bindings alert

I have sensed that you are getting a little bored of late Ken and I love that you are applying your genius to the problem of gluing bindings. However, if you could come up with the never fails, perfect neck/body cutting machine that makes a perfect neck to body alignment perfect every time: The patented Timbuck Neck-n-Nator. Now that would be a machine that would sell.

Yep I think springs could make it quick and smooth. But I was thinking compression springs out between the thumbwheels and the rollers.

I tried the springs..They didnt work co's due to the diferent variations in radii around the bouts the cauls just slipped sideways..If the uke was the Nunes design based on two round circles then it should work...I find locking the arms solid in the postions required, does the trick ...After hours of experimenting with diferent ideas finally this is the finished job... *Note* Cauls are made from Teflon ...The downside is I have to make more ukes with bindings to try it out:(

Last edited:
I tried the springs..They didnt work co's due to the diferent variations in radii around the bouts the cauls just slipped sideways..If the uke was the Nunes design based on two round circles then it should work...I find locking the arms solid in the postions required, does the trick ...After hours of experimenting with diferent ideas finally this is the finished job... *Note* Cauls are made from Teflon ...The downside is I have to make more ukes with bindings to try it out:(

Heavy springs (like valve springs) behind the cauls didn't work? I've seen side benders built along these lines. Compression springs like RPA mentioned.

Valve springs are compression springs Chuck But I dont have many of them lying about..but I have lots of other types .. Either way they didnt help....I suppose there's lots of room for improvement in this jig but it will do me for now as it is ;) ..just to test out the new design I bound the other side of the test piece ..and MDF is not the easiest of materials to bond to CA glue, but again I was very pleased with the results.

And Bob's your Uncle ,.......now get back to work ! :biglaugh:
Just have to add , the 12 fret Martin Style 2 has always been my favorite
ukulele. The binding gizmo is very cool , I wonder how Martin did it back in the day ?

Last edited:
I just bound a real Sopran body with the binding gizmo...My observations are ...It does a great job in the waist area and there is nothing wrong with that bit of the jig..But! it still needs some design tweaking on the swinging arm cauls...The arched back is more difficult to do than the front, but easier than my previous tape and fingers method...The front being flat is not difficult at all and I may do a few uke's with front binding only.....All in all it's not perfect but better than my old way. :2cents:

Last edited:
I just bound a real Sopran body with the binding gizmo...My observations are ...It does a great job in the waist area and there is nothing wrong with that bit of the jig..But! it still needs some design tweaking on the swinging arm cauls...The arched back is more difficult to do than the front, but easier than my previous tape and fingers method...The front being flat is not difficult at all and I may do a few uke's with front binding only.....All in all it's not perfect but better than my old way. :2cents:

Good on ya Ken. Innovation, don't you just love it.

Aw, come on, Ken! That takes all the fun out of it!

John Colter.

Top Bottom