Is there an all solid wood, cutaway tenor for around $300 out there? New or used?

bbb1

Reaction score
Hi folks. And adding insult to injury, and whether it comes with a pickup or not... And obviously, where to buy it. Doubt it, but eagerly awaiting promising suggestions. Thanks in advance, Bruno.

Thanks everyone. I do own a baritone from Mainland. Cedar top and rosewood on sides. Any positive feedbacks on their all mahogany cutaway tenors? Bruno.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I do own a baritone from Mainland. Cedar top and rosewood on sides. Any positive feedbacks on their all mahogany cutaway tenors? Bruno.

It's awesome!!! Really nice tone.

You might hear opposite opinions from others who have not had recent experiences, but on eBay, Bruce Wei Arts has a variety of all solid tenor ukes. I have three of his customs and one ready made I bought from the eBay store and that one is very good.

Never heard of Bruce Wei arts...I just had a look and there are some really interesting looking ukes. I will need to search the forums for feedback on them, but as far as design, shape etc go, they look really quite nice.

Sorry, missed the all solid part :)

In your price range you might want to be willing to consider laminate backing and sides. Keeping an eye out for used might also prove fruitful if you have time to wait.

Never heard of Bruce Wei arts...I just had a look and there are some really interesting looking ukes. I will need to search the forums for feedback on them, but as far as design, shape etc go, they look really quite nice.

You will most likely hear negative things because some years ago he allowed other Vietnam local builders to use his eBay store to sell, but they were inferior products, which gave him a bad rep, but he stopped doing that a couple of years ago and since then his ready mades on eBay are pretty good. He does make customs for a very reasonable price, which I recommend.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion but, in my experience solid wood instruments seem to carry something close to having a personality of their own, whereas laminate will provide you with some level of resistance, though at the detriment of tone and sound uniqueness and or quality, if I may say it this way. Or maybe it's just an impression of mine. When I listen to people playing these instruments on youtube, it sounds clear about the depth and brightness of these solid wood instruments. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
There are higher and high end instruments made with laminate, and they will sound as good or better than solid wood instruments. They also cost as much or more. This is very different from cheap laminated instruments that do lack and sustain and may sound dull due to cheap materials and general lack of quality control with cheap ukes, not because layered wood is used.

For good laminated ukuleles, Kiwaya/Famous are the best choice.

Hi folks, does anyone know anything about this Kala model? It's an all solid cedar and rosewood tenor. Thanks, Bruno. COMFORT EDGE TENOR FLORENTINE CUTAWAY

KA-SRT-CTG-CE

Top Bottom