ukulele player, for me yes.

For a proud beginner with his/her first solid uke which would be the target market. Not so much. Last Ohana purchase. Remember Raggys Lanikai? ;)

Another good review - I've been lapping them up for a while now and have almost worked my way through all of them!
Any chance of a review of the Ohana long-neck soprano ... Giraffe SK30L (tenor neck)?

Um, not so. I have a soprano with a Gotoh UPT upgrade. For my taste, still too fiddly to tune accurately with ease. Give me geared tuners every time—but then, soprano isn't really my thing. On the whole I'm quite happy that friction tuners aren't more prevalent, particularly in the larger sizes: a rare triumph for function over form. (I only wish it were easy to find vintage ukes with geared tuners.)

I could do - but to be honest I struggle to find time to deal with the instruments I have ahead of me for reviews!

Top Bottom