Uke w/ Guitar String Spacing

Paulrick

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha Guitalele (Tuned: ADGCEA) that I have sitting around the house for the kids and i to plink around on. I went to change the strings the other day and for fun I removed the top 2 strings to see how it faired as a lowG 4-string uke.

I actually prefer the strings spaced closer together like a normal guitar. Does anyone know of any makers that build a slim neck uke or offer this spacing as an option?

I will take that as a no. :p if any of you builders out there are reading, shoot me a message. Perhaps we can come up with something.

Hey Paul. Pohaku ukes come with an inch and a half nut standard that's a little wider than normal. Plus Peter makes a wonderful ukulele.

I wouldn't take it as a no, but as people not knowing what spacing exactly you have in mind. :) Different guitars also have different string spacing and different nut sizes, and identical nut sizes may still have different string spacing closer to the bridge, so it's fairly vague.

What ukes are you using? Maybe folks here can list some options that have narrower nuts than what you are using.

Not very likely - Kala/Makala have 9mm spacing, Ohana are 9.5mm, & they are a pretty average ukes.

You could buy a blank nut & cut your own slots closer together, but the strings would still splay out the same at the bridge.

Top Bottom